The 30 Best Movies Of The 2000s

The 30 Best Movies Of The 2000s

It was the era of Amanda Bynes, "Mean Girls," and Disney Channel Original Movies.

220
The 30 Best Movies Of The 2000s

The years of 2000 to 2009 were my childhood and pre-teen years. During this decade, there were countless movies produced, and they are still some of my favorite movies to this day, such as "Mean Girls," "She’s the Man," or "A Cinderella Story." Others are reminders of childhood memories, like "High School Musical," "Cheaper By the Dozen," or "The Cheetah Girls." When I think back to the 2000s, I remember the incredible movies that the film industry created. So here are the 30 best movies of the 2000s:

1. 17 Again (2009)

Mike (Matthew Perry) gets transformed into his 17-year-old self (Zac Efron). With the help from his friend Ned (Thomas Lennon), who poses as Mike’s father, he tries to correct the mistakes he made during high school. It’s an overall hilarious film with a good message.

2. 27 Dresses (2008)

Jane Nichols (Katherine Heigl) is always the bridesmaid, and has been for 27 weddings. At one of these weddings, she meets Kevin (James Marsden). It’s a well-written drama with hints of comedic relief that will have you hoping Jane finds love.

3. A Cinderella Story (2004)

An unbearably cute love story and a high school take on the classic tale of Cinderella. Sam (Hilary Duff) is the Cinderella who meets her Prince Charming, Austin (Chad Michael Murray) at the dance, but loses her cell phone and has to decide if telling Austin that she is his Cinderella is the right thing to do. It’s one of my all-time favorite movies.

4. Accepted (2006)

The main character, Bartleby (Justin Long), doesn’t get into college, so his response is to create his own college with the help from him friends (Jonah Hill and Adam Herschman). The plot line is so creative and filled with humor.

5. Aquamarine (2006)

A movie about a mermaid (Sara Paxton) trying to find love with the help from two friends (Emma Roberts and JoJo). It was one of my favorites during 2006.

6. Bride Wars (2009)

Two friends (Kate Hudson and Anne Hathaway) turn enemies when their weddings fall on the same day. The movie is hilarious as it is filled with plots of sabotage and revenge to ruin the other’s wedding.

7. Bring It On (2000)

The "Bring It On" movie series is one of my favorites. The choreography is always impressive and entertaining to watch. In the first film in the series, Torrance (Kristen Dunst) becomes cheer captain, only to learn that the previous captain stole all of their routines from another team.

8. Cheaper By the Dozen (2003)

This was always my favorite movie to watch with my family because the whole plot of this movie revolves around family. The parents (Steve Martin and Bonnie Hunt) have 12 children, and they have to deal with the complications that 12 kids brings.

9. The Cheetah Girls (2003)

A Disney Channel Original movie about four girls (Raven-Symoné, Sabrina Bryan, Adrienne Bailon, and Kiely Williams) who form a girl group in an effort to win a talent show. The songs are fun and easy to sing along to.

10. Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (2004)

The main character, Lola (Lindsay Lohan), moves to a new school and gets the lead in the school play instead of Carla (Megan Fox). Their feud continues as Carla has tickets for the Sidarthur concert and Lola doesn’t. The rest of the movie involves trying to sneak into a concert, an after-party, and the performance of the play.

11. The Devil Wears Prada (2006)

Andrea Sachs (Anne Hathaway) becomes the assistant to Miranda Priestly (Meryl Streep), and the job is tougher than it looks. The drama follows Andrea as she struggles with being Miranda’s assistant.

12. Freaky Friday (2003)

Teenager Anna Coleman (Lindsay Lohan) switches bodies with her mother, Tess Coleman (Jamie Lee Curtis), just days before Tess’s wedding. The film is hilarious, because a teenager has to act like her mother and her mother has to act like a teenager.

13. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (2001)

The story of Harry Potter follows three wizards (Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson) as they attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The films have become a worldwide phenomenon, and it's definitely a must-see series.

14. High School Musical (2006)

Troy (Zac Efron) and Gabriella (Vanessa Hudgens) have given us all hope that we will sing karaoke with a stranger on New Year’s Eve and end up going to the same school. It’s my favorite Disney Channel movie, and I can still sing all the songs word for word.

15. Holiday in the Sun (2001)

Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen had a long list of movies during their younger years, but "Holiday in the Sun" is one of their best. It’s set in the Bahamas as they go on a family vacation and the two girls find love. It’s a heartwarming and cute movie and ever since I watched it, I’ve wanted to go to the Atlantis Resort.

16. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003)

A writer (Kate Hudson) is working on a piece about how to lose a guy in 10 days for the magazine she works at. Meanwhile a guy (Matthew McConaughey) bets his friends that he can make any girl fall in love with him in 10 days. They pick each other as their target and the movie follows their story.

17. Ice Princess (2005)

The ice skating and costumes are enough to make anyone wish they were able to ice skate. A teen (Michelle Trachtenberg) joins the world of figure skating, and has to deal with a competitive member (Hayden Panettiere) and learning to skate to the best of her ability.

18. John Tucker Must Die (2006)

A girl (Brittany Snow) befriends three other girls (Sophia Bush, Arielle Kebbel, and Ashanti) after they learn that their boyfriend (Jesse Metcalfe) is cheating on all three of them. It’s filled with many comical moments as the four girls try to let John Tucker know how it feels to be dumped.

19. Legally Blonde (2001)

Elle Woods (Reese Witherspoon) expects her boyfriend (Matthew Davis) to propose to her, but instead, he breaks up with her. Elle decides to follow him to Harvard Law School, just to find he has a new fiancé (Selma Blair), but Elle finds a new love interest in Emmett (Luke Wilson). The plot is comical, and inspires viewers to chase their dreams.

20. The Lizzie McGuire Movie (2003)

A class trip turns into Lizzie (Hilary Duff) meeting an Italian pop star (Yani Gellman) and performing on stage at his concert. The music is so catchy and the sights of Rome are beautifully captured.

21. Mamma Mia! The Movie (2008)

"Mamma Mia" is my mom’s favorite musical and I have seen it many times, along with the movie. The Bride (Amanda Seyfried) is in search of her father and invites the three possibilities to her wedding without her mother (Meryl Streep) knowing. The storyline is interesting and the soundtrack is one of the best to sing along to.

22. Mean Girls (2004)

The Plastics (Rachel McAdams, Amanda Seyfried, and Lacey Chabert) befriend the new student at their school, Cady (Lindsay Lohan), and in turn, Cady ends up losing herself. It’s the most quotable movie and the perfect one to watch at any sleepover.

23. The Princess Diaries (2001)

A high school girl, Mia (Anne Hathaway), learns that she is the heir to the Genovian throne. Her grandmother, the current queen of Genovia (Julie Andrews), stays in town to teach Mia how to behave as the future queen.

24. The Proposal (2009)

I’ve watched this movie so many times with my mom and sister that I can almost quote all the lines. It’s a comedy about a woman (Sandra Bullock) who is at risk of being deported from the country. In order to avoid being deported, she forces her assistant (Ryan Reynolds) to propose to her.

25. School of Rock (2003)

A man (Jack Black) in need of a job pretends to be his roommate and becomes the long-term substitute teacher at an elementary school. Instead, of teaching his students the typical subjects, he teaches them about rock n’ roll in hopes of entering them into a battle of the bands. The creative plot includes humor and good music.

26. She’s the Man (2006)

This is a comedy where Viola (Amanda Bynes) pretends to be her brother in order to play soccer, and falls in love with her roommate (Channing Tatum). It’s the perfect movie to make anyone laugh and another go-to movie for a sleepover.

27. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (2005)

Four friends (Blake Lively, Alexis Bledel, America Ferrera, and Amber Tamblyn) find a pair of pants that somehow fit all four of them. They spend the summer sending the pair of pants to each other while they’re all in different places. The movie showcases the importance and power of friendship.

28. Step Up (2006)

Tyler (Channing Tatum) gets into some trouble and has to complete his community service at a school for the performing arts. There, he meets Nora (Jenna Dewan) and becomes her temporary dance partner. It’s my favorite dance film, and it's also the reason that Channing Tatum met his wife.

29. Sydney White (2007)

A modern twist on the tale of Snow White. Sydney White (Amanda Bynes) tries to get into her mother’s old sorority, but is denied by Rachel Witchburn (Sara Paxton). As a result, Sydney decides to fight back against the Greeks. The movie includes many Snow White references and it’s so fun to watch.

30. What a Girl Wants (2003)

The film is mostly set in London as Daphne (Amanda Bynes) tries to reconnect with her father (Colin Firth), who is Lord Henry Dashwood. Daphne must learn how to fit into his world in order to build a relationship with him.