3 Important News You Missed While Being Distracted By The Presidential Debate

These stories barely made headlines.

28
Associated Press

While you were preoccupied with watching the disastrous Clinton vs Trump debate concerned about how gender played a role in the duration, or how Lester Holt disappeared or even distracted by Melania Trump's dress, there are some important news you probably missed--which won't be making headlines anytime soon.

1. A Texas lawyer in a Nazi uniform opened fire at a strip mall injuring nine.

The Houston suspect wore swastikas on his uniform during the mass shooting on Monday KRPC-TV reported. He wounded nine people before being shot dead by police. The attacker has been identified as a local lawyer, Nathan Desai. Nazi paraphernalia was also found at the shooter's home. His neighbors claim he had been recently acting paranoid. Nowhere in the reports did the word "terror" come up and that's probably why this wasn't brought to your attention. Although local media have been reporting heavily on this while bringing up terror in the story, mainstream news outlets have failed to identify this incident and for what it really is. Officials currently dismissed it as an act of terrorism as he's only "disgruntled" according to Daily News.

Daily News reports:

"Ready said that Nazi emblems were found on the shooter, along with a .45-caliber handgun, a “Tommy Gun” and roughly 2,600 rounds of ammunition. Both weapons were purchased legally at least five years ago, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms."

"Officers searching the shooter's vehicle crowded around a cop holding a notebook emblazoned with a swastika that was found in the car, video shows. More Nazi paraphernalia was found in his apartment along with military memorabilia and other guns."

With all the swastika they found, the reports might as well have called him a Nazi, but they didn't, only someone dressed as one. Newsflash, white supremacy still exists and people get radicalized in different ways.

2. During the past week, over 300 civilians were killed in Aleppo.

Heavy Russian and Syrian air strikes led to even more brutal conditions for Aleppo as the death toll hit 366 this past week in eastern part of the city. The vicious attacks targeted rebel-held areas, holding roughly 250,000 people, as the cease-fire collapsed on Thursday. Humanitarian convoys and medical services have been targeted and the attacks by Russia have been called "barbaric" and accused of "war crimes" by the U.S. and the UK according to the New York Times. There are only 35 doctors left in the city to care for hundreds of trapped patients reports BBC. More than 90 died on Friday and more than 100 died on Saturday.

It is so serious that the "World Health Organization wants to set up safe routes immediately to evacuate sick and wounded Syrians from besieged parts of the city" according to BBC. The US pledged $364 million in aid to those affected by the war. Though the efforts to help are underway, most still question "what is Aleppo?" AJ+ reports that Syrians are tweeting #HolocaustAleppo to remind you that Aleppo is suffering.

3. Experts may have found the cause of Crohn's Disease

Here's a bit of good news. Scientists, until recently, did not know the cause to Crohn's disease, an inflammatory bowel disease. For the first time, a fungus has been identified and linked to the disease according to Science Daily. Recently, a new study found that a new bacteria, Serratia marcescens and the fungus Candida tropicalis, along with previously identified E. coli bacteria, are also involved.

"Among hundreds of bacterial and fungal species inhabiting the intestines, it is telling that the three we identified were so highly correlated in Crohn's patients," Mahmoud A Ghannoum, PhD, professor and director of the Center for Medical Mycology at Case Western Reserve and University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center said in the study.

Approximately 565,000 people in the U.S. are affected by Crohn's disease which causes diarrhea, cramping and pain in the abdomen, weight loss and other symptoms. Ghannoum said that this new study can lead to new treatments, including medication to prevent the two bacteria and the fungus from working together.