25 Things To Know About Moving To The South

25 things to know about moving to the South.

2405
Venture Galleries

When I moved to South Carolina a few months ago, I went through a bit of culture shock. I had never realized how different things were in the "infamous South". As a Northerner, I found myself constantly Googling different terms or asking native southerners why things were the way they were. To save you a bit of time, here is an extensive list of what I have learned since my arrival in the Bible Belt…

1. Chacos are a fancy type of sandals. They are worn by men and women, and can apparently be worn for hiking.

2. If you see “Meat +3” on a restaurant menu, it means you can order a meat entree, with three sides. I’ve found that I am a big fan of fried chicken, with mashed potatoes, hushpuppies and green beans.

3. Some southern folk are extremely attached to the confederate flag. Just don’t even mention it.

4. A southern girl’s wardrobe consists of norts (Nike shorts), XXL T-shirts and fancy game-day clothing (such as dresses, or nice blouses).

5. A southern boy’s wardrobe consists of high white socks (that they pair with sneakers), super short shorts (did you get them from the Baby Gap?), and floral shirts.

6. There is a church on almost every street corner.

7. Almost every church is Baptist.

8. Almost everyone attends church.

9. Football in the South is like a religion itself. Home games on Saturdays, church service on Sundays.

10. Dabo Swinney is the Clemson equivalent to Coach Taylor (Friday Night Lights, duh).

11. Tailgating is an all day event. And many people have “inherited” their tailgate spot. Seriously.

12. Much to my dismay, not every southern person has a cute southern accent.

13. Target is not easy to find.

14. Southern people are very courteous drivers. No one ever honks their horns or flips me the bird if I cut them off in traffic.

15. No one here knows how to drive in the rain, or the snow. Everyone panics.

16. When it snows just a few inches, they cancel school…not joking. Many Southern states are unequipped to handle snow, so they just cancel things.

17. You should own rain boots, a rain jacket and an umbrella. You should also own “sweater weather” type clothing. It does get chilly here, contrary to popular belief. Like today, the high is 61. And it is raining.

18. I have heard the phrase “Bless your heart” more times than I can count. Sometimes this is a good thing, sometimes it is not.

19. Going apple-picking in the mountains is a normal fall weekend activity.

20. You cannot buy alcohol on Sundays.

21. Most liquor stores close around 7 p.m.

22. Bi-Lo, Ingles, and Food Lion are grocery stores.

23. It is very difficult to find good food that is not southern cuisine. Because of this, it is smart to ask locals for recommendations and to always read online reviews.

24. Life here is a little more laid-back. As my dad said, “southern folks seem to have a more leisurely lifestyle.” There is no hustle and bustle, or rush hour traffic (at least not in the small towns), and everyone takes the time to appreciate what he or she has.

25. Overall, the South is a great place to live, full of great people and great food. If you haven’t visited, I highly suggest it, for southern hospitality is a very real thing.