25 Reasons to Go Greek

25 Reasons to Go Greek

Are you considering going Greek?

276
25 Reasons to Go Greek
Julia Harris

For those of you getting ready to graduate from high school, I'm sure you already know this, but you're getting ready to experience a year of lots of transitioning. Lots of late nights studying or doing laundry, even after you promised yourself you'd go to bed early that night. You'll be stressed out to the point of tears sometimes, especially towards the end of the semester. In college, not only are you taking harder classes, but you're seriously preparing for your future and learning how to live on your own.

But in the midst of all this chaos, it's nice to have a home away from home. For me, my second home is the Gamma Psi chapter of Kappa Delta.

Being a Kappa Delta means..

1. Having a strong support system.

Whether it's having sisters in the audience cheering you on at a pageant, or having a shoulder to cry on when you lose someone close to you, there's always a plethora of sweet sisters there for you.

2. Having study buddies.

With 80+ girls in our chapter, chances are several sisters have the same major as you. They may be ahead of you, and can prepare you for what's to come, or they may be at the same point as you and you can all study together. Our chapter takes academics very seriously and worked hard last semester to get the highest GPA out of all the sororities on campus.

3. Being surrounded by sisters wanting to help you grow stronger in your faith.

Our sorority is a Christian-based sorority. For our chapter, we meet once a week at a sister's house, and have a Bible study. Even though we come from all different denominations, we can still gather in fellowship, read the Bible, and have a GroupMe for devotionals. We also have chapter church, where our chapter attends a local church service together.

4. Having random movie nights in the chapter room.

It's pretty nice to be able to escape your cramped dorm room and watch movies in the chapter room. Whether it's a sappy chick-flick, or the scariest of horror films, it's always nice to spend time with your sisters.

5. Going on late night trips to McDonald's.

Because when you stay up late, you're going to get hungry. What's the fun in going to McDonald's by yourself?

6. Meeting sisters all over the world in random places.

I cannot tell you the number of times I've been on a trip and seen KD letters. I was just in New Orleans in line for Café Beignet a few weekends ago, and the girl in front of me had on a KD shirt from Ole Miss. It's exciting to meet new sisters!

7. Building confidence in yourself and others.

One of our big projects is the Confidence Coalition, where we help other women and young girls learn to be confident in themselves. As part of this, we have Free Yourself Friday, a day when we wear no make up in order to promote the fact that we don't need to hide behind makeup in order to feel good about ourselves. We also pass out balloons around campus with sweet messages written on them in order to help people feel good about themselves. You can visit the Confidence Coalition website here to learn more.

8. Helping prevent child abuse.

One of our philanthropies is Prevent Child Abuse America. We take child abuse very seriously and it's heartbreaking to think that children experience this. Every year we raise money for the organization through our big Shamrock event--a golf and tennis fundraiser we have in the Spring.

9. Always having someone to go to the cafeteria with you.

You'll never have to eat alone. Unless you want to.. But who wants that?

10. Having sisters who will pick you up if they see you walking around campus.

I cannot tell you the number of times I've been walking across campus and a sister has pulled up and asked if I wanted a ride. It's especially a blessing when the monsoons are upon us here in the delta!

11. Lots of laughing.

There's never a dull moment in Kappa Delta.

12. Having a workout buddy.

In the midst of all the college craziness, it's important to remember to stay healthy and workout. It's nice having sisters motivate you and workout with you!

13. Helping out other sororities and fraternities.

We are constantly helping out the other Greek organizations on campus, and they help us, too! Whether it's donating blood for Kappa Alpha, or helping Tri-Delta raise money for St. Jude, we're always willing to lend a helping hand.

14. Hitting the back roads with your sisters and jamming out to your favorite songs.

Because sometimes, especially in our small college town, there's nothing else to do, but drive around town and sing your favorite songs with your sisters. Or just drive around and talk about life.

15. Having friends in other sororities.

Because long before we joined Greek Life, we met many of our friends at orientation, recruitment, and campus tours. Contrary to popular belief, just because you're in different sororities does not mean you can't still be friends with each other.

16. Having opportunities to visit your sisters who live off campus and spend time with their pets.

This might just be the best point on this list. I'm kidding, but it is really nice especially when you miss your pets at home.

17. Giving back to the community.

Whether it's volunteering at the community festival, or cleaning up the community, we're always happy to give back to the people who've given us so much.

18. Going to sports together.

It's always fun to watch your favorite sports with your favorite people!

19. Having a whole hall full of sisters you can visit if you get lonely.

This is an awesome part about being in a sorority--you always have a friend.

20. Having a big sister as a mentor.

I love my Big! I don't know what I would do without her! She always listens to me, and gives the best advice.

21. Having sisters to go with on adventures.

Whether it's a spontaneous trip to Acid Falls on a hot day, or just a trip to Walmart, it's always more fun when you're with your sisters!

22. Going to fun concerts and events together.

We love going to concerts and events with each other!

23. Always knowing someone at any function you go to on campus.

If you show up to a school event (a meeting, performance, etc.), you're going to see sisters there.

24. Always having someone to sit next to in class.

This is always nice, especially the first day of class. It eases the anxiety of figuring out where to sit.

25. Having an endless supply of love.

If you had to pick the best part about being a Kappa Delta, it's that no matter what you have 80+ girls and even more alumni who love you and want what's best for you.

Kappa Delta means the world to me and my sisters. When I asked them the question, "What does being a Kappa Delta mean to you?", I got some really touching answers. Here are some of the responses I got:

"Honestly, Kappa Delta is so much more to me than a group of girls; it's my home away from home. When I talk to others about Kappa Delta, they are all like 'I could never be in a sorority' and it's sad because they will never experience something as incredible as Kappa Delta. I couldn't imagine the past four years without Kappa Delta."

"It's my escape from reality. My home life isn't the best and when I come home to my sisters it makes me happy!"

"It literally is a getaway, like as much as my family may drive me crazy I know I can come to anyone in this chapter."

"A great group of girls who see me at my best and my worst and always stick around."

Kappa Delta is one-of-a-kind, and I am so thankful to be a part of such a strong and special sisterhood.

Love in AOT!