5 Reasons To Go Greek

5 Reasons To Go Greek

It's easily one of the best decisions I've ever made.

84
5 Reasons To Go Greek

Whether you are entering your freshman or sophomore year of college, there are a million things to think about for the upcoming year. Am I going to remember everything I need to bring? Are all of my clothes going to fit in my closet? I should probably talk to my roommate(s) about x and y. Do I get supplies yet for my classes?

Well, one other question I highly encourage you to consider, although it may not seem that important now, is what do I want to get involved in? College universities, especially Big 10 universities, have so much more to offer than classes and a diploma. If you're heading to a Big 10 to obtain a certain GPA for X major, you're making a mistake. You are not going to get nearly as much out of college as you can; you are not going to make the footprint on your university that you have the ability to do; you are not going to make a quarter of the memories you could.

A year ago, I asked myself this question, and my answer was: I want to get involved in Greek life. I want to Go Greek. Now, a year later, I couldn't be happier with my answer. Here's why going Greek should be yours:

1. You surround yourself with positive, smart, fun, and determined people. In high school, I felt like there were people in my friend group who secretly wanted to see me fail or tried to drag me down with them in the midst of their drama. In my sorority, that would never happen. Instead of having people in my life who want to see me down, I am surrounded by 140 women who want to lift me up and see me be successful. If anything, my confidence is so much higher than it was in high school because I know I have an army of 140 women supporting me. It's a really empowering feeling, and it's something you really can't get anywhere else.

2. You help people. I've always enjoyed service and volunteering, whether that involved going on a mission trip, serving at a soup kitchen, or visiting an assisted living home. As a member of a Greek organization, you dedicate yourself to a philanthropy, meaning you stick to a specific cause and continue to help that cause. What I find to be really fulfilling about the service within fraternities and sororities is that the philanthropies were established centuries ago when the organization was, meaning that you can really see the impact your organization has made on that cause over the years. To see the results of your hard work and dedication makes everything 100% worth it.

3. You become a part of a fun and supportive community. Not only do I find myself receiving support from the women in my own chapter, but I find other outlets of support from every other Greek chapter on campus. What made hosting my sorority's philanthropy so amazing was seeing all of the other fraternity men and sorority women on campus coming to support us. Not only is going to another fraternity/sorority's philanthropy supportive and charitable, it's also really fun! Greek organizations do a stellar job at creating fun and interactive events while contributing to a good cause.

4. You make real, lasting friendships.

It's crazy how much your friendships in high school differ from your friendships in college. In high school, friendships were almost forced since you shared classes with your friends and saw them nearly every day at school. In college, there is a whole new level of effort that needs to be put in friendships, making them so much more genuine and meaningful. Being in a Greek organization takes this to an even higher level because you share so much more with your sisters/brothers. Formal recruitment is all based on values, meaning a lot of where you end up depends on what your values are and what you are passionate about. With your brothers/sisters, you'll find that you care about a lot of the same things, but all have different personalities and interests. Sharing a core set of values and beliefs is really what make friendships strong and lasting.

5. You find a home.

It's corny, I know...but what else am I supposed to call 140 supportive women and a house we all share? Not only do the members of your Greek chapter share a physical "home," you share an emotional and sentimental home. The values, beliefs and friendships you develop in your Greek organization will ground you and provide you with a whole new meaning to the word "home." You'll find your fraternity or sorority a place where you can feel safe, be yourself, and be happy, all while being surrounded by people who love and care about you. That's a home.

Register for formal recruitment by clicking on this link, and you are that much closer to finding your home in college! http://www.begreek.org/