I Revisited The Lyrics Of Taylor Swift's '22' Now That I'm 22

It's the anthem for 22nd birthdays.

1287

I recently turned 22, and, in all honesty, I didn't really care. Nothing special happens at that age. You're not one step closer to any privileges -- unless you count running for president as one -- and it's just one year closer to having to adult for the rest of your life.

It's not exciting.

With every twenty-second birthday though, the song "22" by Taylor Swift is bound to be heard over 90 times.

It's ever popular line, "I don't know about you, but I'm feeling 22," is screamed by almost every woman on their 22nd birthday -- or when somebody starts a sentence with "I don't know about you."

It's so popular, but is the song really about being 22? Are the lyrics really relevant?

Let's take a look.

Verse 1:

"It feels like a perfect night to dress up like hipsters."

That might be your style, or maybe you're having a hipster themed party, but I did not feel the desire to dress like a hipster.

"And make fun of our exes."

Any night is a good night to throw around some smack about exes. They're exes for a reason.

"It feels like a perfect night for breakfast at midnight."

Again, always applicable. You don't need to be 22 to enjoy that.

"To fall in love with strangers."

If that's your thing, sure. Falling in love in one night is a little out there though.

"We're happy, free, confused, and lonely at the same time. It's miserable and magical."

This defines young adulthood altogether. The last part especially, since I'm 22 and about to adult every day, but, hey, I can still party.

"Tonight's the night when we forget about the deadlines. It's time."

This is any given college student at 11:55 in the middle of a party when they suddenly remember the history quiz they have due at midnight.

Chorus:

"I don't know about you, but I'm feeling 22."

Honestly, 22 doesn't feel a whole lot different, but, yes, I am 22.

"Everything will be alright if you keep me next to you."

This is me talking to my beer pong partner after we won our first game and are about to rematch.

"You don't know about me, but I'll bet you want to."

I don't even know who Taylor is talking to in this line, so I'm not even going to try.

"Everything will be alright if we just keep dancing like we're 22."

Dancing doesn't solve your problems -- though I wish it did -- and you don't unlock any new dance moves at 22. It's still fun, I guess.

Verse 2:

"It seems like one of those nights. This place is too crowded. Too many cool kids."

Nothing about being 22 here. Just a busy place full of popular people.

"It seems like one of those nights we ditch the whole scene and end up dreaming instead of sleeping."

I too can say I didn't go out and stayed up all night.

"Tonight's the night when we forget about the heartbreaks."

This didn't necessarily happen when I turned 22, but it's a really good feeling to not think about that stuff. Also it was my birthday so that felt good too.

Outro:

"It feels like one of those nights, You look like bad news. I gotta have you."

Still nothing really "22-ish" here, but if you like the bad boys (or girls), go ahead.

In summary, the song "22" by Taylor Swift has very little to do with actually being 22. It is a feel good bop though, and there's zero shame in listening to it 600 times when you do turn 22.

Now it's time to patiently wait for her next age related single to drop. Until then, just play this song over and over again.