It is hard to believe another semester has practically come and gone... which also means another thing is among us: FINALS.
For those of you who have never experienced finals week, or who need a refresher on how to survive finals week, here are a few things to keep in mind:
1. You have survived the semester!! That is something to be extremely proud of. All the mental breakdowns have been completely worth it. I promise.
2. Make sure you know when all of your finals are. I know this may sound crazy, but it is easy to forget when a final is especially with all the other preparation that goes into finals week. Sometimes finals are not even held in the same room that the lecture or lab was held in.
3. Make a list of all the things you need to know for each final. From this list, you can then see what you need to spend the most time studying, so you do not over study the wrong material.
4. Find a group of people you can vent to during this time. This will help you more than you realize.
5. Go ahead and accept the fact that you will stress out majorly. You will cry... a lot. But that is perfectly fine.
6. Have a studying strategy and method set in place for each class. For example, making flash cards for one class may work perfectly fine. However, you may benefit more from rewriting your notes or outlining the textbook in another class.
7. Make sure you eat. I know it is easy to stress eat during this time, but it is also just as easy to forget to eat. Your body and brain will thank you once you give it some nourishment. Reward yourself with some pizza or Cookout to treat yo' self.
8. Ask your professors questions. Do not be afraid to ask questions if you do not understand something. Professors really are there to help, and they understand what it is like to have finals staring them in the face. They have all been in our shoes before.
9. Pray. A lot.
10. Take breaks from studying. I know this may not sound logical at times, but honestly you will need a break. Go for a walk, spend time with friends, or watch some Netflix. You will need some relaxation in order to truly retain what you have been studying.
11. Please for the love of God, get some sleep. You really will do better if you make a point to get adequate sleep during this time. Now, I will not judge you if you decide to take a nap in the library.. we have all been there.
12. Plan mini study sessions with friends from class. You may not study well in large groups, however teaching things to other people has proven to help us learn better ourselves.
13. Find something to motivate you that does not involve stress. Each of us have our own ways of motivating ourselves. Find a way that works for you that is healthy and stick with it.
14. Go workout. Yes, I know this may sound crazy. However, exercise does put you in a good mood due to the fact that it releases endorphins. This is also another healthy break from studying.
15. Sign up for tutoring if needed. Some colleges provide tutoring all throughout finals week, and the week before. Take advantage of this service if you need it. There is no shame in getting tutoring, I promise.
16. Have faith in yourself.
17. At the end of every finals week, there is some type of break. Keep reminding yourself that all of this will be over soon, and you can reward yourself with a much deserved break.
18. Do not stress yourself out trying to calculate your grade. I know it is always good having an idea of what you may need to make on the final in order to get a certain letter grade in the class, however do not let this intimidate you.
19. Try your best. If you honestly try your best, that is all anyone can ask of you.
20. Remember you are not defined by your GPA. Yes, I understand how important it is, but it does not define who you are as a person.
21. Go in that room and kill that final. You know what you know, and have confidence in that. What you know will make up for what you do not understand as well. If you blank out on a question, just simply skip it and come back to it.
22. May the curve be in your favor.