21 Ways You Know it's Winter in Florida

21 Ways You Know it's Winter in Florida

How us Floridians distinguish winter from every other season.

111
21 Ways You Know it's Winter in Florida
Ana Simon

I don't know if you can really consider what we experience as winter since 70 degrees with a cool breeze is summer for most other places, but we'll work with what we've got. All year long, Floridians wait for this time of year to role around, and you know the seasons arrived when...

1. The temperature drops around 10 to 20 degrees.

All year long, we live under the scorching heat. Just by stepping outside you can already feel a bead of sweat running down your forehead, but during this time of the year that doesn't happen! The temperature drops from the 90s or 80s to a cool 70 or 60 degrees with the occasional and very looked forward 50 degrees. A cool breeze picks up, too, and we know winter has arrived.

2. Starbucks cups change from their dull white to the cheerful red with white designs.

You know winter has a arrived when Starbucks whips out there traditional red cups with cute designs. Even if you're not a Starbucks fan you HAVE TO go just for a cup.

3. Almost every day consists of a clear blue sky.

While other states get white winters, we get blue ones. Basically every day of the winter season in Florida consists of clear sunny skies; the perfect weather to go to the beach or drive around in your car while loudly playing Christmas or Hannukah tunes.

4. Everyone starts wearing leggings or pants.

Everyone wears leggings anyways, but people start wearing pants too. Plus this is the one time of year that when you wear leggings, you don't sweat!

5. Long sleeves, long sleeves, long sleeves!

Yet again another article of clothing we wear all year round, but don't sweat in during these few months.

6. Some people even start wearing boots...

I don't know how they do it, but they do.

7. All the stores put up Christmas windows.

Some people go to the mall to shop, I go to the mall to look at all the pretty windows (and shop).

8. Cute Christmas stuff!

Along with the well decorated windows, all stores begin to sell cute Christmas decorations, clothes, and accessories. We stock up our Christmas inventory to then only use the items for two months and then start the binge cycle of buying the next year.

9. Lights everywhere!

No matter where you go, there will always be a row of palm trees covered in lights.

10. Publix.

The second you walk into Publix, you see everything Christmas. From Gingerbread houses to all their other Christmas decorations and goodies, the second you walk in you've been bombarded with cheer.

11. Candy Canes!!

Candy canes are the candy corn of Christmas. Except maybe even better. You can't go without eating at least three candy canes during the winter season.

12. Flavors change.

The shift from pumpkin spice to candy cane/mint begins!

13. Traffic:(

Although most things are good, there is one bad thing about this season. All the snow birds, people that live up north, come down and the traffic is terrible.

14. Pillsbury Christmas cookies!

Everyone's favorite holiday cookies begin to come out during October, but the Christmas trees and snowmen add a little bit of happiness and warmth to them.

15. ABC's 25 days 'till Christmas begins!

No matter what Holiday you celebrate you begin the countdown to the countdown when November starts to roll in.

16. Christmas Commercials!

Every commercial has to have snow, carolers, Christmas songs, or a beautifully lit house.

17. Catalogs!

Even though no one really pays attention to the mail anymore, when Christmas comes along no one can wait to get their hands on all the magazines that will be full of cute pictures in cute clothes.

18. Sales, sales, sales!

Winter season? More like sale season! Every store has some sort of sale, discount, or buy one get one free.

19. Holiday shopping!

Whether you like shopping or not, this is the one time of year you probably do. Holiday shopping, whether it be for yourself or someone you love, is a season tradition. You will never see a mall more packed than during the winter months.

20. Bath and Body Works (insert heart eyes here).

All the holiday scents are shipped to the store and the second you take a step into the store you are blasted with a mix of smells, such as campfires, woods, and sugar cookies.

21. Gifts!

Whether you're giving or receiving, this time of year is one full of gifts, both tangible and not. Enjoy everything you receive from clothes, to love, to money, to hugs. Just like this season, every gift is special.

Happy Holidays! May your season be full of love and joy:)