21 Things About Living With Your Best Friends

The memories you'll make will be so worth it.

57
Katherine Kozal

My college living situation has been great each year.

Freshman year, I was paired up with, and lived with a great person that I still consider myself friends with, even though we don't talk as much and we no longer live together.-I will never forget the memories.

My suite mates and I have made it through *almost* four years of living together, and it's practically flown by. The three of us have grown close over the past few years, and I couldn't imagine it any other way. During the end of our sophomore year and the beginning of our junior year, we added a fourth into the apartment, and we decided to keep her because she completes us. The four of us have been through so many ordeals and amazing things. We've been there for eachother in good times and in bad times. The memories we've made along the way are priceless.

Here's a few reasons why living with roommates that are also your best friends is the best thing ever:

1. You can talk about almost anything with them. When the conversation gets weird, you can laugh with them and continue.

2. They will help you dye your hair from a box and will be there to laugh with you when your desired dark brown turns your hair black. They will comfort you while you wait for it to fade to the color you actually wanted. Then they will still accept you as your hair grows out and ends up being three or four different colors.

3. They will curl your hair for you, or french braid it, because you all know you can't do either to your own hair successfully.

4. You keep a tally of how many times you give up during the semester, and are not at all shocked when someone adds 30 marks to the tally in one day. College can be a rough time. Some days are shitty.

5. The people they dislike are almost always the people you can't stand. It's so comforting to know.

6. You make dinner together occasionally, or use their spaghetti noodles because all you have is fettuccine. But you ASK them to use their pasta (or eat some of their chips), because you're not a d*ck.

7. In your apartment, day drinking is totally acceptable after a long shift at work or a tough exam. Little to no judgment is passed because you might be in the same place in a couple of days.

8. They will make you food when you're sick in bed and will understand if you're too sick to eat their food.

9. You'll have weeks where everything seems to go wrong, but you decide to dress nicely and look like you're trying and succeeding, rather than failing and looking ugly simultaneously.

10. Friendship nap time. Much more comfortable and restful than the average nap. It's always easier to nap when there is someone beside you. College is also a time that you regret every nap you didn't take when you were younger. Usually, this regret happens when you're in a lecture and struggling to keep your eyes open, at no fault but your own to procrastinating and staying up late.

11. They won't judge you for wearing sweatpants to class. Or leggings every single day. Or literally never wearing matching socks. You've got to do what you've got to do to survive college, man.

12. You'll occasionally have a guy texting you who wants to "Netflix and chill", but you're not feelin' it. Your roommates will help you craft the perfect response to send to his text that pleads "I just wanted to hang out."

13. They'll cheer you up. You can come home from work and vent about your day, and they will listen and make the day end better than it started.

14. You'll have days where you're so stressed out and busy that you forget to eat or drink water, and your roommates will ask you if you have done either that day. Or you'll text them at 1 p.m. and tell them you've forgotten to human that day. They won't judge you because they (unintentionally) did it last week.

15. They'll craft with you. Paint, color, make Shrinky Dinks, Perler beads, you name it. Best friends who craft together, stay together.

16. Video game nights can get intense, but they end civilly--most of the time. Mario Kart or Mario Party brings you all together in the end. Sometimes you even make irresponsible decisions like procrastinating by playing games.

17. Movie nights are the bomb. You may disagree on what you each want to watch, but a compromise is eventually made and you spend the night bonding over one of the favorites.

18. Deciding who left dirty dishes in the sink can be a challenging feat. You occasionally argue about it, but someone eventually breaks down and ends up putting them in the dishwasher.

19. Tagging each other in too many Facebook posts or articles that you know the other will enjoy. Occasionally someone gets annoyed, but for the most part, you all enjoy the laughs that the tagging brings.

20. Life will get crazy, but these friends will be there for you through it all. The stress will try to consume you, but they will remind you that the end of the battle is near. Even if you have a semester or two to go.

21. You'll spend the years together, getting to know each other, making inside jokes, creating lifelong memories, and forming bonds with friends that will last far beyond graduation.