2016-2017 NBA Western Conference Playoff Predictions

Can anybody stop the new look Warriors?

19
The Hometown Fan

Just like in the Eastern Conference there is a clear cut favorite out west, the Golden State Warriors added the best player in the conference to their record-breaking bunch. San Antonio will contend as usual and the Clippers always believe that it's their year.

Here are the eight teams I predict we'll be seeing in the Western Conference Playoffs in April.

1. Golden State Warriors

Projected record: 65-17

Last Season: 73-9

Last year Golden State completed the greatest regular season of all-time but couldn't put the icing on the cake in the Finals,becoming the first team to ever lose a 3-1 lead. They could've brought back everyone from last year's team and still been the best in the west but they made one of the biggest moves in free agent history by bringing in former MVP Kevin Durant. They won't break their regular season wins record but they'll breeze through their schedule winning over 60 games once again.

2. Los Angeles Clippers

Projected record: 56-21

Last Season: 53-29

This may be their "Big 3's" last chance to chase a title with both Blake Griffin and Chris Paul set to become free agents after this season. Last year it seemed like they had finally caught their break when Stephen Curry went down with an injury but in their next game neither Griffin of CP3 was able to finish. If Blake, Cp3, and DeAndre Jordan can all stay healthy and coexist on the floor they are a real threat to the Warriors.

3. San Antonio Spurs

Projected record: 53-29

Last Season: 67-15

It'll be the first time in 19 years that Tim Duncan won't be on the court for the Spurs but expect them to win over 50 games for the 17th straight season. They'll have one of the best frontcourts in the league with Pau Gasol replacing Duncan to team up with LaMarcus Aldridge and Kawhi Leonard.

4. Oklahoma City Thunder

Projected record: 50-32

Last Season: 55-27

OKC will look a lot different without Durant and Serge Ibaka but Russell Westbrook is more than capable of carrying the load. In 48 games without Durant in the last two seasons, Westbrook averaged 30.5 points, 9.2 assists and 7.6 rebounds per game with 11 triple doubles. Look for Steven Adams to average a double-double and have his best season yet.

5. Portland Trail Blazers

Projected record: 47-35

Last Season: 44-38

Portland was the most surprising team in the league last season with their youth movement led by their star Damian Lillard. His backcourt mate C.J. McCollum won the most improved player after raising his scoring average by 14 points. With these two guards expect the Trail Blazers to be a perennial playoff team.

6. Utah Jazz

Projected record: 45-37

Last Season: 40-42

Utah has put together one of the best young cores in the NBA Gordon Hayward, Rodney Hood, Derrick Favors, Rudy Gobert, Trey Lyles, and Dante Exum. Veterans George Hill, Joe Johnson, and Boris Diaw were signed this offseason and the Jazz will finally take the next step by making the playoffs.

7. Memphis Grizzlies

Projected record: 43-39

Last Season: 42-40

An aging Grizzlies team got the worst of the injury bug last season causing them to play a total of 28 different players an NBA single-season record. Even with all those injuries they still made the playoffs. Memphis is looking to leave the grit and grind era in the past they'll bring Zach Randolph off the bench to give Marc Gasol the paint to himself and the addition of Chandler Parsons improves the team's shooting.

8. Houston Rockets

Projected record: 42-40

Last Season: 41-41

Mike D'Antoni is back coaching with his 7 seconds or less offense and James Harden will be his point guard. Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon were signed to help spread the floor but they are both below average defenders joining a team that already struggles to defend.