20 Things You Remember if You Went to Dunmore High School.

Once a Buck Always A Buck

919
Caitlin McCafferty

Right next to Scranton, Pennsylvania, there is a small borough called Dunmore. It's small, but it holds a big place in all the Dunmore High School Alumni. Dunmore High School is very unique and you know these to be true if you went to good 'ol DHS.

1. The Late Room.

Coming in late to school meant you had to sit with Mrs. Mataloni in the late room. No one really understands the purpose but who doesn't love spending time with Mrs. Mataloni.

2. "Free Day Fridays."

Toward the end of the year, teachers(actually the students decided much to the teachers protest) began to have "free day fridays" where we would not do any work. Sorry Coach Hop.

3. Bucks Football.

If you were not at the football game on the Friday nights in the fall screaming for your friends and the coaches, were you even a Dunmore student?

4. The constant battle with Holy Cross High School.

Living in a small borough with another school was bound to create a feud. "The School Up The Street" was nothing compared to DHS.

5. Having your parents call to get you out of school for a "Doctor's Appointment".

If half the student body did not leave on a Friday by twelve with a "doctors appointment" it was not a typical Friday in DHS.

6. The Ceremonial Coach Kelly Silent Whistle Before Dodgeball in Gym Class.

Friday's called for dodgeball in gym class but before we could play, Pegs had to do the ceremonial silent whistle in honor of Coach Kelly. If you laughed though, Pegs kept doing it until no one made a sound.

7. Spirit Week.

The Seniors win every year. But everyone loves to come in the Sunday before and decorate their hallways(or half of the hallway if you are a freshman/sophomore). The activities stayed the same each year and it was always entertaining to watch the events, especially the milk chugging contest.

8. The Dress Code.

The Dunmore High School dress code is that you have to wear a collared shirt and khakis. However, after the first two weeks of school and the first two weeks of school, everyone starts wearing hoodies and t-shirts. We all believe Coach Hop just decided to pick his battles with the student body and that was not one of them.

9. The S.O.S Box.

No one is really sure if anyone uses this or if any of the faculty checks it. Its only purpose now really is to be an inside joke among students.

10. #KelceyStrong.

Everyone from Dunmore knows the story of Kelcey Hallinan whether or not you knew her personally. Kelcey holds a special part in every Dunmore High School alumni's. Forever and Always #KelceyStrong

11. Baker Sass.

If you took Spanish, you have experienced the Baker sass. Sometimes even if you did not take Spanish you experienced the sass.

12. You had "School Parents".

You were really close with one teacher or two and they were referred to as your school parents. They always had your back whether you needed a snack, advice, homework help and they would always have something for you to do if you had a free period.

13. Panini Day.

Thursday's, running to the cafeteria was what you had to do in order to get a panini. They were the best thing to eat in the cafeteria and if you were late, you would spend all of lunch waiting in the line to get one.

14. Miss Buck.

Because what other school do girls fight to wear a football helmet covered in sequence with buck antlers on it in front of everyone?

15. " No rips, holes or tears in your jeans, no leggings, yoga pants, joggers, sweat pants or basketball shorts."

This saying is tattooed in your head. Every Thursday Coach Hop would rattle off this list of things you were not allowed to wear.

16. December 23rd

The best day at DHS hands down. Everyone brings in their Xbox's to play games and the teachers give out candy canes and put movies on. Everyone would also be home by like 11:30.

17. Coach Hop's speech before any school dance.

"I don't want any funny business tonight. I do not sleep these nights because I am worried about reading about one of you in the paper the next morning. No one drive under the influence of ANYTHING. If you need a ride I will pick you up, heres my phone number...And if you call me any time other than tonight you will be very sorry".

18. The Guidance Office became your second home

Guidance's always had their door open to students whether it was help with college or even just to complain about something going on in the school. Plus they always had Jolly Rancher's or Starbursts

19. Earl the Squirrel

Earl the Squirrel and his relatives sacrificed their lives in order to get the students out early. RIP Earl.

20. Even though you say you cannot wait to graduate, once you are gone you miss it.

Everyone cannot wait to get out of DHS(or so they say) but once they are gone they wish they could go back. It is home.