Twenty Reasons I Love OSU Football Games

My 20 favorite reasons why game day Saturdays are the best Saturdays in Stillwater.

30
Halie Ransom

For my very first Oklahoma State football game, I was barely a month old. I had season tickets before I could even yell, "Go pokes!" There are photos of me wrapped up in blankets in my dad's arms as my dad is covered in orange and black from head to toe on our way to the old stadium that mini Cowboy fans today were not even born yet to see. He still has the winter cap he is wearing in the photos.

From the very beginning, I was destined to be a Cowboy fan. My red hair wasn't red growing up, no, it was orange. We didn't own a single piece of red clothing in my house, no matter the hue or shade. We had season tickets until we could no longer afford them. When we weren't at the game, we were gathered around the television snacking on game day treats my mom made. My dad sat through all of my persistent questions about off-sides rules and everything else I needed to learn about football. For a moment, real life stopped and we all were able to just focus on a football game as a family.

Then, I grew up. There were really no other options in my mind, and I became more than a fan, I became a member of the Cowboy family. I graduated high school in 2011, and moved into Stillwater to start my freshman year the end of that summer. Your first football game as a student is a completely different experience compared to going simply as a fan. You feel like you belong to something. You feel a part of the energy. These are your Cowboys.

A lot has transpired in my life in the past few years that I've been enrolled at OSU. I've experienced love and I've experienced losing that love. I've experienced failure and learning how to keep going despite that failure. I've learned who I wasn't and became who I am. Despite all of the stress of growing up and college life, one thing remains constant: OSU football games with my family.

When I learned I could buy a family member season tickets on a student discounted price, my dad started to go to all the home games with me. We have both been able to experience things such as the entire student section rushing the field whenever we won Bedlam my freshman year. We have been able to for a few hours on a Saturday, escape anything stressful about life to cheer on one of the few constants in my life.

I would like to share some of my favorite things about those Saturdays:

1. Grabbing BBQ at the little stand on the corner of Hall of Fame with my dad before the game. Peanuts, I believe.

If you've never been, check it out! He's been there over a few decades and it's delicious. The owner is quite a character as well.

2. YOUR OKLAHOMA STATE COWBOYYYYYY MARRRRRCHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING BAND!

3. HERE COMES BULLET!

Sure, the time last year when Bullet decided to develop a mind of his own was terrifying for about three seconds, but thankfully no one got trampled and we still are allowed to have our Bullet. (Even if he is only allowed on half the field now. Come on, Bullet.)

4. The hot dogs and the gigantic cups of soda, of course.

Even though it always grosses me out to see people picking up the ones left in the stands after the game.

5. The wave song every time we score.

6. Good for a cowboy first down and ten (AND GOAL)

7. The sense of community.

8. The feeling of having thousands of people cheering alongside you when situations get suspenseful.

9. All of the fun chants.

10. When Pistol Pete scares us all into going OOOOO-SSSSS-U! COWBOYS!! whenever we least expect it.

11. Seeing my dad light up at the littlest things.

12. Ignoring the real world and any difference in opinion we may have for a solid few hours.

13. Making random new stadium seat friends.

14. The hilarious songs that match perfectly to situations during the game, such as "What's Up" by 4 Non Blondes when the play is under review.

That's the HEY HEY HEY YEAH WHAT'S GOING ON?? song for anyone curious.

15. Watching the players run out before kick off and the adrenaline in the air during their run out.

16. All the fun game-day pictures.

17. Singing the alma mater song at the end and feeling a part of something once again.

(Especially, if you're a fifth year senior and battle senior-itis negativity on the regular.)

18. Picking out a fun game-day outfit.

19. Going out to eat with family after the game.

20. Winning!

Or still being loyal and true even if we don't.