The 20 Pros and Cons Of Greek Life Every Woman Considering Rushing Needs To Know

Wear your letters with caution, or random strangers will attack you with love.

8997

There’s no doubt about why Greek Life is so appealing. You grow up watching the movies, and now you see all the posts on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Snap Chat. You see the fun, the laughter, the letters, the friendships. You hear all the biased arguments of why you should Go Greek from every sorority woman.

Formal Recruitment is finally around the corner and you’re so hyped up, but…

Has anyone ever told you what it’s really like to Go Greek?

From one sorority woman, to a potential sorority woman, I can guarantee that when you decide to Go Greek, you aren’t always signing up for what you had in mind, and it’s about darn time we start being honest.

Here are the 20 Pros and Cons of Greek Life that every woman needs to consider before Rushing…

1. Pro: You’re About To Have Sisters For A Lifetime

It’s not four years, it’s for life.

Your Sisters are going to be your best friends, your travel companions, and your go-to girls for anything. You’ll meet them and grow with them over the next four years, but by the time you finally graduate, you’re going to realize just how inseparable you all are. By the time you’re all 80, you’ll probably still get together from time-to-time and throw-what-you-know, because you can.

2. Con: Your Facebook Notifications Are Going To Have No Chill

Seriously, no chill, even though it’s 3 am.

With all of your new-found friends, congratulations, you’re always going to have FB notifications. But actually, always. Whether it’s important posts in the group page, a Sister starting a “poke” war with you, or a Sister begging someone to go to McDonald’s with her at 3am, you’re never going to not have a notification. So I hope you set a desirable notification tone, because you’re going to hear it, a lot.

3. Pro: You Get Letters, And A Gang Sign

You will put letters on everything and throw-what-you-know everywhere.

If you don’t show off your new letters every day, did you even Go Greek? Letter shirts, letter bags, letter sunglasses, letter mugs, letter notepads, letter pens, letter canvases, letter key chains, letter bumper stickers, letter everything. And everywhere you go, you’re going to throw-what-you-know, and advertise it on every social media site possible. You’ll be at the library studying, then next thing you know you have 20 snap stories of you and your new Sis throwing what you know with the hashtag: “Studying.” Studying, or photoshoot? Also, if you’re the first to Go Greek in your family, they’re going to be convinced you’ve joined a cult or gang, so chill on the hand-signs. Just kidding, make your parents throw it with you, it would be such a cute cover photo.

4. Con: Your House Isn’t The “Best” House

Neither are the other ones.

Alright, I know you’re excited, but seriously, there’s no such thing as the “Best” house. There’s your house, which is the best one for you, and then there’s Sally’s house, which is the best one for her, and don’t forget about Suzie’s house which is the best one for her, too. Every house is unique and special, and without that house, we would lack that thing they bring to our Greek Community. So when Frat guys start telling you what house you “should” be in, or what house is the “best,” tell them to shove it, because the truth is, every house is the best house for someone, and you don’t need a stinky guy’s opinion on what’s best for YOU.

5. Pro: Your Karma Points Are On An All-Time High

Nothing says good Karma like philanthropic work.

Yah, we know, sorority girls are just a bunch of party animals, wasting their college years away, not a bunch of women working hard to raise money and awareness for philanthropies. All of those fun events that Greek organizations host are actually for a good cause. So when you Go Greek, prepare to become insanely passionate towards the philanthropy you support, because you’re going to dedicate a lot of time towards it.

6. Con: Your Philanthropy Isn’t The Only One That Matters

And you actually help raise money for the other houses, too.

Sorry, I know every sorority is insanely passionate about their own philanthropy, but all of them are equally as important. In fact, you actually get to take part in really fun events to raise awareness for the other house’s philanthropies. And the craziest part? Other houses support your cause as well! The movies lied, there’s no “war” to raise the most money, it’s about teaching everyone why these causes matter.

7. Pro: Standards

Every fine lady has her Standards.

I’m not talking about the kind of standards you’re thinking, I’m talking about a person. Whoa, what? “Standards” is a person? Yes, sororities have a designated leader of the house, responsible for making sure every member in it is doing their best to represent the chapter. If you post something dumb on social media, like, I don’t know, doing hard drugs, upside-down, while throwing what you know, you’re going to get called to Standards. Despite many sorority “horror stories” involving Standards, this is probably one of the best things to come out of your Greek experience. You learn how to represent yourself, present yourself, and conduct yourself in the most appropriate manner. You will see what a difference Standards makes when you nail that job after passing the social media test.

8. Con: You’re Actually Expected To Study

Actually, you’re expected to get good grades.

I know, it’s terrible. Every movie, ever made, has basically been lying to you forever; Greek Life isn’t some never-ending, glorified 4-Year-Long-Party. You’re actually expected to study, and get good grades. Fact: most, actually all, sororities have this thing called a “Minimum GPA.” Basically, your academics are your first priority in the eyes of your sorority, not socializing. And if you don’t make the minimum, it’s not the end of the world, but you will have to bring it back up.

9. Pro: You Have An Academic Support Group

Sisters that study together, stay together.

So since the whole “good grades thing” just got sprung on you like that, ‘cause I mean, who knew sorority women were actually smart? Like, really smart? When you decide to Go Greek, you’re actually deciding to Go Academic and gain an entire academic support group. The whole chapter is expected to get good grades, not just you. So ladies, grab your textbooks and notepads and expect to have study buddies, academic mentors, and way too many date nights at the library.

10. Con: Your Sisters Actually Make You Develop Leadership Skills

And they actually make you develop, as a person.

I know right, who do they think they are to make you a leader and not a follower? A person that actually stands up for what you believe in? A person who says “No” to situations they don’t want to be in? Who are they to impact you in the best ways possible, and cause you to grow as a person? Who are they to turn you from a lost freshman to a future lady boss? I mean, especially the seniors, and alumni, always sharing life advice and “pro-tips” and words of wisdom, it’s just not okay. Be careful before you Go Greek, the next thing you know, you’ll be the next leader and advice guru.

11. Pro: You Have An Actual Home Away From Home

There’s no place like home.

Whether it’s a cute lodge, or those monstrous mansions you see at large universities, there’s nothing like spending quality time with your Sisters in your own special place that you get to call home. You get to study there, watch movies there, make food there, sometimes you even get to live there! And the best part is, it’s so beautiful and cozy inside, you’ll never want to leave!

12. Con: Crazy Sorority House Parties Are A Myth

No really, you can’t drink in your home.

If you want to Go Greek because you think sorority women just throw massive house bangers, then I cannot begin to express how wrong of an idea you have about sororities. In fact, alcohol isn’t even allowed on the premises of sorority property. Remember what I said about the beautifully decorated homes away from home? The mere thought of throwing a wild house party is sickening. Have you ever been in a frat house? Why would you ever want to do that to your home?

13. Pro: Events, Events, And More Events

You’ll never get over Greek Week.

There are countless event opportunities within Greek Life. Philanthropy Events, Sisterhood Events, Social Events, Greek Week Events, the list goes on. You can participate in these events, wearing obnoxious outfits, exercising your athletic abilities, showcasing your strange talents, practicing day and night in hopes of future bragging rights. Or you can go watch the event, cheering on your Sisters, enjoying the show the whole Greek Community puts on together, being the star video-taper and photographer. All of these events are fun ways to meet people, make memories, and most importantly, an excuse to post cute photos on Instagram and Snap Chat.

14. Con: The “Pledge Games” Don’t Exist

Sorry to burst your bubble on that one, you sick individual.

Seriously, you’re a sick and twisted being. Thanks to the media, your idea of Going Greek would be the good times you’d have after being kidnapped, having alcohol poured down your throat as you’re being stripped naked, then being dropped off at a random location with a task list you have to complete before you can go back. People like you are the exact reason why we have such a strong policy against Hazing. Pledging, Pledge Games, any sort of anything that pledges have to do, are considered Hazing and DO NOT EXIST. National Panhellenic Council, (the governing body of all of the NPC sororities), has a zero-tolerance policy for any form of Hazing. Let me repeat that, just to be clear, THERE IS A ZERO-TOLERANCE POLICY FOR HAZING, AND ANYTHING THAT COULD EVEN BE CONSIDERED HAZING, IS NOT ALLOWED. So please, do yourself a favor, stop watching ridiculous movies and stop fantasizing about being put through an emotionally breaking “pledging” process. The closest thing to “pledging” you’ll ever be expected to do, is learn about your sorority’s history.

15. Pro: Sisterhood, It’s Lit

The best memories are the ones with your Sisters.

When considering Going Greek, Sisterhood is by far the most important thing. Sororities were created for that aspect of Sisterhood, and it’s such a beautiful thing. With Sisterhood comes watching Magic Mike, eating lots of food, PJ parties, Formals, game nights, sleep overs, invites to do things, dinner dates, study dates, third-wheeling dates, the list goes on and on. The bond of Sisterhood is a powerful one that can never be broken.

16. Con: Networking

Endless connections.

Can you believe joining a social organization means you actually have to be social and meet people? Like you can’t just join the Greek Community and not meet everyone? They say going Greek is a way to Network, they weren’t kidding. Prepare to meet and hangout with hundreds of people over the course of your 4 years. And once you’re an upperclassman, touring possible work opportunities, you’re going to see some familiar faces, especially if it has a strong alumni network with your school.

17. Pro: You Get A Big Sister, And A Family

Big and Little everything.

Matching T-shirts. Cute Block Letters. Obnoxious Photos. There’s nothing more exciting than being showered with presents and gifts from a glorified secret admirer, and then meeting her at reveal, and then jumping into her arms out of love. Your Big is your mentor, your care-giver, and your Biggest fan. But with a Big, comes an entire family. G Big, GG Big, if you’re lucky, maybe even an Auntie, Cousin, or Twin!! These ladies are your ride-or-dies.

18. Con: Greek Life Has Its Commitments

It’s not always fun and games.

Aside from all of the fun, there are serious commitments behind Greek Life that you need to really consider before rushing. Your time management is going to be tested. While the fun and games are typically optional events, there are still mandatory events that you’re going to have to fit into your schedule. Your academics have to stay up to par. If you get too caught up in the social and fun aspect of Greek Life, there is the possibility your grades could take a hit. Get a daily planner, and make sure you have the time necessary for studying. Financial commitments aren’t a one-time deal. Every semester that you are actively involved in Greek Life, you have a financial obligation, called “dues.” It is important to do research and ask about how much Greek Life at your school costs, on average. It differs everywhere, and some chapters may have “payment plans” while others may not. Sadly, Greek Life is not as affordable to everyone as it may seem, so talk to your parents and find out what your options are.

19. Pro: You Have An Entire Support Group

Like more support than an extreme push up bra from Victoria’s Secret.

Your Sisters are going to be there for you, no matter what. Mental Breakdowns, family troubles, relationship drama, low self-esteem, stress, depression, anxiety, deep things you’re going through, literally anything. Your Sisters are your shoulder to cry on, your binge eat Ice Cream and listen to Adel because you’re too sad to cope buddies, your moral support, your ride to the hospital, your best listeners, and your closest care-givers. And when you think you’re alone in what you’re going through, you’ll soon learn that you aren’t.

20. Con: Beware Of Random Stranger Attacks

Seriously, wear your letters with caution.

If this isn’t the creepiest thing, then I don’t know what is. When you join Greek Life, you’re going to enter into a Sisterhood that can be found around the world. But really, wear your letters at your own risk, or you’re going to have a random stranger hug you. You could be at an amusement park, a restaurant, a movie theater, the grocery store, even studying abroad! Do not underestimate the power of sisterhood, or crazy sorority ladies.

Now that you’ve properly weighed the real Pros and “Cons” of Greek Life, it’s still quite clear that Going Greek will be the best decision that you will ever make.