20 New Year's Resolution Ideas And How to Achieve Them

Be realistic, be better in 2017

7
gretchenrubin.com

It is now officially the new year. This means it's the perfect time to start fresh, re-invent yourself, and leave behind the bad parts of 2016. We all want to become better people this new year and come up with a good new years resolution, but it is hard to choose something that we won't just forget about by the time February rolls around. Here are some ideas for some realistic new years resolutions to adopt in 2017 and how to meet them.

1. Work harder in school

For college students this is a great one. There are plenty of times when we slack off and don't go to the library as much as we should. To most effectively use this resolution, set a concrete goal for yourself. Maybe say you want to get your GPA up to a certain number or want an A in a particular class. With a concrete goal, this one will be much easier for you to attain.

2. Lose weight

This is the age-old resolution everyone uses, but too many people never seem to follow through with. Instead of vaguely choosing to lose weight, maybe decide to stop drinking soda or go to the gym a few times a week. This will actually make an improvement and is a great way to hold yourself accountable to one thing to start on your weight loss journey.

3. Be a nicer person

For this one, set a goal to genuinely compliment at least 3 people a day. Also vow to yourself to step back and relax whenever you are in an argument and be the bigger person.

4. Meet new people

It's easy to get stuck in a rut and stay at home for a lot of people out there instead of going out and meeting new people. To achieve this one, join a new club, sport, or organization in your college/community. If you are already in some type of club, try to make yourself go to all non-mandatory activities and talk to at least one new person each time until you've met almost everyone.

5. Work on your mental health

Especially with the winter time rolling around, many people could be depressed but remain undiagnosed. If you think this could be you, set up an appointment with a professional and meet regularly to become the best version of yourself.

6. Reduce stress

To achieve this goal, adopt a hobby that helps you to reduce stress. Some ideas that help people are painting, crafting, exercising, playing a new sport, journaling, gardening, reading, hiking, dancing, and so many more.

7. Get better quality sleep

Getting more sleep will make a huge impact on your overall well-being. To do this, set yourself a "bedtime", get a new pillow or mattress if you need it, and get in those 6-8 hours as many days of the week as you can.

8. Surround yourself with people who care about you

This one could be hard, because it requires dropping toxic friendships that are keeping you from happiness. Take a step back and look at your experiences. Limit yourself to being around the people who mutually care about you.

9. Volunteer in your community

Find an organization with a cause you are passionate about and set up to volunteer or donate to them.

10. Learn to cook

Take a cooking class or purchase a cooking book to get started. This will help you a lot to stay healthy and save money.

11. Start writing in a journal

Journal writing is very therapeutic for many people and is a great way to release your emotions. It's also fun to go back and read it years later to see how you've changed.

12. If you aren't already, switch to a major or job that you love.

Too many people out there are not happy with the career path they are taking simply because they don't know of anything else they would enjoy. Visit a career center, take some tests, and pinpoint your strong qualities and favorite hobbies to determine how you can get a career that will ultimately make you happy.

13. Stop procrastinating

This is a hard one that almost everyone needs help with. Set a study calendar for yourself and make it a goal to finish assignments a certain amount of time before it is due. If you set up an appointment with a supervisor or teacher to review your work a day or two before turning it in, this forces you to get your assignments done ahead of time.

14. Learn more about a subject you're interested in

Whether that is history, another culture, art, or anything else, buy a book or do some online research to learn more about it. Maybe even take a trip to a place that is centered around that subject or interact with experts.

15. Learn a new language

While you obviously are not too likely to become fluent in another language quickly with no work, you can achieve this one if you really dedicate yourself to it. Take a class, use the DuoLingo app, or get Rosetta Stone. Try to find people online or in your community that you can speak with in the language to develop your skills.

16. Save money

Set up a budget for yourself and/or set aside a certain amount of money to be saved each month.

17. Travel more

This doesn't have to mean going on an expensive trip to another country. Set up a few road trips with your friends or even schedule a trip by yourself to take in the beauty of our world and see more within your own country or state. You can also set a goal to study abroad or take a trip to another country that you've been wanting to visit.

18. Pick up a new hobby

Sign yourself for dance classes, a sports team, or a knitting club. Anything you've ever been interested in is attainable if you dedicate some time to it.

19. Do that thing you've always wanted to do, but were nervous about what people would think or how they'd respond.

If you've always wanted to write a blog, have a YouTube channel, sing at your church, act for a local theatre, or anything else that many people may be nervous to go out and do, just do it. Ignore those thoughts in the back of your mind worrying about judgement and do what makes you happy.

20. Be happier

This is vague, but using some of the tips from the other resolutions posted here and just looking out for your best interest will help you be happier. Rid yourself of toxic people, get a job and hobbies that you love, ignore what others think of you, and just look out for your best interest at all times. Don't be afraid to try something new or go back to something old. Whatever it is that makes you happy, keep it up.