20 New Ideas To Write About When You're Struggling With Writer's Block

Nothing makes you more productive than the last minute.

11
Stocksnap

This week when I was thinking about what I should write about, I was met with some serious writer’s block. I feel like if you write anything, from a paper for school or an Odyssey article, you can relate to this feeling; when your mind is as blank as the page staring back at you. Usually, an idea for my writing comes to me throughout the week, but this week was spring break so I was involved in a whole bunch of nothing. To try to spark some inspiration, I reached out to some of my family and friends and asked them what they thought I should write my article on, and their responses were unique, to say the least. Here are some of the best responses that I got.

The first person I asked was my mom, who is usually the person I go to when I need some inspiration or a little creativity. Her answers definitely did not fall short of that either.

1. “How College Kids Shouldn’t Spend Money They Don’t Have”

I’m thinking this one is based on my shopping habits over spring break. While she calls the socks I bought with pineapples and avocados on them “impulsive,” I like to look at them as “hidden gems.”

2. “Why Moms Are Awesome”

Can’t argue with that one.

I also asked the rest of my family, and their responses varied; some were really good concepts that would make great articles in the future (so be sure to look out for them), and some were as crazy and out there as we are.

3. “Cousins Are Your First Friends”

This one was the idea of my aunt. What’s funny is that before I even asked my aunts and uncles in our family group chat (yes, we have a family group chat), I asked my cousins and a lot of them said I should write about our family too #famgoals.

4. “Me”

This one was courtesy of my cousin, so this one’s for you Jul.

5. “Spring Break Ending And Getting Back Into School”

My cousin Sophia gave me this one and I really liked the idea. What I liked, even more, was her explanation: “Spring break ending and having to get back in the groove of school, but honestly not wanting to do anything yet still needing to push through these last two months.” I relate to this so hard, and I feel like all college kids can too.

6. "Your Dad And Twin Uncle"

Suggested to me by my uncle; "the twin connection" was how it was put.

7. "How Come April The Giraffe Still Didn't Have Her Baby"

Yeah, I really don't know either... but that one was from my cousin Marisa.

8. "Family Cooking Styles"

If your family is anything like mine, food is a major part of any of our gatherings. This one came to me from a family friend, and I think it was a great idea.

9. "Why is #BYN Comments On Instagram The Funniest In The World"

A lot of the adults in my life have an Instagram, including both my parents, my neighbors, and most of my aunts and uncles (they have Snapchat too). Some would hate to have their families follow them on social media, but I think it really is the funniest thing in the world.

My cousin Steven deserves his own section because he really came up with some good ones.

9. "NCAA Tournament"

This one seemed pretty obvious, considering he is a huge fan of basketball and March Madness is currently in progress. Actually, this was my dad's answer to my question too. But, what they both seemed to forget is that they were talking to a girl that isn't a huge fan of the sport and thinks the players are way too dramatic.

10. "Should People Only Have A Certain Amount Of Kids To Control The Population and Conserve Food"

I know what you're thinking: deep. Let me make you all aware of the fact that my cousin is only 12 and thinking about these problems.

11. "The Best Cousin Is The Youngest Boy"

Would it surprise you if I said he is the youngest boy out of all of our cousins?

The next people I asked were my friends, and they all had some answers that I think any college kid can relate to on a personal level.

12. "Procrastination"

This one is courtesy of my roommate, who also told me I should "base it off her today."

13. "Psycho Roommates"

This one comes with its own story, but hey, happens to the best of us.

14. "How Good The New "Beauty And The Beast" Movie Was"

This one would've been great... If I actually went to go see the movie when it opened. But, I do really want to see it so this one may be coming in the near future.

15. "Those HILARIOUS Student-Athlete Tweets"

This one really speaks for itself. If you haven't seen them, go and do yourself a favor, you'll definitely get a good laugh out of them.

16. "Rank: Brands of Potato Chips/Chocolate Chip Cookies/Girl Scout Cookies"

Food is always a safe bet, so they really hit the nail on the head with this one.

17. "Crappy Men"

Another one that really can speak for itself.

18. "What To Do When Your Blessed With A Beautiful Roommate"

I hope you can all figure who gave me this idea. She also asked if I wanted to include a picture of her, so there's that.

My two favorite answers came from my brother and my neighbor Vin, so thanks guys for your help:

19. "Whatever Interests You"

Yeah, well thank you captain obvious. If I had one of those ideas we wouldn't be in this situation now, would we?

20. "I Don't Know"

(Could also be the name of my autobiography if we're being honest).

A big thank you to all my friends and family that gave me some ideas when I asked what I should write about; I think there are some really good ones in here! If you're ever going through some serious writer's block, just remember some of these ideas. Even if you can't write about any of them, you'll definitely get a good laugh.