19 Things I Learned By 19

19 Things I Learned By 19

Another year older, another year wiser, right?

7
19 Things I Learned By 19
Marissa Reilly

I've reached another year of life and, while 19 does not provide some big milestone, I decided to reflect on a lot of the things I've learned in my life thus far. Aside from the basics of learning how to walk and talk, there's been a lot of growing and learning, especially in the last couple of years.

1. You will have different friends within different stages of your life.

The friends you have during elementary school, middle school, high school and college are more than likely not going to be the same people. You'll grow and change through every stage which may not happen at the same pace of your friends.

2. Life is full of curveballs.

But, "don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game." (A Cinderella Story)

3. Find balance.

Make school a priority, but don't let one thing control your life. Make time for family, friends, and hobbies, as well as your own personal time.

4. Family is the most important thing.

When push comes to shove, your family will be there for you unconditionally.

5. Just be honest.

I've come to the point where I'm not a kid anymore but I'm also not completely an adult. But in entering this "adult world" I've learned that most people will appreciate an honest answer rather than a lie or embellishment.

6. It's okay to fail.

No one is perfect, just make sure that you learn and take something away from the situation.

7. Stop worrying about what other people think.

In the end, you're going to be the one stuck with your life. Don't make choices that are beneficial to someone who doesn't have to live your life.

8. Netflix does not judge.

Okay, well maybe a little bit when they ask if you're still watching, but don't be ashamed to have a movie night rather than going to that party.

9. Laughter is the best medicine.

Sometimes the only thing that can cure your heartbreak or stress is just having a fun night with your friends.

10. It's okay to cry.

Don't be afraid to let it all out, you'll just feel worse if you let it all bottle up.

11. There's nothing wrong with going against the grain.

Don't feel pressured to do what everyone else is doing. Do what makes you happy.

12. You can't survive on four (or less) hours of sleep every night.

I'm a college student, you should just trust me on this one.

13. It's okay to not have a plan.

It's also okay to change that plan fifteen times.

14. Get involved.

Whether it be in your community, school, or politics, don't be the only one without an opinion or a place to be.

15. Find a creative outlet.

It could be painting, making music, or even writing for The Odyssey, but make sure you find a way to stimulate your mind.

16. Your parents are right 99 percent of the time.

As much as I hate to admit it, I should've listened to them a lot more.

17. Don't hold grudges.

They're pointless and you'll feel like you're really maturing when you can let go of something, even when the other person can't.

18. Don't be afraid to do things not everyone will be happy with.

There are a lot of people in my family who don't approve of tattoos, but they were always something I wanted. It doesn't harm me or anyone else, and they make me happy.

19. Life is what you make it.

Not happy with how you look? Make a change. Your grades aren't what you hoped? Study more. Feeling lonely? Reach out to more people. No one can live your life for you.