19 TV Shows You Should Be Binge Watching This Summer

I'm essentially giving you more reasons to never lay eyes on the sun.

56
Bustle

In my 19 years of life, I've spent more time sitting behind a television set or my laptop engrossing myself in shows than actually interacting with other humans. Spending more time falling in love with TV characters than finding places to explore in Boston may be a waste but in a way it's allowed to explore places that would never exist in real life and for that I am grateful. Choosing 19 shows I hold dear, all alphabetized and filled with little descriptions, may you start your summer with little to no sleep.

1. The 100 (2014-).

Based off the book series of the same name, the 100 is about mankind's ability to do whatever it takes in order to ensure survival. Lies, betrayals, hopes, and bonds are among the many recurring themes in the series. Seasons 1-2 available with subscription to Netflix.

2. [Scrubs] (2001-2010).

This very brilliant show spanning 9 seasons, is everything that could go right with a television series. Ranging from the deaths, life lessons, and JD and Turk's romance (yes, romance), the show is nothing short of deserving the success it garnered. 9 seasons available with subscription to Hulu.

3. Alias (2001-2006).

Before Jennifer Garner was mostly known for her roles on the big screen, she was secret service agent Sydney Bristow. The show centralizes on CIA double agent Sydney Bristow as she struggles to remain afloat in between her dangerous career and her personal life. All 5 seasons available with subscription to Hulu.

4. Angel (1999-2004).

A spinoff from the Slayerverse also created by Joss Whedon, the show follows Buffy fans favorite vampire as he fights off evil forces and attempts to restore the good in those who lost their way. All 5 seasons available with subscription to Netflix and Hulu.

5. Being Mary Jane(2013-).

It's not only on ABC that you can find strong female leads, and especially not everywhere on television that strong black female leads are presented. Following Tv anchor Mary-Jane Paul, the show touches on what it means to be a family, being black,and the forces it takes to be influential and successful in society. Seasons 1-2 available with subscription to Netflix.

6. Broadchurch (British 2013-).

David Tennant stars as a detective Alec Hardy who attempts to solve the murder of a young boy, the plot thickens when a small town known for its honesty and kind neighbors is torn apart as secrets unravel, and neighbors began to see each other for who they really are. Seasons 1-2 available with subscription to Netflix.

7. Broad City (2014-).

Think of this show as a hammer breaking down conversations about the portrayal of women, politics, sexuality, life in your twenties, and more, that are meant to be addressed today. With a subscription to Hulu, you can watch every episodes from the past 2 seasons, including new episodes every week available from season 3.

8. Buffy The Vampire Slayer (1997-2003).

Buffy The Vampire Slayer is a cult classic. Created by Joss Whedon, the show spans 7 amazing, tear jerking, wishing you were always there comforting Buffy seasons. The Buffyverse is available to you with subscription to Netflix and Hulu.

9. Elementary(2012-).

This retelling of the classic duo Sherlock Holmes and Joan Watson is set in New York City. While it's very obvious that the show decided to go in a creative direction as to how and by whom to characters are portrayed, that enough should be your reason as to why this show deserves your undivided attention. While season 4 just wrapped up, all of the episodes are available with subscription to CBS including the past seasons. However, seasons 1-3 are available only with subscription to Hulu.

10. In The Flesh (British 2013-2014).

Ah yes, another zombie TV show, but don't worry this one is mostly about the mental and emotional consequences that faces the people of a small town when their dead are brought back to life. With a short 9 episodes and 2 seasons, it is available with subscription to Netflix.

11. iZombie(2015-).

Not another Zombie TV show! Yes, but hear me out, this is the last one. Based off the comic book of the same name, you will never go back to the Walking Dead, or any other awful gory zombie show again. Much like "In The Flesh" iZombie is more than just zombies out for your flesh or brain. These zombies can think, love, sleep, behave human like and for the most part befriend humans. Olivia the main protagonist of the show, solves crimes using the brains of victims who met their untimely end. She helps detective Clive Babineaux of the Seattle P.D under the guise of being a psychic, because of course being a zombie in Seattle is a secret. Seasons 1-2 are available with subscription to Netflix. With season 3 just wrapping up, you can catch some of the season's episodes with subscription to Hulu.

12. Master of None (2015-).

Created, executive produced, and starring Aziz Ansari, Master of None is one of the best shows that came out in 2015. The show is refreshingly honest, and dare I say life accurate. Follow Dev as he navigates through life as a commercial actor looking to make it as an actor, and along the way find the girl of his dreams as well as appreciating the little things in life. The show is available with subscription to Netflix, and won't be due for a second season until 2017.

13. Penny Dreadful (2014-).

Everyone should take a look at Penny Dreadful, most notably due to the actors being brilliant, and they represent what it means when someone has mastered their craft. The show focuses on popular Eastern dark fictional characters including the Wolfman portrayed by Josh Hartnett, Lily Frankenstein by Billie Piper, Victor Frankenstein, most recently Count Dracula and Dr. Henry Jekyll, all players in a plot to descend the heroine Vanessa Ives in the world of darkness. Every past seasons episodes including this season are available with subscription to Showtime.

14. Quantum Leap (1989-1993).

Scott Bakula stars in the cult classic as Dr. Sam Beckett, a physicist who leaps through time, correcting mistakes that ruined people's lives. Throughout the series, Sam faces moral dilemnas, helps those around him facing dark situation, all while wondering if what he faces every time he leaps is God choosing him to fix mankind's dire mistakes. Every episode the question becomes if "his next leap will be the leap home", well the surprise won't be ruined. The series is found with subscription to either Hulu or Netflix.

15. Stargate SG-1(1997-2007).

The decade long series follows a team scientists and the military known as SG-1 who after finding out a portal known as Stargate gains access to other universes and therefore threaten humanity, are bent on protecting the Earth against such threats. The science fiction phenomenon is available for stream with a subscription to either Netflix or Hulu.

16. Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987-1994).

Supposedly no Star Wars fan would dare set eye on anything that has to do with Star Trek. Shame. Star Trek: The Next Generation is the show that propelled me into the world of science fiction at a very young age, and any fan of the genre should watch this TV series or any form of the Star Trek franchise for that matter. The U.S.S Enterprise under the command of Captain Jean-Luc Picard aims for deep space exploration in the search for life while battling long time enemies like the Romulans. The series is available with subscription to either Netflix or Hulu.

17. The Strain (2014-).

The strain was originally a novel co-written by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan before it became a television series. The show/book series focuses in a New York City overrun by creatures known as strigoi. Strigois were once human until, they were infected by a capillary worm that quickly turns the host into otherworldly creatures controlled by a being known as the master. Only season one is available with a subscription to Hulu, but all past seasons on Netflix DVD. Season 3 returns in late August.

18. The X-Files (1993-2002)(2016-).

90s favorite X-Files is possibly one of the best shows that ever graced the small screen. Exploring the world of paranormal activity, the existence of life forms, and government conspiracies FBI agents Dana Scully and Fox Mulder pair up in order to uncover the truth. The franchise also holds two movies and recently returned for a 10th season on Fox. Seasons 1 through 9 are available with subscriptions to both Netflix and Hulu.

19. Xena: Warrior Princess (1995-2001).

Xena: Warrior Princess is about a Warrior Princesa living in a fictional Ancient Greece protecting villages and fending off evil. The strong female leads made the show stand out in an Era where males predominated television. The show is available with subscription to either Hulu or Netflix.