18 Things I Have Learned In 18 Years

18 Things I Have Learned In 18 Years

little trinkets I have picked up along the way.

17
18 Things I Have Learned In 18 Years

18 Trinkets I Have Gathered Through My Short Life.

1. You were born through Mother Nature.

The issues you have with the sky just get worse and worse. When the clouds cry, you cry. When the sun smiles, you smile. You have not learned how to unravel your correlating mood’s with the weather. Mother nature wishes you would stop and realize she breathed into you all the rose quartz she could find. You're disappointing her.

2. Friends will leave and will never return. This could be for better or worse. Deal with either.

Abandonment is as simple and quick as ripping off a bandage. Kindergarten foreplay, elementary, the running around in fields of overgrown grass with teeth bear, spit flying out of a smile; gone. Both are equally as painful.

3. It is not cool to dislike things just for the sake of it.

4. Resurrect your softness as a weapon.

Start comparing people to flowers, moon phases, gems, candlelight. Your kindness will slowly slip it’s way into your everyday conversations.

5. Learn how to throw a punch.

You might not ever need it, but if you ever do, make sure you make the nose bleed.

6. You don't have to look pretty for anybody. There is nothing to prove.

You do not look 'sick' without makeup. Your undone hair is natural. There is nobody out there worth looking "pretty" for. Social constructs must be destroyed.

7. High School means nothing.

These people, this system, is corrupt. Make friends with one teacher. Read your assignments. And then realize it is ultimately, the worst four years of your life. There are much better things down the line.

8. Mental health means everything.

All you can do is grow, grow, grow.

9. Your childhood pet will be your best friend.

They have seen you learning to walk at four years old and they have seen you sneaking into the house late at night at eighteen. They have loved you through all of it and will always be waiting on you to come home.

10. Girl hate exists on a normative scale.

End it. If you constantly want to be in competition with every female you encounter-good luck. The girl staring you down at lunch doesn’t hate you- she was trying to figure out how you have such good bone structure. Love women.

11. Tea is warmth.

It can send you sky-rocketing into this altered dimension where everything is swirling in milky goodness and the day slows down for just a few minutes. I recommend earl gray.

12. Your body is decaying and there is nothing you can do but love it.

A belly is no problem. They’re called love handles for a reason. Your body is nothing but that. A body. Here for you to live every bit of your life through. There is no deeper meaning. Every person has a body and the sooner you accept that every person on this planet is unsatisfied with theirs, makes you realize how unimportant that is.

13. The albums you spend the first ten years of your life with are the most important songs.

When they are being played on the radio during your fist road-trip alone or while cleaning the kitchen in your first apartment, you'll be sent back to hometown laughter while your mom explains classic rock.

14. Do not be concerned about others.

15. Get a journal.

Seeing recollections in ink is something else. You'll want it.

16. There is nothing comfortable about a lover kissing the most hated parts of you.

Slap them away, tell them it does nothing to change your view point. I must change my view point. It is all me. It will always be me.

17. Fictional characters are important.

Never feel guilty about feeling connections to fictional characters stronger than real life ones. You can always go back to the books, the realms of these people. The connections are endless and will be there for you as long as the story is still there.

18. Happiness does not exist.

At least, in your world it is hard to find. But, there is grass to be felt on your feet and Saturdays to sleep in, and it is waiting.