15 Truths About The Michigan Cross Country State Meet

The best race, ever

417

It seems like just yesterday that I had just finished running as hard as I could at our regional cross country meet. I vividly remember how anxious my team and I were waiting to find out if we placed in the top three teams and were going to the state competition. Wondering if we ran fast enough and passed enough people in the last mile, we held hands and hoped that we had all done well enough to make it to the most fun race in all of high school cross country. When our coach told us that we were going to the state meet, my teammates and I were elated. We jumped and screamed while tears of joy streamed down our faces. Our tradition of excellence would continue. Like all teams, we have a lot of traditions and rituals for the state meet. If your Michigan cross country team has attended the state cross country meet at the Michigan International Speedway, then you know these things are true:

1. The week leading up to the state meet, practices are the most fun and hype they ever have been.

2. When you arrive at MIS and drive into the stadium, you feel like a celebrity as you drive through the tunnel in your team van or bus.

3. You wait (for what seems like an eternity) with your camera ready to get a picture of your name projected onto the huge tower screen as it scrolls through hundreds of names and schools.

4. You find your team tent and are overwhelmed with support from your friends and family that came to cheer you on.

5. When you line up on the start line, you have never been more excited or nervous for a cross country meet in your entire life.

6. As soon as the gun goes off you take off at a sprint in one of the fastest starts ever.

7. Quickly you realize that regardless of the weather, this is going to be one of the muddiest races ever.

8. You pass the huge mirror window and check yourself out. You realize how strong and fast you look and use this confidence boost to run a little faster.

9. Around the halfway point of the race you pass the Irish music which puts a little extra pep in your step and makes you smile.

10. When you finally hit the race track, you are starting to feel pretty dead, but then you imagine that you are a race car zooming around and you are inspired to kick it to the finish.

11. You have never been more exhausted after finishing a race, you left everything you had out on the course.

12. You join up with your teammates in the world's longest chute and walk out together, proud of everything that you have accomplished together in the season.

13. You take so many pictures with your teammates after the race that your cheeks begin to ache.

14. You buy a shirt with your name on the back and have never felt so proud or accomplished.

15. You never want the day to end and are so thankful that all of your hard work and dedication paid off, creating the perfect end to the season.