15 Struggles You Know All Too Well If You Play Golf

We aren't all Tiger Woods.

207
FreakingNews.com

This article is for the very special part of the population that spends their free time chasing a tiny white ball through vast areas of green grass, lined with trees, sand, weeds, and other aspects of nature. A very small portion of our population plays this game, right around 25 million (according to National Golf Foundation). That is less than one percent of the entire world population. So you could say that us golfers are very special.

That being said, it is also known that there are MANY struggles involved with being special and deciding to play golf. In order to save the entire day, I'm only going to list 15 of them for you to relate to (keep the tissues nearby).

1. Early Tee Times

Let's face it, how many of us are excited to wake up and play golf at 6 am? Unless you're a rare morning person. Oh, and let's not forget that most of the time tournaments are on the weekends.

2. Tan Lines

We all enjoy having that summer sun shining down on us during a four hour round of golf, until we take our glove or our socks off. Wearing sandals during golf season and your feet are as white as your socks or when you take your hat off and you have the line across your forehead.

3. Calluses

We all know the pain of the first month of returning to golf: getting your calluses back. Eventually they become harden and the skin toughens up, but over the winter, our skin does us no favors by softening that skin up. For me, it's my middle and ring finger on my right hand, and the lower right side of my palm on my left side. Probably because I'm gripping my club too tight, but you know, can't let go. But even the pros have them, so don't feel so bad.

4. Prices of Clothes

I know that I have a skort in my closet right now that cost me $60. You know all the other things I could buy for $60? If you are a female golfer like myself, your options are limited because of the lack of choices (at least where I am from). I'm not sure if I have ever bought golf clothes and had my total be under $300 for about 7 items. Sometimes I feel like I should start a GoFundMe page for my golf attire.

5. (Females only) It Is A "Man's Sport"

Walk onto any golf course and I guarantee that you will see that most of the people there are men. Go into any pro shop or store that sells clothes and majority of the selection is for men. As a female golfer, you will struggle with trying to prove yourself as being able to play this game, or even being able to be on some golf courses. I worked at a golf course when I first starting playing golf. I cannot tell you how many times I was called 'sweetie', 'honey', or 'darling'. Then, when they saw that I played golf, some laughed and some just gave me weird looks, as if they have never seen a girl before. Some were fine and it didn't phase them at all. But basically, girls can play golf too. So all these old men can get over themselves.

6. Finding Tees All Over The Place

When I was living at home, my mom always used to complain that she was finding tees or ball markers in the washer. My sister complained that they were always all around the bathroom. My dad complained that they were all over in my car. Needless to say, watch your step when you're living with a golfer. My roommate that I live with in college is also a golfer and my poor boyfriend has to watch his every step. If you think stepping on a Lego is painful, you clearly haven't stepped on a tee before.

7. People Don't View It As A Sport

This just makes me chuckle because I would love for someone to come and spend the week with me, as a college golfer. Remember, there are contact sports and non contact sports.

Golf may not be a contact sport, but it requires hard work, not just physically, but mentally. My boyfriend never realized how much work it is until he had to try it himself. He played football and said "This a hard sport and I never could do it, I don't know how you can." So, please, come spend some time with me.Then you can tell me golf isn't a sport.

8. Deciding Whether To Finish Or Not

We all know that putts that are anywhere from three to five feet are supposed to be quick, tap ins. But when someone asks if you'd like to finish it, the pressure is on. Your brain tells you that you should make it. But now if you miss it you look like a fool. When you miss the putt, your inner Happy Gilmore comes out and you fight everything inside you to not throw it out of bounds.

9. Trying Not To Talk To Your Ball

We are all guilty of telling our ball to sit or bite or roll out. But we are all also guilty of calling our ball nasty names, such as things I am not going to mention in this article. We all try to understand and be our ball, but we fail. Because our golf ball has a mind of it's own.

10. No Matter How Much You Practice, You Can Still Play Terribly One Day

Hours and hours a week, and you can still come to your tournament and shoot 110. It is an extremely frustrating game. There is no perfect in the game and there is always something you can do to be better. Unless you shoot a 52 for an 18 hole round, eagling every par 5, and birding the rest, there is always room for improvement. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as perfect.

11. Trees, Water, Or Any Other Aspect Of Nature

If you are having a bad round and you just can't hit a tee shot straight to save your life, then you are going to hate every part of nature that is on the golf course. Anything that is something that can get you into trouble you want to cut down and burn. Unless, of course, the dog from Traveler's Insurance is in the woods, waiting to bring your ball out of the out of bounds area and place it nicely on the fairway.

Let's not forget about bugs and animals either. I am somewhat allergic to mosquitoes and whenever I get bit by one, the area burns and whatever it is around becomes numb. Once, I was bit above my eyebrow and my cheek went numb for nearly two hours. So most days I question why I play golf when I am getting eaten alive. Or when you hear something moving in the forest and you wonder if Bigfoot is coming out to visit.

12. You Play Through Every Type Of Weather

Whether it is rain or shine, snow or sleet, hail or fog, you play through everything. Unless there is lightening, because playing a sport in a wide open space with a metal club with lightening isn't quite the safest idea. My regionals in high school had sleet, rain, wind, sun, and snow. We froze to death, but still got our five hour round in. Needless to say, golf introduces you to all sorts of toughness.

13. Trying To Not Swear The Entire Round

Golf will bring out your inner sailor, even on the good rounds. Say you have a 30 foot putt in front of you and you have the line and speed right. Your first instinct is to shout: "It's in the hole!"

But then, all of a sudden, it takes the slightest move to the right and it just lips out.

Usually in this situation, my go to word is "bastard". Because what better word is there to describe this situation than that? Everyone has their lingo that our parents wouldn't be proud to hear.

We try to come up with other words that aren't swear words but the closest thing to compare an irritating golf shot to is stubbing your toe. Sometimes, "nice" words just don't help.

14. When Other People Take Forever To Hit The Ball

This may only be an issue to some, but for me, this drives me absolutely crazy. One time, I played with a girl who took a solid two minutes every time she addressed the ball to make her shot. For me, I may not be the best at golf, but I do play it quickly.

15. Fighting The Urge To Quit Every Time You Have A Bad Round

I am not sure you truly play golf if you haven't debated quitting golf halfway through a terrible round. Every missed putt, sliced drive, or topped iron shot, is one step closer to a temper tantrum.

All of these struggles aside, the game is a rewarding one (at times). I hope the game grows and more people learn the craft that we call golf. I love playing it, even at the moments when I have to convince myself that I am there to have fun.