15 Quotes to Get You Through The School Year

With Commentary

24
Quotes Gram

With Fall Semester about to begin, you might wonder how you're going get through another year of papers, midterms, final exams, semi-edible food, and chapter tests. If this is the case, it's always good to remember the words of encouragement you get from the people around you that care for you, or a historical person's words of wisdom, or even the words from a fictional character trying to do good in their world. And so I present to you 15 quotes, in no particular order, to help you along your path.

1. “We each need to find our own inspiration. Sometimes it’s not easy.”—Kiki’s Delivery Service

Written assignments, essays, research papers, and presentations are a given. In the instance you find you don't know what to write about, research, or present on and you are getting frustrated, take a breather, go for a walk, or work on something else. Finding a topic’s not always easy, but you can find that piece of inspiration.

2. “It may be hard right now…but you must silence those thoughts! Stop counting only those things that you have lost! What is gone, is gone! So ask yourself this! What is there…That still remains to you?!”—Jinbei, One Piece

In this day and age, most classwork and papers are done on the computer. If you happen to lose all the files for that midterm project that is due in less than a week, take some time to fret, be angry, curse at your computer, and then send a message to your professor explaining the situation. Then, get to work re-building that project. Like Jinbei said, silence those thought and remember what it is you are working towards.

3. “Although my heart may be weak, it's not alone. It's grown with each new experience, and it's found a home with all the friends I've made. I've become a part of their heart just as they've become a part of mine. And if they think of me now and then...if they don't forget me...then our hearts will be one. I don't need a weapon. My friends are my power!”—Kingdom Hearts

At some point into the year, you might find yourself in a situation where it feels like everything is going south on you and you can’t go on. Remember that you have people that care about you and want to help you, so don’t hesitate to ask.

4. "Even if you run into a storm, there's always a way out, no matter how bleak things seem."—Vyse, Skies of Arcadia

At one point in the year, you might find that you have three papers, two chapter tests, and an oral presentation due at the same time. You might feel overwhelmed and disheartened, but remember that if you take a breath and look clearly at the situation, there is a way to make it out of that storm with superb marks.

5. “There comes a moment when it's more than just a game, and you either take that step forward or turn around and walk away.”—Grey's Anatomy

Weather it’s your first year of college or your last year, always keep in mind that what you do reflects greatly on how future employers and allies perceive you, but don’t be afraid to take a chance on an opportunity that could make or break your career. We wouldn’t have what we have today if our ancestors didn’t take chances.

6. “If you want me, earn me.”—Olivia Pope, Scandal

Finals week and mid-terms are probably the most harrowing times of the year. Weather you studied or not, remember that passing grades must be earned. Don’t let the difficulty of the test or project deter you in your preparations. Just picture your assignment quoting Olivia Pope and get down to business.

7. “Do, or do not. There is no ‘try’.” Yoda, Star Wars

At the beginning of the year, there is so much going on and organizations ready to take you into their open arms. If you feel like you wouldn’t fit in any of the current organizations, but wish to join one or ten, don’t hesitate to jump in.

8. "Oh yes, the past can hurt. But you can either run from it, or learn from it." – Rafiki, The Lion King

So you have your first chapter test and you completely bomb it—cry or shake it off, and think about how you can change your study habits and ace the next test.

9. “It’s what you do right now that makes a difference.”—Black Hawk Down

Of course classes and organizational events aren’t always the only things going on. From time to time, you may encounter a situation where making the right decision could affect everyone around you or the people you care about. The right decision isn’t always the easiest one to make.

10. “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”—Confucius

Maybe you lost an election, didn’t get picked for the officer slot, or didn’t fair well on a major test. It’s alright to get upset or sad, but don’t forget to pick yourself back up and keep on fighting.

11. “Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.” –Henry Ford

Going after your goals isn’t always smooth sailing. It’s tough, but whether or not you believe in yourself or not makes all the difference.

12. “Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.” –Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

If you have an idea for your organization or a class project, don’t hesitate to speak up. Even if it sounds like a silly idea, be bold and go for it.

13. “They say tears from eyes and rain from heaven, those will always be part of the natural way of things…and just as the blue sky eventually peeps through the clouds tears will also dry away.”— Ryūren Ran, The Story of Saiunkoku

There are times when you just have to cry—be it out of joy or sadness or anger—but you should remember that there are brighter things ahead.

14. “Just when the caterpillar thought she was at her darkest moment, she became a butterfly.”—The Butterfly’s Daughter, Mary Alice Monroe

At one point, you may find yourself in your worst moments. And if this happens, remember that you’ll come out of it stronger than you were before.

15. “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.”—Henry David Thoreau

And finally, there are going to be people that want to tell you how to live your life or what kind of job you should take. Most of the time, those people’s opinions conflict with the dreams and goals you have set for yourself. Don’t let their comments get to you. Just say thank you and shoot for whatever you believe in.