15 Movies For Halloween That Aren't Scary

Wimps unite!

40

If you're like me, you LOVE the Fall season, and you want to do everything you can to get into the festive mood. However, I just really don't enjoy scary movies. I don't like watching the screen through my fingers, and I don't like checking behind the shower curtain when I go to the bathroom four days after I saw the movie. I am notorious for overthinking, and I always believe that once I have seen a movie, the monster in the movie knows that I know about him, and he's coming for me.

BUT I do enjoy Halloween. As long as it's not too freaky. I am a sucker for fairy tales, magic, and mythical worlds. Those are the most exciting things ever. That is what really gets me into the Fall spirit. So I have put together my top 15 movie picks for you to cozy up with and enjoy without the after trauma.

15. Edward Scissorhands

OK, basically any movie that stars Johnny Depp is guaranteed to put you in to a Fall mood. This movie is so bizarre, but it found its way in to my heart years ago. Also, I'm probably Johnny Depp's biggest fan soooooo....

14. Hocus Pocus

Who doesn't love some crazy witches? Especially when one of them is played by Sarah Jessica Parker.

13. The Twilight Saga

For some reason Twilight has become "overrated", but I think it's one of the greats. It definitely has a magical vibe, and I'm always down for vampires, werewolves, and a weird personality-less girl. Team Edward all the way.

12. The Terminator movies

The Terminator movies are a staple on my Fall watch list. They're not too creepy, and they always keep you guessing. I've seen every single one at least 10 times. My dad has a slight man crush on Arnold, so he's kind of a big deal.

11. It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!

This movie just makes my heart happy. When I was little it was a BIG deal when this movie came on. If this movie was on, it basically marked the official start of Fall. No matter what was going on, my entire family would crowd around on the couch and glue our eyes to the TV until the very end.

10. Monsters Inc.

OK, let's be honest, Monsters Inc. is a good movie any time of the year. However, the fact that they're monsters gives you an excuse to watch it even more during the Fall.

9. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Now I love Gene Wilder, but I just love Johnny Depp more. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a precious film, but it has that dark, magical vibe that gets your excitement juices pumping. As soon as I hear the opening music where they show the names and scenes of the chocolate being made, I'm done with whatever I was doing. It's like a curse. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is on, and I'm useless for the next 2 hours. I have to watch it, and I laugh out loud every time. Good morning star shine! The earth says helloooooo.

8. Once Upon A Time

I know this isn't a movie, but I couldn't bear leaving it off of this list. I just recently started watching Once Upon A Time, and two episodes in I was hooked, and I never looked back. If you're a Disney fanatic, this is the show for you. It has all the classic characters you love, with a dark, and creepy twist that is a little more mature than the original stories. I am completely captivated, and I love everything they have done. As one of Disney's number one fans, I applaud the producers of this show. I approve 100 percent, and I am fully prepared to devote hours of my life to this fairytale based show. Perfect for the Fall season.

7. Return to Halloweentown

This movie is pretty high on my list. The first time I saw this movie I was probably eight. 10 years later, I still think it rocks. It's a little cheesy, but the idea of a magical little town hidden away from the real world is so intriguing. I thought Marnie was super cool. I always watch this when it comes on, and I imagine I'll watch it until they decide to quit airing it. Then I guess I'll buy it.

6. Corpse Bride

I was a little late to the party on this movie, but once I realized Johnny Depp was in it, I had to watch it. Tim Burton's films are different. You either love them or you hate them. I, for one, love them. They are so dark and bizarre, and I find them absolutely fascinating. This is the type of movie that makes you wonder what goes on in Tim Burton's head. Very creepy, and perfect for the person who likes Halloween but doesn't like to be scared out of their mind.

5. Maleficent

This movie is a MUST SEE. Sleeping Beauty has always been my favorite Disney princess, and when this movie came out, I was ecstatic. This is one of the most magical movies I have ever seen. The animation and creativity is out of this world and so remarkable. I have watched this over and over now, and in my opinion it was an instant classic. Angelina Jolie was perfect for this role, and did such a good job capturing the essence of a villain turned hero. This movie will definitely take you to another world.

4. Coraline

Coraline! I LOVE this movie with all my heart. My love for this story came to life when I read the book in 5th grade. This is a children's story, but it is so much more dark and disturbing than that. If you're a child, it's just a weird movie with a cat and a lonely girl who goes exploring. But once you're older and realize how creepy the idea of a parallel universe where your mother traps people and sews buttons on to their eyes is, you start to see beyond the cute animated film. A very strange film, but I love it all the same.

3. Matilda

I tried so hard to be like Matilda. I thought for sure I could steal chocolate with my mind powers. Matilda is the epitome of magic. This film will never go out of style. No film will ever be able to top the perfection that is Matilda. It gives such a strong message to kids about the power of education and the importance of standing up for what is right. And let's not forget about Miss Honey. Everyone wanted Miss Honey as their teacher!

2. Alice in Wonderland (2010)

Johnny Depp. Need I say more? He is so perfect for strange characters like the Mad Hatter that no one else could portray quite like him. I was a die hard fan for the original Alice in Wonderland because I love the idea of escaping to a mysterious, magical land full of puzzles and confusion. Then when they came out with this version, I loved the story even more. It has that happy, wondrous feel of the original, while adding in a few darker elements to enhance the plot. I love it. This movie is definitely deserving of second place.

1. Harry Potter

I'm sure you're not surprised. Harry Potter deserves first prize in every single competition. I like to watch Harry Potter year round. It has become one of my comfort movies. It puts me in a good mood, and it never ever gets old. The magic, the story, the actors, the British accents, the scenery, and not to mention that it was all created by the greatest author of our time: Queen J.K. Rowling. She is the greatest wizard of all, and she has created a world that is a magical escape for all of us. Curling up with a fuzzy blanket, some hot chocolate, and a Harry Potter marathon is guaranteed to activate your brain into full on Fall mode. Harry Potter, you win again.

P.S. I recently joined Pottermore.com and I am pleased to share that I was welcomed into the Ravenclaw house.

I hope this list was helpful to all of you anti-horror film people like me. You don't have to like scary films in order to be a Halloween fan. Halloween is what you make it. To each their own, and if you'd rather watch Charlie Brown receive some rocks on Halloween than watch some people get slashed to death, more power to you. I'm with you. Wimps unite!