15 Lessons You Learn In Your First Semester Of College

"I'm grateful for the lessons I have learned because they are helping to shape me into the person I want to become."

137

As a Freshman going into college, I didn't realize how much I would learn and grow. After just a few short months of living away from everyone and everything I knew, I have already started to see so much change within myself. I'm grateful for the lessons I have learned because they are helping to shape me into the person I want to become. With that in mind...

Here are 15 lessons I learned my first semester of college

1. You don't have to go out every night

Sometimes staying in and watching movies with friends will make you happier than going to a bar.

2. Your mental and personal health is just as important as school

If you're sick or emotionally drained take a break from the stress school can cause by engaging in something that you enjoy. You'll end up being more productive and feeling a lot better.

3. Not everything is in your control

No matter how hard you work towards achieving something, the outcome won't always be exactly what you want it to be and that's okay!

4. People will walk in and out of your life

As much as it hurts, everything happens for a reason and the people who are meant to be in your life will find a way to come back eventually.

5. Being yourself is the best way to fit in

Because who wants to be friends with people who you have a fake connection with?

6. Everyone deals with things differently

Be there for them when they need you.

7. Don't overthink so much

As hard as it is to not do it, overthinking will do you more harm than good.

8. Call your parents

They'll always be your biggest support system.

9. Putting yourself first is necessary

Caring for others is a good thing but don't get caught up in pleasing everyone all the time. Being selfish is something you have to do at times.

10. Drink water and don't forget to eat

It's a lot easier than it seems to forget to do both of these things when you don't have someone reminding you that lunch or dinner is ready.

11. Explore your surroundings

Whether that means on or off campus, get to know your new home.

12. You won't always get along with your roommate

You'll need to learn how to compromise and adapt to living with someone new. If you two end up not being a good match, it's okay to switch rooms.

13. Don't put off doing work

As someone who found it easy to coast through high school, coming to college and actually have to put in a lot of time and effort into assignments came as a shock to me. Don't let yourself slip up because you left an important assignment to the last minute. You'll feel a lot more relaxed and accomplished if you get it done ahead of time.

14. Remember your values

When you live away from your family for the first time it can often be hard to forget the things you were taught when you were growing up. Don't let the craziness of college get in the way of what you believe just because you're trying to fit in.

15. Enjoy yourself

This seems like something so obvious but between crazy schedules, a load of work and trying to balance everything else, it becomes really easy to forget. These are the "best years of our lives", don't take them for granted.