15 Resolutions for 2017 That Don't Include The Gym

New year, new you-- and changing yourself for the better doesn't have to be miserable.

14
Quotes Ideas

It's a new year, yall! And after what seems to be universally the worst year of everyone's life, people have some high hopes for 2017. Not that that's anything unusual, though. Any time a new year rolls around, everyone decides to change their eating habits, be more grateful, spend more time with their loved ones, and, worst of all, go to the gym.

Let's be real, except that one weird population of people that gets their kicks from working out, none of us are going to the gym. And that's okay! I know you want to be better, and that this is a good time to make some changes, but you don't have to do things you totally hate to feel like you're changing anything worthwhile. You can be a stronger, healthier, more well-rounded person this year without totally killing yourself. Progress looks different for everyone, and there are a million ways to be healthier without going to the gym.

Let's make 2017 a year of going at our own pace, enjoying the little things, redefining success, and being a little easier on ourselves. Here are some ideas how:

1. Drink more water.

At the risk of sounding like a Tumblr Person, staying hydrated is literally one of the best things you can do. Your skin will be clearer. You'll have more energy. Your pees will be more satisfying in the morning. It's one of the easiest things you can do take care of your body, and we should all be doing it! It's okay if you don't like the taste of water because I totally get that. Infuse it with some fruit or even put some Mio in it. Whatever you have to do to get that water in you, I'm proud.

2. Go to a dog park without a dog.

Dogs are good for the soul. Not everyone can afford to have a dog, but luckily for us, dog parks exist. Dog parks are such a good way to practice self-care because not only do you get to see all the dogs running happy and being free, but you're getting some sunshine and fresh air! Take advantage of your local dog park. Do your homework there. Read a book. Plan an outing with someone you love. Just do something, and do it outside surrounded by dogs.

3. Learn to play the ukulele.

Or any instrument, really. I only say the ukulele because that's what I'm personally doing this year. But I think the ukulele is a good starter instrument if you're one of those people (like me) who has never had any exposure to playing instruments. I've only been playing the ukulele a week, but I can already tell you that it feels really good to be able to make music!

4. Carry a sketchbook or journal wherever you go.

I don't care if you don't know how to draw. I don't care if you feel like you have nothing to write. Making art, no matter how bad you think it is, is so worthwhile. Give yourself the opportunity to doodle whenever the urge comes upon you. In a boring lecture? Sketch the backs of the heads in front of you. Keep lists of things you're thankful for. Write down song lyrics. Draw outfits you'd like to have. Any art you make, even if it's just stick figures, is something to be proud of, and at the end of the year, you'll have a notebook full of art you made that you'll always have to look back on. I've kept an art journal for three years now, and it's wild how each one is such a perfect encapsulation of the year it took place in. I highly recommend it.

5. Overuse 'I love you's.

Contrary to popular belief, words do not lose meaning the more you use them. I tell my boyfriend I love him every day, all the time, at least once every hour, pretty much any time he looks at me. I'm sure it annoys him, but it feels so good to know that no matter what, he knows that I love him. I promise you won't love someone any less just because you tell them five times a day. It feels good to hear that someone loves you, and whenever you're overcome with love for someone-- your partner, your mom, your best friend-- it's good practice to let it out. Normalize this, y'all. Love is infinite, and it's not gonna lose its strength.

6. Brush your teeth every day. Bonus points if you do it more than once.

No one is gonna admit it, but we all know remembering to brush your teeth every day is hard. You'll feel so much better and more clean the more often you do it, though. It's such a quick and easy way to feel like you've accomplished something! Pro-tip: if you're super forgetful, keep a toothbrush in your bag. That way, when you finally remember, you can brush your teeth wherever you are!

7. Experiment with your look.

Do something different this year. Even if it's just for a few selfies you never show anyone, do it. Wear black lipstick. Buy clothes you think are a little strange. Put glitter on your face. Cut your hair. Grow out your hair. Dye it. Dress up, or dress down. Try no makeup at all. Try a style you've always been too afraid to. Sell all your clothes and buy all new ones. Just do something different. You'll never know what looks good on you if you don't try it all.

8. Spend more time naked.

If you're uncomfortable with your body, before you do anything to change it, you've got to come to terms with the fact that it's okay just the way it is. When you're alone, just chilling in your room, try doing it naked. I know that sounds weird, but trust me. The more used you are to seeing your body, in its purest and most natural form in all its bumpy, squishy glory, the more beauty you'll find in it. It's okay if this year you want a better body, but let's do it for the right reasons. Before you change yourself, learn to love yourself regardless. Get comfortable. Don't be scared of your body. It's perfectly okay and there's something to love about it. Go find it.

9. Drive to a state you've never been to before.

When my sister was in college, she drove across the country, from Alabama to California. She's since cultivated an intense love of travel that's inspired me in everything I do. This year, she drove me and my family down to New Orleans for our first time. Road trips are fun. Being somewhere new is fun. Combine these things. Make memories. You'll feel accomplished that you made such an impressive drive, and car rides are so much more memorable and intimate than planes.

10. Write down the good times.

Yes, 2016 sucked. As a whole, the year was crap, and we'd all like to pretend it never happened. But let's be real, was every minute of every day really terrible? Did a week ever go by that something, no matter how small, made you smile or laugh? I highly doubt it, but I'm sure you're having trouble remembering those specific good things. It's easier to remember the bad times, for whatever cruel reason, and that can make it seem like there never were any good times. Get in the habit of writing it down when you feel good, happy, content, loved, or even just a little okay. (Write these down in that journal I told you to carry with you.) If you write about these good feelings in the moment, when you go back and read them, you'll remember what it felt like, and you'll have a written record of every moment of your life that didn't suck.

11. Protest.

I don't care who you voted for, something political in 2016 made you angry. Whatever side you're on, this is a good year too, you know, do something about it. If there's anything we learned from the 2016 election, it's that we can't afford to be apathetic. So, if you hate Trump, take a road trip to protest his inauguration. If you're infuriated at the lack of respect your religion is getting in public spaces, schedule a demonstration. Call up your representatives about legislation that ticks you off. Write letters. Make angry art. Stand up and defend yourself. As long as you're not hurting anyone else, now is the time to stand up for what you believe in.

12. Take more pictures.

I hate this idea that taking pictures lessens an experience. I envy you social media people who have a million pictures with your friends from every night out and every night in. You'll have those pictures forever, and I know from experience that documentation of time spent with people you love can be really comforting when things get tough. So, if you're like me, and you find yourself wishing you had more to look back on with your friends, take more pictures when you're with them. Celebrate every uneventful day with them. If you already take tons of pictures, try taking them on an actual camera as opposed to your phone. It feels a little different, and change can be good. Plus, it comes with the feeling that you know this picture is for you, and not for your curated social media image.

13. Read a book (or a few, or a lot.)

In 2016, I read more books than I have in years. That's mostly because my depression hit a real low point and I wasn't spending any time with other people, and I'm glad that I've since pulled out of that, but, regardless, I've re-learned how much of an accomplishment finishing a book can feel like. I know lots of us don't read as much as we used to, so I urge you to read at least one book this year. Even if you don't really like to read, find something that interests you-- even if it's a book meant for kids. It'll feel good. If you're already reading a good deal, try to break your record for the amount of books read in a year.

14. Stop using shampoo.

Yes, that sounds gross, and I apologize. But I'm not asking you to stop washing your hair altogether! Instead, I just challenge you to ditch harsh soaps that strip your hair of its natural oils, only to make it greasy again, and get you caught in a vicious cycle. There are gentler, more natural alternatives, that come with a tough transition period, but in the end, make your hair so much healthier. For a year, I washed my hair with baking soda and apple cider vinegar, and it made such a huge difference. A shampoo cleanse is a challenging way to make yourself healthier, especially if you're someone who's wanted to use more natural products.

15. Replace apologies with thank yous.

Join the movement that's swept the Internet, and replace your apologies with thank yous. When you feel you've messed up, instead of apologizing for your mistake, thank the people in your life for being patient with you and loving you regardless. Instead of, "I'm sorry I'm late," say, "Thank you for waiting for me." Instead of, "I'm sorry I need so much attention," say, "Thank you for taking such good care of me." We all need a better year in 2017, and this will totally change the way you think about yourself and your relationships. It'll make the people in your life feel more appreciated, and you'll feel like less of a burden. It's a paradigm shift I think we all could benefit from.

P.S. I was serious about drinking more water.