14 Reasons UK Is The Greatest University

Go Cats.

217

Everyone loves to say that their college is the best college, but the thing is, the University of Kentucky is seriously the best college around and for so many reasons. You might think your college is the best one for you and it probably is, but it still is not better than UK. Students who do not go to UK have no idea what they are missing out on -- let’s fill them in on why UK really is the best.

1. UK has the best school spirit.

We take school spirit very seriously: if you are caught wearing an abundance of red on campus, you will be stared down. Every sports game you go to, there are UK students filling the seats only wearing UK blue. We love our school and we make sure everyone knows that.

2. Our sports teams do not give up.

Our sports teams do not want to let our school down and they try their hardest to make us proud. Many schools love their sports, but very few schools’ sports teams love the school and students as much as our teams do.

3. We have the best basketball team around.

UK basketball is the best; there is nothing more to it. Yes, we may still be “striving for 9,” but at least we keep trying and we just keep getting better year after year.

4. March Madness.

March Madness happens at every college whose basketball team makes it that far, but believe me, when I say it is truly a special month at UK. We go above and beyond during the month of March and anyone who comes through Lexington, Ky. during that month knows it.

5. State Street.

Rioting after big basketball wins on State Street is one of UK’s staples. There is really nothing that compares. It is one of the most fun parts about being a UK student and we all look forward to it every year.

6. There are nice people all over campus.

Sure, there are nice people on every college campus, but the amount of nice people on UK’s campus definitely overpowers any amount of people on any other campus anywhere. If you need help finding a building or your phone died and you need to borrow someone’s to make a quick call, you are bound to find someone on campus willing to help you out.

7. We have the most amazing college library around.

Willy T. is something special and most colleges do not even have a library that can compare with ours. Our library is huge and we have the biggest on campus Starbucks inside our library to go along with it.

8. If you don't like the weather in Lexington today, just wait until tomorrow.

One day you may be walking to class bundled up in a hat, scarf, gloves, and winter jacket, but wait until tomorrow because the chances of you walking to class in just a sweater are pretty high.

9. Everywhere you go, there are UK fans.

No matter where you are, you are bound to run into a UK fan. Whenever I travel, if I am wearing a UK sweatshirt, at least one person comes up to me in whatever airport I am in to say “Go Cats!”10. The local restaurants.

10. The local restaurants.

Lexington has some of the best local restaurants and many of them serve Kentucky Proud items, which means we really are eating the best of the best. You cannot go wrong when picking a local restaurant in Lexington to go eat at.

11. Brunch.

Lexington loves brunch. The amount of restaurants that serve brunch or are strictly brunch restaurants (they open around 7 a.m. and close by 2 p.m.) is insane. Whether you want a typical brunch or something a little different, there is a brunch option for all of your wants and needs.

12. Hiking

Lexington is extremely close to many different hiking trails, the best being the Red River Gorge. Any fan of nature would love UK because as great as our little city is, we are just a short drive away from being surrounded by wilderness.

13. Our residence halls

UK has some of the nicest residence halls on any college campus. All of the construction on campus has brought us many new buildings, but the best are definitely the residence halls that make leaving campus that much harder to do.

14. The JC.

The JC is the gym on campus and it is the most beautiful gym I have ever set foot in. It seriously makes me want to go work out. Between the weights, exercise machines, exercise classes, and climbing wall there truly is something for everyone.