14 Baked Goods That You Should Make This Holiday Season

It's that time of the year again to get your cookie cutters out and start making cookies and pies.

1648

In my family it has always been a tradition to make bake goods like cookies,Swedish coffee bread, and etc. towards the Holiday "Christmas". I can for sure agree on that because as it gets close to Christmas, my dad and I pull out the cookie tins and start making a assortment of cookies in batches. This became a tradition because ever since my dad was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, A bone marrow cancer. He wanted to spend some quality time with his littlest daughter as she has always been daddy's little girl and wrapped around his finger basically. He knew that being the littlest and dealing with this issue of having a parent with cancer was always tough and stressful. There were days where I wanted to cry and he knew that, therefore he started the making of cookies a tradition; so I would have one on one time with my dad. We would joke around, tell stories to one another, and enjoy the memories being made. Therefore here are some bakery goods that my dad and I make as well as some of my extended family make that you all should make this Holiday season. Trust me on all of these items as they are worth trying, as they are scrumptious and delicious.

1. Snicker Doodles

An all time favorite and easy to make cookie !

INGREDIENTS

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Mix butter, 1 1/2 cups sugar and eggs thoroughly in a large bowl.
  3. Combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.
  4. Blend dry ingredients into butter mixture.
  5. Chill dough, and chill an ungreased cookie sheet for about 10-15 minutes in the fridge.
  6. Meanwhile, mix 3 tablespoons sugar, and 3 teaspoons cinnamon in a small bowl.
  7. Scoop 1-inch globs of dough into the sugar/ cinnamon mixture.
  8. Coat by gently rolling balls of dough in the sugar mixture.
  9. Place on chilled ungreased cookie sheet, and bake 10 minutes.
  10. Remove from pan immediately.

2. Sugar Cookies

A traditional favorite, this type of cookie I always make with my dad and it's real easy to make!

INGREDIENTS

• 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • Powdered sugar, for rolling out dough

DIRECTIONS

1. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Place butter and sugar in large bowl of electric stand mixer and beat until light in color. Add egg and milk and beat to combine. Put mixer on low speed, gradually add flour, and beat until mixture pulls away from the side of the bowl. Divide the dough in half, wrap in waxed paper, and refrigerate for 2 hours.

2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

3. Sprinkle surface where you will roll out dough with powdered sugar. Remove 1 wrapped pack of dough from refrigerator at a time, sprinkle rolling pin with powdered sugar, and roll out dough to 1/4-inch thick. Move the dough around and check underneath frequently to make sure it is not sticking. If dough has warmed during rolling, place cold cookie sheet on top for 10 minutes to chill. Cut into desired shape, place at least 1-inch apart on greased baking sheet, parchment, or silicone baking mat, and bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until cookies are just beginning to turn brown around the edges, rotating cookie sheet halfway through baking time. Let sit on baking sheet for 2 minutes after removal from oven and then move to complete cooling on wire rack. Serve as is or ice as desired. Store in airtight container for up to 1 week.

(Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown)

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/sug...

USE YOUR FAVORITE CHRISTMAS COOKIE CUTTER TOO!!!

3. Chocolate Chip Cookies

Now these are a must have!

You can either make them or get Toll House cookies and just preheat the oven and stick them in the oven and in minutes you will have an excellent batch of chocolate chip cookies!

4. Ginger Snaps

Never had these before but may try and make these during the holiday season!

INGREDIENTS

• 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup dark molasses

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. Sift the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt into a mixing bowl. Stir the mixture to blend evenly, and sift a second time into another bowl.

3. Place the shortening into a mixing bowl and beat until creamy. Gradually beat in the white sugar. Beat in the egg, and dark molasses. Sift 1/3 of the flour mixture into the shortening mixture; stir to thoroughly blend. Sift in the remaining flour mixture, and mix together until a soft dough forms.

4. Pinch off small amounts of dough and roll into 1 inch diameter balls between your hands. Roll each ball in cinnamon sugar, and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.

5. Bake in preheated oven until the tops are rounded and slightly cracked, about 10 minutes. Cool cookies on a wire rack. Store in an air tight container.

5. Pizzelle's

(Best Cookie Ever!)

My aunts on my dad side of the family make these cookies, they are so delicious and definitely worth trying and eating. They are even more yummy when there is powdered sugar on them! I am usually always grabbing seconds on them.

INGREDIENTS

• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thick. Stir in the melted butter and vanilla. Sift together the flour and baking powder, and blend into the batter until smooth.

2. Heat the pizzelle iron, and brush with oil. Drop about one tablespoon of batter onto each circle on the iron. You may need to experiment with the amount of batter and baking time depending on the iron. Bake for 20 to 45 seconds, or until steam is no longer coming out of the iron. Carefully remove cookies from the iron. Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

3. For chocolate pizzelles, add 1/4 cup cocoa sifted together with flour and baking powder, 1/4 cup more sugar and 1/4 teaspoon more baking powder. I find that for the chocolate mixture, the iron must be well oiled to start and then brush on more as needed.

6. Ricotta Cookies

These are one of my favorite cookies to eat! They are so delicious that its always tough for me to stop eating them. Usually my aunts on both sides of my family make them! It is always a tradition having them make these cookies! Also on my mom's side of the family, my aunt makes me a small batch to bring home because she knows I love the cookies so much!

INGREDIENTS

For the frosting...

DIRECTIONS

1. Cream butter and sugar and salt.
  2. Add eggs and ricotta cheese, vanilla and grated orange rind.
  3. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda together in another bowl.
  4. Add to batter in three additions.
  5. Preheat oven 350*.
  6. Drop by teaspoon of dough on ungreased cookie sheet.
  7. Bake 10 minutes until edges lightly browned.
  8. Cool on racks.
  9. Mix frosting ingredients. Spread on cool cookies.

7. Cinnamon Twists

These cookies are so delicious that usually I have to stop myself from eating them because usually I keep taking this cookie and putting it in my mouth and never count how many I have eaten! Usually the person who makes this cookie is either of my two aunts on my dad's side! This recipe makes 160 cookies!

INGREDIENTS

• 5 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1lb butter
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 8 teaspoons cinnamon

DIRECTIONS

1. Mix and divide into 10 balls.
  2. Mix together cinnamon and sugar.
  3. Roll dough into part of the sugar mixture.
  4. Roll into circle.
  5. Cut shapes into 16 pie shaped portions.
  6. Roll up each piece starting at the wide end.
  7. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.

Future reference: Its better if you make the shapes small with a twist in them!

8. Peppercorka's

These cookies I tried they are not my favorite but sure have become a tradition to make in my family! They are Swedish cookies! Swedish is part of my heritage so making these during the holidays is a must!

INGREDIENTS

• 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • Pearl sugar (for dusting)
  • Equipment: 2 large baking sheets; 2 nonstick baking mats, such as Silpats, or parchment paper; rolling pin; cookie cutters; wax paper

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda, and salt.
  2. In a small saucepan over moderate heat, warm the corn syrup and orange zest. Add the butter and sugar and continue warming, stirring occasionally, until melted. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature. Add the egg and whisk to combine. Pour over the flour mixture and stir to combine. Form the dough into a ball, wrap in a double layer of plastic wrap, and chill overnight.
  3. Arrange racks in the upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat to 375°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with nonstick baking mats, such as Silpats, or parchment paper.
  4. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out a portion of the dough on a lightly floured surface to a 1/4 inch thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut the dough into desired shapes, such as circles, stars, hearts, bells, gingerbread men, and Christmas trees. Transfer to the prepared baking sheets and sprinkle with the pearl sugar. Bake, switching the cookies between the upper and lower racks and rotating the baking sheets about halfway through baking, until the edges are just beginning to brown, 7 to 8 minutes. Watch the cookies carefully to make sure they don't get too brown.
  5. Let the cookies cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to let cool completely. Continue rolling and cutting out the rest of the cookie dough and baking the cookies on cooled baking sheets. DO AHEAD: Pepparkakor can be baked ahead and kept, stored between sheets of wax paper in an airtight container, for up to 2 weeks, or frozen up to 1 month.

8. Cinnamon Rolls

Now making Cinnamon Rolls is always fun but if you're too tired just go and pick up Pillsbury flaky cinnamon rolls as they are delicious and scrumptious to eat! I know that when it's cold outside it warms me up and it's nice to have as a snack as you're watching a Christmas movie. Just get the can of cinnonmin rolls and follow the directions on the package!

( If you want homemade ones follow these directions)

INGREDIENTS

Dough:

• 1/4 oz. package of yeast
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1/2 cup scalded milk
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup butter or shortening
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour

Filling:

• 1/2 cup melted butter, plus more for pan
  • 3/4 cup sugar, plus more for pan
  • 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup raisins, walnuts, or pecans (optional)

Glaze:

• 4 tablespoons butter
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 to 6 tablespoons of hot water

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside. In a large bowl mix milk, sugar, melted butter, salt and egg. Add 2 cups of flour and mix until smooth. Add yeast mixture. Mix in remaining flour until dough is easy to handle. Knead dough on lightly floured surface for 5 to 10 minutes. Place in well-greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, usually 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
3. When doubled in size, punch down dough. Roll out on a floured surface into a 15 by 9-inch rectangle. Spread melted butter all over dough. Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over buttered dough. Sprinkle with walnuts, pecans, or raisins if desired. Beginning at the 15-inch side, roll up dough and pinch edge together to seal. Cut into 12 to 15 slices.
Coat the bottom of baking pan with butter and sprinkle with sugar. Place cinnamon roll slices close together in the pan and let rise until dough is doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake for about 30 minutes or until nicely browned.

4. Meanwhile, mix butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Add hot water 1 tablespoon at a time until the glaze reaches desired consistency. Spread over slightly cooled rolls.

(Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen)

9. Hershey Kisses Sugar Cookie

These tasty cookies are so yummy!!! They are definitely delicious with the Hershey kisses in the middle of the cookie, The best hershey kisses to use are the regular chocolate kisses, the white chocolate and chocolate stripe ones, and the peppermint ones. To make them here are the directions. You can make it with peanut butter but I whoever is allergic to peanuts and so I substitute it as a sugar cookie!!

INGREDIENTS

Peanut Butter Recipe-

• 1/2 c. butter
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 1/2 c. peanut butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 3/4 c. flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • Hersheys Kisses, 1 for each cookie

DIRECTIONS

1. Pre-Heat oven to 375°F.

2. Cream together butter, both sugars and peanut butter. Add 1 egg and vanilla. Add flour, baking soda and salt.

3. Form in walnut size balls. Roll in white sugar and place them on a cookie sheet.

4. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Press Hershey Kiss into each cookie when fresh out of the oven.

Makes about 2 1/2 dozen.

10. The Sugar Cookie

INGREDIENTS

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Beat (softened but not melted) butter, egg, sugar, and vanilla extract until well blended.
  3. In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix.
  4. Slowly blend the dry ingredients and the milk into the wet mixture.
  5. Shape into 1 inch balls.
  6. Optional – Roll each ball in a bowl of powdered sugar.
  7. Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
  8. Bake for 8 – 10 minutes until the cookies are just slightly browned.
  9. Remove from the oven and let cool for 1-2 minutes.
  10. Press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie.
  11. Move cookies to a wire rack to completely cool.
  12. Makes around 35 cookies.

10. Pillsbury Holiday Sugar Cookies

Now this is easy just go to your local grocery store like Walmart, Stop and Shop, Dave's, etc. and pick up these wonderful cookies that have cute little Christmas decor on them. Once you buy them follow the directions on the box and finally you will have the cookies be ready to eat.

11. Spritz

These cookies are very good and very sweet & sugary! I have had these in my life whether a family friend made them or one of my aunt's made them! They are so scrumptious when there is sugar sprinkles on them and are dyed in Christmas colors! Definitely worth making and trying!

INGREDIENTS

1. 1 cup butter, softened
  2. 1/2 cup sugar
  3. 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  4. 1/4 teaspoon salt
  5. 1 egg
  6. 1/4 teaspoon almond extract or vanilla
  7. Food color, if desired
  8. Currants, raisins, candies, colored sugar, finely chopped nuts, candied fruit or fruit peel, if desired

DIRECTIONS

1. 1. Heat oven to 400ºF. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in flour, salt, egg, almond extract and a few drops of food color.
  2. 2. Place dough in cookie press. Form desired shapes on ungreased cookie sheet. Decorate with currants.
  3. 3. Bake 5 to 8 minutes or until set but not brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. To decorate cookies after baking, use a drop of corn syrup to attach decorations to cookies.

12. Chocolate Cream Pie

Now this item is so easy to make that you can literally go to the store and pick up a graham cracker pie crust the best crust is the Keebler's Graham Cracker Crust, then grab 2 things of chocolate pudding (I usually get the instant Jell-O pudding), follow the directions on the box and then after the pudding is made pour it into the pie crust. After that, level it to make sure it's even and leveled. Then once you do that, put the pie in the refrigerator for 25-30 min until the pudding is not squishy and put cool whip on top of it once the chocolate pudding has settled. Now once that is done, put it in the refrigerator again for 10 minutes then after that it will be ready to eat.

13. Swedish Coffee Bread

My Favorite thing during the holiday season is Swedish coffee bread!

http://www.saucygirlskitchen.com/2011/05/11/swedis...

Makes 1 large loaf – serves lots of people

INGREDIENTS

2 1/2 cups Luke Warm Milk

• 2 1/2 cups of lukewarm milk
  • 4 1/2 tsp Yeast (2 pkgs.)
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 1 Egg
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 3/4 to 1 cup Butter, melted
  • 20 Cardamom Seeds, pounded
  • 8 cups Flour

DIRECTIONS

1. In a small bowl dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup of the warm milk.
  2. Allow to sit until yeast foams (about 15 minutes).
  3. Meanwhile, in the bowl of an electric mixer, using the hook attachment, add the remaining 2 cups of milk, sugar, egg, salt, butter and cardamom.
  4. Combine.
  5. Add in the small bowl of yeast and milk, along with the flour.
  6. Beat until combined and a ball of dough forms.
  7. Remove and place in a well-greased bowl.
  8. Cover with a clean dish towel and allow to rise in a warm place for about 2 hours, or until double in size.
  9. When dough has risen, punch down and knead for a few minutes.
  10. Form into the desired shape and place on a baking sheet (greased or use a silpat).
  11. I like to braid mine, but you can do loaves, as well.
  12. Cover again with dish towel and allow to rise one more time, about another hour.
  13. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  14. If desired, brush top with egg whites and bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden. Depending on the size/shape of your bread it may take more or less time to bake.
  15. Just keep an eye on it.

Enjoy!

Put butter on it to when you cut a slice of bread for your self as butter wuth this bread is delicous!

14. Ginger Bread Cookies

Never had these before but hope to try one this year!

Find recipe here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/15272/gingerbread-coo...