13 Ways To Know You've Found Lifelong Friends

"You're my person. You will always be my person." --Cristina Yang

193
Sophia Peterson

Psychologists state that if a friendship lasts longer than 7 years — it will last a lifetime. I don’t know if this is exactly true 100% of the time however, I can personally say it has proven true for me several times. Friendships are kind of funny, aren’t they?

We meet a significant amount of people throughout our lifetime. Some of these people we come in contact with, hit it off with common interest, and bam just like that you have a friend. Sometimes these friends stick around for only a season, and sometimes these friends stick like glue. These glue sticker friends are the ones I’m talking about today.

I have several friends who I consider to be lifelong friends. Some of these friends I talk to every day, or see once every two weeks at the minimum. Some of these friends, I go years without seeing, and only talk to every couple of weeks or sometimes sadly longer. I treasure each of these friendships. Because ya see, each one of these girls came into my life at a different point/stage. Some during my childhood, and some during those awkward middle school days. They each helped have helped mold me into who I am today.

They each have been a shoulder to cry on, or a deep belly laugh filled GNO where my cheeks hurt from smiling so much. They each have seen me at my best and at my worst. And at the end of the day, I know they still continue to be there for me. There is nothing like having a girl squad who always has your back. I truly have some of the best friends a girl could ask for. Shout out to my lifelong gal pals who are sadly all currently long distance. We make still manage to make it work because that's what lifelong besties do. Now, on to the ways you can tell you have found your lifelong friends.

Way 1: You have seen each other through the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I feel as though this is the biggest test to prove a true friendship. Let’s face it, life is hard. We each go through seasons of tough times. When your friend sticks right by your side through the awkward puberty, that nasty breakup, sickness, a hard semester, or family issues — in these moments you automatically know they’re in it for the long haul. They don’t care if it’s hard, or that you’re extremely difficult (and occasionally sassy) to deal with during these times. They are always right there with words of encouragement, prayer, a hug, and the occasional chocolate. They also always are willing to celebrate you during the happy times.

Way 2: You have a collection of memories that you can laugh uncontrollably over.

Friendships that have lived up to 7+ years are full of memories. All of the embarrassing things we did as kids, or the embarrassing thing we did last year. Playing hide and go seek in the cemetery at church. Puberty saving all of our lives (all the praise hands for that one). The time we said we were going to travel the world. Endless sleepovers, and trips together. Laughs upon laughs. Memories with my people are favorite.

Way 3: Speaking of memories, you also will have a large memorabilia of photos.

Let me tell you, if you don’t have a huge amount of terribly embarrassing pictures with your besties, are you really besties? Kidding, but really, somehow we have a vast collection that can keep us laughing all day long. Those Aeropostale hoodies and plaid Bermuda shorts were cool, okay.

Way 4: Time makes no difference

You can go weeks/months/sometimes years without seeing each other, but as soon as you grab their neck to hug them as tightly as possible, it’s game over. Don’t even try to get a word in over the loud, obnoxious, high pitched chatter. It’s not awkward, there is no silence, it is truly like you never missed a beat. This is one of my very favorite things about lifelong friends.

Way 5: You think they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Seriously, you love these humans with your whole heart. You look at them and all you see is their beauty, talent, and genuineness. You legitimately admire them. You also brag about them to anyone and everyone who will listen. They're the best, but don't tell them that too often. Their heads might get too big. We can't have that.

Way 6: You can be completely honest with them.

You don’t have to hide behind any front with these friends. Actually, don’t even try because they’re going to know something is up if you don’t tell them. You can be your most vulnerable, authentic self, and they are there to support you and lift you up no matter what. There is no judgment. They are also always there to share some tough love if needed, and they can put you in your place in a hot minute.

Way 7: You share the same beliefs/values.

They’re like-minded, and are passionate about the same things you feel passionate about. In my case, they love Jesus, and aren’t afraid to show it. They may also have been home-schooled with you, AND graduate with you.

Way 8: You are super defensive about one another.

Don’t hurt my friend, or I will hurt you is a completely accurate statement. They are always ready to defend you, back you up, and share a little bit of truth to whoever hurt you. Don't mess with a group of lifelong friends is all I can say.

Way 9: You actually feel a deep hurt in your heart when you miss them.

You always miss them when you’re apart, but some days are worse. When you see something that reminds you of them, or hear a specific word they say, it’s like a stab to the heart. There is nothing worse than wanting to hug your friend, and not being able to. Face-time and texting makes it better, but nothing but seeing them can cure that deep ache.

Way 10: You “show up” and make time for each other.

You each value your friendship deeply. This means you make sure to always squeeze in a phone call or a Face Time when one of you just needs talk. Sometimes it’s not as often as you’d like because of crazy schedules, but it makes you value and appreciate those quick 30 minute chats even more.

Way 11. You share your same sense of humor.

This means they will laugh at your cheesy jokes, and appreciate a terrible pun or two. You most likely have an abundance of insiders that only you would understand. All it takes is a sly grin to know exactly what the other is thinking.

Way 12: You love each other’s families like your own.

Lifelong friendship inevitably turn into being more like family, therefore, you love them like crazy, and love having extra family. Second mom’s and dads are the best. Extra siblings are cool too.

Way 13: You truly appreciate each other and realize how rare lifelong friends are.

I’m so incredibly thankful for my lifelong friends. I am not naive, I realize the rarity of finding friends like these. I know how strong the bonds are between us, and to say I valued them would be an understatement. I am so blessed to have some of the most extraordinarily remarkable girls to do life with. Even from miles away, nothing can stand between us

"It seems they had always been, and would always be, friends. Time could change much, but not that." -- Winnie the Pooh.