13 Women We Should Be Celebrating This National Women's History Month

Today and everyday, let's celebrate these women.

12
The Politic

In recent months, the celebration of women and womanhood all together has been at the forefront of women's mind. I find myself constantly asking my friends and sisters how they are or if they need support from me in any way because of the recent events. March is National Women's History Month and most of the time, we will celebrate the big names of women who have made history. Hillary Clinton, Maya Angelou, Michelle Obama, Misty May-Treanor, the list can go on and on. But this month, I want to celebrate the "types" of women. Lots of time, we forget to celebrate the women of our daily lives. The mothers, the sisters, the CEOs of companies or sororities. So here are 13 women that I will be celebrating this National Women's History Month, and you should too.

1. The Sorority Woman

Let's be real. When someone hears about a "sorority girl" they think of a cute, tan blonde partying in Florida for spring break and blowing glitter into a camera. She drinks too much and sleeps with too many guys and is in her sorority solely for the party scene. But I am talking about the sorority woman. The woman who works hard and plays hard too, but only after all her duties are fulfilled. She studies, volunteers in her communities, is there when her sisters need a DD or a hug after a long day. This is a sorority woman: a woman who is trying to better herself, the people, and the world around her.

2. The Women of Faith

No matter what the faith may be, we should be celebrating women of faith. They have something that they truly believe in and celebrate, so why shouldn't we celebrate them? Even if they have conflicting views with mine, I will still celebrate the women of faith because it is important to be accepting of all beliefs, even if they are not your own.

3. The Women of the Arts

Whether some like it or not, some women in the past have created the most beautiful art today. Whether they are songwriters, poets, painters, singers, dancers, or musicians, we should be celebrating the women and their art, because can anyone truly imagine a world with no music, dancing, or color?

4. Women in Sports

Along with that, we should be celebrating the women in sports. I will never forget watching the USA Women's Soccer team in the Championship. It was a moment that will stick with me forever and a moment that I will always remember being proud to be a woman.

5. Women in the Workplace

30 or 40 years ago, this was not that common. My grandmother was a stay at home mom and my mom was a stay at home mom until I was in high school. It is becoming a new and amazing thing to have so many women in the workplace and making a difference for other women.

6. Stay at Home Mom's

Along with this, we should be celebrating the stay at home moms. They as well are doing amazing things for their families at home and who cares if you think they are throwing their life away? They made a choice for themselves and their families and that is all that matters.

7. Women of Color

Whether you agree or not, it's time we celebrate women of color. And I mean of all color. I have never been more inspired to fight for what I believe in and what I want than when I started to see the women of color in my life fight for their rights and for their passions. It's time we celebrate them. No, it's LONG past time.

8. Women in the LGBTQIA+ Community

Like the women of color, the women of the LGBTQIA+ community need to be celebrated this month based off of everything they have done. Like the women of color, these women want to fight for what is right and to fight for their God-given rights inspires me every single day.

9. The Survivors

This month, we need to celebrate the survivors of sexual assault. They have continued to live and educate others with their stories, even when it can be so hard at times. We need to support them, love them, and tell them that we hear them and believe them, no matter what the case.

10. The Fallen

Along with that, we need to celebrate the ones who were not that lucky and lead their legacies proudly. We need to support each other, love each other, and take care of one another to make sure we don't lose any more to sexual violence.

11. Women Serving Our Country

Whether you agree with the state that our country is in right now or not, we should be celebrating the women who are serving for or have served our country. Especially if they left their families to do so. We need to celebrate the mothers, daughters, wives, partners, sisters, and cousins who sacrificed their worlds in order to make ours better.

12. The CEOs

A woman as the CEO of a company? What a badass!

13. The Women Who Were Told to Sit Down

The ones who fight for what they believe in and what they know in their hearts is right: those are the ones we need to stand for.

This month, let's celebrate these women, and the women doing so much to make the world a better place for women everywhere.