13 Things You Know Are True If You Have A Close Extended Family

When your family is the definition of "Ohana."

255
Lily Snodgrass

Anyone who comes from a really close extended family knows that there are certain things other people just won't get. All of our stories usually start with "This one time, when I was with my cousins...," "When I was on vacation with my mom's side of the family...," "So I was out shopping with my aunts...," or "When my uncles were teaching me to..." and people just can't understand why we are always talking about our families. While they can't relate, I definitely can! Here are 13 things you probably know to be true if you're really close with your extended family.

1. Your cousins are more like siblings

Even if you're the oldest sibling, it's okay because you've probably got 10 older cousins who give you lots of advice and pick on you endlessly. You get their hand-me-down clothes and stuff. Don't even pretend they're not going to interrogate your new boyfriend/girlfriend the first time you bring them around. Just remember to pass it on to the younger ones!

2. You almost never have to do things alone

Need to go to the store? Someone probably needs to go. Want to go shopping? Text all of the aunts. Having a movie marathon? There's no question that at least 5 people will show up. Just want to have a nice lunch? Pick up your grandmother and tell people you're going; they'll come.

3. Some of your best friends are also family members

And it's great because you share so many stories and can keep each other up to date on the latest gossip from *other* parts of the family. The inside jokes are endless because you've literally known each other all of your lives. Not to mention that they're guaranteed to be at any family gathering.

4. Meals together are feasts

With that many people, there's no way they can't be. Tables heavy with plates and plates of food are a given. If you go to a restaurant together, having a party of 20 or 30 is fairly normal. Just remember to eat with your elbows out so you can fight off those who try to take food from your plate.

5. You go home to see them a lot

Your friends at college don't understand why you want to go home so much. They automatically know that any story starting with "one time when I was with my cousins..." is going to be hilarious but totally unrelatable. So, you just have to go see them to share in the old memories and make new ones.

6. You're probably related to an expert in nearly everything

Need help with your math homework? Call the family math major. Computer broken? Text that one technology whiz cousin. Whatever the need, you're probably related to someone who can hook you up and will do so without question.

7. You get to visit them (in really cool places)

You aren't the only one who had to move away from the fam, which means that you get to go on lots of cool visits to great places (usually with a bunch of the others).

8. Family reunions are fun

Rather than dreading having to talk to Great Aunt such and such for half an hour, you just hang out with your favorite fam, eat a lot more yummy food than is good for you, and make jokes about everyone else who inevitably get jealous of how much fun you're having.

9. Holidays are huge

Christmas? Huge. Thanksgiving? Huge. Easter? Huge. Labor Day? Huge. There's just not another way to do things.

10. You don't understand people who aren't close to their family

"What do you mean you only see your aunts and uncles once a year?" "How do you not know your second cousin?" "You're only Facebook friends with your cousins because your mom made you be?" You've probably had all of those thoughts and more. You just can't relate.

11. You're the same kind of weird

Your family can relate to the Addams family on at least one thing: you've all got pretty similar senses of humor and interests. Nobody else gets it, but you guys don't really care.

12. If you find a S/O that your family likes, you have to keep them

Dating is hard for normal people, let alone those of us who have to get the approval of all 30 of our family members. If your family likes your new boyfriend or girlfriend, you've got to keep them because it's a rare occasion. Bonus points if said S/O likes the fam (because you're probably leaving them if they don't)!

13. Your support system is massive

Odds are, you either were or are going to be *that* kid at graduation who's family didn't hold their applause until the end. A massive fan section cheers you on with whatever you're doing. The hugs and laughs are endless and you know that, no matter what, you'll always have people who you would die for and who would die for you right there every step of the way.