11 Things You Know To Be True If You Grew Up In A Big Family

"Our family must be God's favorite sitcom."

146

I come from a big family, and I'm not talking about extended family. I'm just talking about the people that live in my house. There are six people that live in my house. I love having a big family and having so many siblings. I know there are people that come from even bigger families than mine, but no matter how big it is there are things that anyone that comes from a big family know to be true.

1. It's always loud

Inside voice? What's that? Coming from a big family, your inside voice is usually about the same level as your outside voice. You know that if you're not loud, you're usually not going to be heard. In my family, not only are we loud but we have voices that carry, too. Whisper voices are non existent. I don't think I even know how to whisper.

2. You're hardly ever home alone

Being home alone is a weird concept when you have a big family. On the rare occasions you are home by yourself, sure, the peace and quiet is nice for a few minutes, but then you just get lonely.

3. You're familiar with your parents calling roll

When getting in trouble, your parents tend to say everyone else's name in the house before getting to yours, including the dogs.

4. There is always someone to play with or talk to

When you have multiple siblings, you always have a friend growing up. There is always bound to be someone that is down to play video games with you, go ride bikes or someone to play a card game.

5. There are endless loads of laundry

With so many people in one house there is always some kind of laundry to be done. Once you get all the laundry done, or so you think, someone else brings down two or three more loads of laundry. Sorry mom.

6. Gallons of milk are gone in less than a week

It's not weird to buy several gallons of milk at once. If you don't, you never have any milk in the house. You also buy several large family packs of cereal at once, but somehow there never seems to be both in the house at once. The struggle.

7. There is always arguments about who gets to sit where on road trips

Being from such a big family it's too expensive for all us of to fly so we pile in the car for hours on end together. No matter how big of a car we're in no one ever thinks they have enough room. Even though we may drive each other crazy on trips they end up being some of the best memories we have together.

8. You can never be a small party at a restaurant

When going out to eat your sever always thinks it's someone's birthday. Nope. Just another family outing.

9. Teachers always compare you and your siblings

You can't even get away from your siblings at school because teachers know that you're related. Thank goodness I'm the oldest so they didn't have anyone to compare me to. Good thing I left a good legacy for mine to follow.

10. You may fight, but at the end of the day you love each other

I know this one doesn't just apply to big families, but growing up you don't realize how much you rely on your siblings. They're the only ones that really understands your family like you do. The older you get the more of your best friend they become. I know we used to fight a lot and sometimes still do, but no matter how much we fight I would go to the end of the earth for my siblings. Sorry mom and dad for how much we fought with each other.

11. You have each others back no matter what

You may be mean to your siblings sometimes but the second someone else is, it's not OK. You're allowed to fight with them but no one else is. You even hide things from your parents for each other. Shh... No one tell mom and dad what we broke.

My family is loud, crazy and sometimes maybe a little bit obnoxious but I wouldn't have it any other way. No matter how crazy people might think we are I love the way my family is. Thank you mom and dad for giving me this crazy family.