13 Reasons Why Everyone Should Be Supporting The Alabama Men's Basketball Team

With all these reasons, you have no excuses now.

143
Alabama Basketball / Instagram

With only four games left in the regular season for The University of Alabama's men's basketball team, two of which will be played at home in Coleman Coliseum, I wanted to give those who haven't been on the Bama train a few reasons to come and pack the house in support for the boys.

The Tide has had quite an impressive run this season and continues to keep fans on the edge of their seats as the team showcases its skills. With both an incoming class of talented freshmen and its skilled returning players, Alabama has shown up and showed out throughout the season.

If that isn't reason enough to come and fill the stands, here are 13 reasons why everyone should be supporting the Alabama men's basketball team.

1. Donta Hall's Dunks

You don't know true excitement until you experience the astonishing moments when Donta Hall completely destroys the opposing team with his dunks.

The 6'9 forward has brought on numerous wild reactions with his skills, and I'm positive that you can expect much more to come from Hall. He shows up where he is needed and sets himself up in a position to score or rebound against the opposing team.

Apart from his dunks, my favorite Hall moment definitely has to be when Petty threw the ball from across the court and Donta tipped it into the basket before taking a fall in the latest game against LSU. Legendary.

2. The fact that they are 5-1 when it comes to ranked teams

Yeah, you definitely read that right. The Tide has won every game against a ranked opponent besides the bizarre instance in which the entire bench was ejected, Dazon was fouled out, Petty was injured, and the remaining boys finished with three players on the court.

And even then, they only lost by five points. Despite the adversity, they have continued to bring the heat and blow teams like Tennessee out of the water throughout the season, and as their journey continues, the experience of attending a game and being able to say "I was there when that happened" becomes even more special.

3. They are record-breaking

Speaking of Tennessee, did you know the team broke the record for the biggest win against a ranked team in the history of Alabama basketball? Yeah, they did that. With a final score of 78-50, the team defeated Tennessee and became truly legendary.

Can't forget to mention John Petty's 10 3-pointers in the game against Texas A&M that broke Alabama's record for most scored three-point shots in a single game. This is a team with great chemistry and impressive skill which is setting them apart from opponents and setting them up for greatness.

4. Their ability to bounce back

It's not a secret that the Tide has faced a bit of adversity throughout the season, but I think the thing that we need to take away from the fluctuation in wins and losses is that they continue to stay inspired and continue to strive for greatness.

They take the lessons they learn from the losses, turn them around, and put them to good use. They are constantly improving and fixing the problems that occurred in previous games no matter how small. That's apparent from recent games against teams like LSU and Tennessee. They keep proving that they are a team that has potential and that will go far in the long run.

5. The hype team

If you are looking for more entertainment than what's going on on the floor, you can always find serious hype coming from guys like Alex Reese and Lawson Schaffer. After each upset the Tide blows, you can always find the sideline going crazy.

They know exactly how to hype up the boys on the court and the crowd alike, making the attendance of home games a must. So even if you aren't a huge basketball fan, I promise the experience of being present and feeling the energy that the entire team brings will be worth it.

6. They are stars on the court and in the classroom

As the fall semester came to an end, the academic standings of the basketball team were released, and the results were quite impressive. There were seven members with GPAs over a 3.0, leading the boys to an overall team GPA of 3.016.

Freshman Alex Reese made the Dean's list of 3.5 or higher while Herbert Jones, Collin Sexton, and Tyler Barners made the President's List with GPAs of a 4.0 or higher. As you can see, this team has a lot going for them both on and off the court.

7. They give back

Whether it is helping with Hurrican Harvey Relief, visiting the RISE center, or supporting multiple causes through their platform, the Alabama men's basketball team makes a point to give back to their community.

If you take a journey through the team's Instagram you will see pictures of Daniel Giddens (Dan the Man as my friends and I commonly refer to him as) loading water for victims of Hurricane Harvey or of Braxton Key, Galin Smith, and Avery Johnson Jr. reading to children at the RISE Center.

You can also find the entire team helping students with their homework at local afterschool programs, which showcases that the team is about much more than basketball.

8. John Petty's 3-pointers

If there is one thing that you can count on during a game at Coleman Collesium, it's that John Petty will make a three-pointer. It's like magic, and you can feel it in the stands for sure. The people around you hold their breath and watch with bottled excitement as Petty goes to shoot. The ball leaves his fingers, and you can feel the anticipation.

No one moves in hopes that their stillness will somehow affect the outcome, but as soon as you watch the ball fall through the net, the crowd goes wild. It's a must experience that I highly encourage you to go out and watch.

9. "Young Bull" Collin Sexton

Besides being a Presidential student, Collin Sexton is a beast on the court and watching him is something that you definitely don't want to miss out on. He's quick on his feet, and you can tell that he is always thinking about how he can turn the situation to his advantage.

Sexton is currently the leader in points per game with an average of 18.3, which is also third within the SEC. He continues to show people that he is a talented athlete who doesn't back down. Rather, he adjusts to the circumstances and makes the best out of the situation at hand.

Coming in, I think that everyone had high hopes in their expectations of the 8th ranked prospect in the nation, and I believe Collin Sexton has yet to disappoint.

10. Dazon Ingram

Other than the fact that Dazon is an 11/10, there are many reasons why you should come watch him for the remaining two home games. First off, he was Mr. Basketball back in 2015 and was later named as the Outstanding Offense Player of the Year for the 2016-2017 season. In the 2017-2018 season, so far, Ingram has come back with force and regularly displays just how skilled he is on the court.

Currently, Dazon is ranked third in the SEC for defensive rebounds and second on the team for rebounding and assists. Let's just say, we are lucky that Dazon Ingram chose UA over Kentucky.

11. Lawson Schaffer, enough said

The man. The myth. The Legend. It's Lawson freaking Schaffer who has become the true star in everyone's heart. The junior walk-on from Cullman, AL quickly became a fan favorite as he has worked his way up through the program, bringing energy and some extra three-pointers to the team.

There is something special when the entire student section starts to chant Lawson's name in hopes for him to enter the game, and I think we are all grateful that he chose to come to Alabama. Also, the fact that he's from the same hometown as me makes it even better to watch him succeed on his path to becoming an Alabama basketball legend.

12. Coach Avery Johnson's passion

I think my favorite thing about Coach Avery Johnson is his concern for the little things. Whether it's making sure that the boys help their teammates up from a fall or spending one on one time with each player to build a solid relationship, Johnson cares about the sense of teamwork and respect driven into his players.

This shows that he isn't in this line of work for solely the money or the fame. He's here at the University of Alabama to cultivate young athletes in their skills and in their personal development to help further their lives. It is also quite entertaining trying to determine how far out on the court he will go before someone says something.

13. The team, as a whole

I could go on forever about how great each person on the team is and how valuable they are to the team as a whole, but I really don't think my editor wants to go through a ten-page article. However, I will say that the entire team has worked extremely hard to be where they are, and I don't believe they would be as great as they are without every member.

Each player is ready to step in and fulfill his role to the best of his abilities. They are willing to do whatever is asked of them, and they have the personal character to celebrate their teammates' accomplishments as much as they celebrate their own. That is why they are experiencing a great season.

They all have this chemistry on and off the court, and it's their ability to rely on one another that makes them a phenomenal team. They are much more than teammates.

They are brothers, and that is evident in their actions and their support for one another. So come out and watch this great team this Saturday because they always need your support.