13 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Watch "13 Reasons Why"

8. It gives no healthy alternative methods for relief

206
Deseret News

Since being made into a Netflix Original, "13 Reasons Why" has had a significant impact on society. From being one of the most widely streamed new shows on Netflix, to being the catalyst for numerous Twitter debates, to causing public service announcements from a copious number of schools warning students and parents of the show's content and potential repercussions, this show has attracted a lofty amount of attention.

I first came across this as a fourteen-year-old because it was on my high school's recommended reading list -- four years later, it now being condemned by schools, but widely supported by many inexperienced and impressionable adolescents. The following list is a culmination based on accounts and opinions of various teens who have dealt with many of the tribulations highlighted in the series and wish to share the dangers which "13 Reasons Why" irresponsibly presents.

1. It glorifies suicide

Suicide is a completely horrible tragedy to which 44,965 Americans fall victim each year. According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, that is an average of 123 lost lives every single day. While I doubt the author, Jay Asher, intended for his novel to spark such interest in suicide itself, this show has exposed many to the heartbreaking concept with relatively no disclaimers or alternative solutions. While this in itself should be a significant enough deterrent, I will continue with the remaining twelve.

2. It romanticizes depression

Depression is not anything that Hannah Baker makes it out to be. Victims of depression are constantly ailed with plights of self-doubt/hatred, reclusive tendencies, and many other terrible and dangerous thoughts. It is nothing to be romanticized or entertained by, especially when the show offers no actual help for viewers how are plagued with mental illness. I have truly not met one person who has suffered depression and who approve of or recommend this show.

3. It presents suicide as a solution

To make matters worse, this show explicitly presents suicide as the one and only solution for Hannah Baker’s situation. It needs to be universally reinforced that suicide is never a solution to mental illness despite whatever the victim currently believes while under a distorted state of mind. The only relative consequence of Hannah’s suicide is that others “feel bad”, and that in itself was motivation enough for her to commit suicide.

4. It shows rape on screen

Further escalating the threat of this show, the directors explicitly show the traumatic rape on screen for any child with a Netflix account to view. Not only is this utterly taboo, against all recommendations, and purely there to increase shock value, but could also be very threatening to viewers who have not read the novel and were unexpectedly subjected to the material, or who have unfortunately experienced this treacherous act themselves and could be irresponsibly reminded of their trauma.

5. It shows suicide on screen

Additionally, the directors apparently concluded that the shock value of this show was still not tragic enough and decided to show Hannah’s suicide on screen. A scene which is entirely too graphic and horrific for any responsible adult to allow children to watch.

6. It supports blaming others for your actions

The entire premise of this book is blaming others for Hannah committing suicide, making it seem as though she had no other choice because of what people had done to her. This is a completely ridiculous, irresponsible, and alarming message to broadcast, especially to the novel’s target audience of impressionable teenagers.

7. It deems guidance counselors as unreliable

"13 Reasons Why" also portrays school guidance counselors as unreliable and as bad resources for students dealing with stress, anxiety, or depression. Hannah’s guidance counselor fails to properly assist her when she confides in him about her traumatic rape. Instead, he accuses her of egging on her rapist by inquiring about whether she had been drinking alcohol and by asking her what she was wearing that may have enticed her attacker. Viewers could assume their own guidance counselors are also unable to help them, which can leave students helpless and with one less resource that should be readily available to them.

As previously mentioned, the show deems guidance counselors as unreliable, neglects to even mention going to parents for help, seeking a therapist, or other healthy methods to cope with mental illness. Anyone who watches a show based around suicide should at the very least be presented with viable, healthy methods for combating mental illness and preventing more suicides.

9. It promotes high school stereotypes

While not as significant as other list items, it is still not preferable for a show to reinforce negative high school stereotypes. The show does this repeatedly, labeling jocks as the ones to commit rape, girls who engage in sexual activity to be labeled derogatory terms while its okay for boys, and how only marginalized people suffer from mental illness. For the record, anyone is capable of rape despite social standing or gender, double standards are now and have always been wrong, and anyone is subject to suffering from mental illness, no matter how “popular”.

10. It glamorizes and supports revenge

Hannah is so fixated on making those who harmed her pay for what they’ve done, (something that actual sufferers of extreme depression are not even focused on) the way her actions are presented even encourages viewers to root for her to succeed in ruining the lives of those who offended her. This is nowhere near a healthy or moral concept to advertise.

11. It distorts real mental illness

Many who actually suffer from mental illness feel that this show entirely misrepresents what it is like to live with these ailments. The show greatly dilutes the suffering of those who struggle with things like depression, anxiety, and suicidal thoughts for up to years at a time and dramatizes every aspect of these struggles for entertainment and ratings. An abounding amount of those combating real mental illness are concerned that this show will make those who have not experienced it feel a false sense of empathy for they have only been exposed to a miscalculated, Hollywood version of mental illness.

12. It embellishes the idea of self-harm

"13 Reasons Why" portrays self-harm as everything that those who have not dealt with mental health issues already perceive it. Self-harm is not some cry for help or some immediate sense of relief for those who inflict it. Self-harm is an unhealthy coping mechanism that many use to escape what they are feeling, or the lack of feeling and to feel a false sense of control other something in life. It is yet another on the list of incorrect solutions the show deems as acceptable for those who struggle with mental illness.

13. It makes death seem beautiful

This franchise literally makes suicide, one of the most tragic and destructive actions, seem desirable to those who want to escape their current situation. While this is obviously the way some feel, it should not be promoted in any way shape or form especially when Hannah spent no time pursuing other healthy methods or even much time at all to deal with and work through her troubles. This sets a dreadful example for all who feel or have ever felt these strong emotions and should not be supported.