11 Things You Need To Know Before You Date My Brother

1. His family comes first.

1111
Author's photo

To the girl who will date my brother, it's nice to meet you. I want to be your friend and I want to like you, but there are more than a few things you should know before you start coming to family functions and eating the food out of my fridge. I'm not saying I'm going to be mean to you, but I'm definitely going to be a little wary when you first step into my house. Don't stress, I'm sure we'll get along great. Just to be sure, though, here's a list of some of the things you need to know before you date my brother.

SEE ALSO: Things I Learned From Having A Super Close Family

1. His family comes first.

Yes, I know you are important to him and he wants to make you happy. But, family comes first, and that doesn't mean just our parents and me. It means our grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and everyone in between. Our family is here for each other at all times, so if that means he has to cancel a date, he's going to cancel the date.

2. I know him better than you do.

Considering the fact that he's my younger brother, I've literally known him for his entire life. This doesn't mean that you can't get to know him well, it just means that there are going to be things I know that you don't. If anything, take this as a chance to try to know him better.

3. I'll make sure you're treated with respect.

Yes, I know what it's like to have a guy treat me poorly. I know how much it can hurt, and I'll make sure my brother doesn't treat you that way. The good news is my brother already knows the right way to treat a girl, so you're in luck.

4. There will be inside jokes you don't know.

This goes back to me knowing him better than you do; we've spent our entire lives together, there are going to be some jokes that you aren't a part of.

5. We're going to talk about you behind your back.

There's nothing you can do to avoid this. You can do something to make sure we're only saying good things, though. Don't be that psycho girlfriend and make us say negative things. Just don't do it.

6. I'm not afraid to tell him what I think of you.

Good or bad, I want my brother to know what I think of you.

7. It's better to be engaging when you're around us.

I know it's stressful being around the family. But, we're not gonna bite. We want to get to know you too, so definitely try to talk to us when you're over the house.

8. I can find out what type of person you are.

Just because I'm away at college, doesn't mean that I can't find out whether you're a nice person or not. Don't underestimate me.

9. We can tell if you're being fake.

Don't be one person to our faces and then take off the mask when you leave the kitchen. We can tell if you're not being genuine or not, so it's a good idea to start off on the right foot.

10. The family is going to want to know about you.

It may seem like an interrogation, but it's just our curiosity coming out. We won't ask anything embarrassing, but we do want to get to know you if you're going to be at our house every weekend.

11. There will be someone offering you food at all times.

No one is trying to make you gain weight, but our family believes in the power of a good meal. There's no better way to make someone feel welcome than to feed them a ridiculous amount of food, right?

I know these aren't all of the things you need to know before you start dating my brother, but at least it's a good start. You'll learn along the way, so don't stress. Just take it one step at a time.