12 Ways To Make The Most Of Your 2020 Summer On Long Island, New York

Being in quarantine due to COVID-19 has negatively impacted the world. People who realize the seriousness of this virus are concerned for the safety of themselves, friends, and family. Everyone cannot go out and enjoy the things they used to anymore without social distancing and wearing a mask for protection. However, you should not allow this setback from ruining your summer. Whether you are visiting family or staying at home, here are 12 activities that everyone can still do while remaining safe.

1. Go for a walk or bike ride

Even though the gym is closed, it's important to take care of your mental and physical health. This is a great way to social distance yourselves while getting some exercise. Ride your bike around the neighborhood with friends. If you do not have a bike, walking or jogging is a good alternative.

2. Visit a local park

This is a fun way to observe the beauty of nature and do cardio exercise while being safe. Make sure to bring a camera and take pictures of the scenery. Try making a sketch of the background if you love artwork. If you have kids or younger siblings, they will enjoy the playgrounds in some of the parks.

3. Plan a camping trip

You can have a fun time camping in the backyard. If you have a grill and fire pit, then roasting marshmallows, having a BBQ, telling stories, and playing music on a radio will make a fun and most certainly affordable outdoor experience. Another option would be taking your family to a National Park in an RV that's available for rent if you do not have one. This way you can enjoy the outdoors without the fear of being around large crowds of people.

4. Gardening

One activity that is fun, healthy, and will cause you to save money is starting a garden. Your family can get involved in helping to create a beautiful garden with freshly grown fruits, herbs, and vegetables. By doing this, you will spend less trips to the grocery store, gain access to a variety of nutritious food, and could possible open a plant nursery or farm stand.

5. Fishing

Taking a boat with your family or friends out for a day of fishing is a relaxing activity. Be sure to get an affordable fishing license first. There are several places where you can try and catch some delicious fish like trout, bass or salmon. This activity requires patience, but the experience itself is worth it.

6. Offer help to an elderly relative or neighbor

Running errands for a family member or neighbor who is elderly is generous and empathetic thing to do, especially since they are vulnerable. Buying their groceries, picking up food they ordered from a restaurant or just visiting them to talk. All of these are kind gestures that will go a long way. Remember to social distance when you go head outside to see them.

7. Donate to a charity

At this difficult time, one of the ways to give back to the community is donating to an organization or charity that needs assistance. Giving and raising money for Feeding America provides meals to families while donating to St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital offers assistance for kids battling cancer. Any amount you can give is beneficial. For those with birthdays during quarantine, you can ask family and friends to donate to a charity of your choice.

8. Go on a virtual museum tour

The Google Arts and Culture app lets users to view gallery paintings and read about them right from home. Utilize the tech that is available to enjoy the things that you love, even though you cannot visit these places in person. Google Maps is another option if you want to check out locations around the world. For those who have a virtual reality headset that want to a fun experience, search for a VR video on YouTube of a tour or theme park ride, put on your helmet, and enjoy.

9. Host a Netflix viewing party

For those with a subscription to Netflix, you can plan a day to watch a movie or show with your friends using the free Google Chrome extension Netflix Party. Use the group chat feature to talk about what you see. This is a cool and fun way to stay connected while social distancing. However, in order for this to work all of your friends need a Netflix account.

10. Movie Lot Drive-In

There are places that opened pop-up drive-in movie lots to allow people to watch classic or newer films. It started as a way to assure people that they can enjoy recreational activates in a safe way. Residents are glad to hear about these events that went into effect post-quarantine. Many of the movies are family-friendly so it's okay to bring your children.

11. Have a dance party at home

Since we cannot gather with friends at clubs or music venues at the moment, having a Zoom dance party at home is the next best thing. Whoever is the host of the party can put on their Spotify playlist with dance music of the past and present. They can also take requests. This is a fun and creative way to show off your dance moves right from your living room.

12. Attend a Farmer's Market

One way to social distance while having the opportunity to have a nice summer is visiting one of the farmer's markets that are currently open. Here you will find vendors that are selling fresh vegetables, fruits, and desserts. Make sure to wear a mask and stay 6 feet apart from each other. You can even pre-order food in advance to pick up at one of the booths.