12 Unique Eateries In Northern New Jersey

Experience a night out of the ordinary with unique grilled cheese combinations, fondue fun, or traditional Irish fare.

2253
The Melt Factory

It's a Friday night and your friends are texting in a group chat about where to go out and eat, but you have already eaten at every restaurant they are mentioning and you want to do something different—something out of the ordinary. Even if it means taking a trip to another town because you've tried every restaurant near your house, you and your friends are willing to take the journey for a unique night out. Almost every county in Northern New Jersey has a Kentucky Fried Chicken, a Panera Bread, or an Applebees, but there is a never-ending list of unique eateries waiting to be experienced—eateries that blow every chain restaurant out of the water. From traditional Chinese Polynesian cuisine to a pizzeria that serves dessert options as a topping, here are just a few of the most unique places to eat in the Northern New Jersey area.

1. The Melt Factory

It is just what the doctor ordered—a �gourmet grilled cheese sandwich at two in the morning. Perfect for both the late-nighter looking for something greasy and the rushed individual searching for a quick pick-me-up of mozzarella, The Melt Factory mixes fast food with a classic American sandwich. What truly makes this eatery unique is the variety of grilled cheese options, from the fresco sandwich (mozzarella, provolone, and peppers) to the buffalo chicken (chicken, cheddar, and buffalo sauce.) Whether you are stopping in for a hasty lunch or hungry after midnight, The Melt Factory provides a cheesy delight for the hustle and bustle of Morristown.

2. Beignets

Almost everyone has heard of California Donuts, also known as the most talked about donut shop on the West Coast. The need for extraordinary donuts may not be as hyped up on the East Coast as it is on the West Coast, but that does not mean that we don't have our very own unique donut shop in Northern New Jersey. Beignets, located in Denville of Morris County, has a wide variety of oddly delicious donuts. S'mores donuts with mini marshmellows, strawberry shortcake donuts with a graham cracker topping, and a tropical island donut with banana glaze; the options are endless and there is something for everyone's taste buds.

3. Morristown Pancake House

Many people will ask why the Morristown Pancake House is so unique as it merely seems like a pancake house with typical breakfast options. In this assumption, many people are sorely wrong. What makes the Morristown Pancake House truly unique is that there are options for every type of diet or lifestyle choice. From the classic french toast smothered in syrup to an endless array of gluten-free and vegan options, the Morristown Pancake House has one of the most diversified menus in Northern New Jersey.

4. Brother Bruno's Pizza

Although Brother Bruno's classic pizza is amazing, it is their dessert pizzas that make it one of the many unique eateries in Northern New Jersey. Located down the street from William Paterson University, college students flock to Brother Bruno's to ease their sweet tooth by purchasing a delicious sugary pizza with delectable glazes and toppings of their choice.

5. iPic Luxury Movie Theater

Wine and dine at this newly-opened luxury movie theater in Bergen County with its high-quality leather seating and attentive waiters who strive to make your night at the movies an experience you won't forget. A night at iPic Luxury Movie Theater may not come as cheap as a regular screening, but it is worth the price for a night of indulgence.

6. Mr. Crabby's Seafood House and Sports Bar

Who said sports bars were overrated? Perhaps people who don't like sports and want to avoid big crowds. At Mr. Crabby's in Randolph, you can enjoy the vibe of the seafood house with outdoor seating and a separate area from the bar while still savoring in the benefits of a sports bar menu. Not only will you have a much different experience from a regular sports bar, you will also be able to try out some unique dishes that many seafood places do not offer. From an edamame side with assorted salts to a grilled pineapple gluten free pizza, the variety is limitless.

7. The Melting Pot

At the melting pot of Whippany, food enthusiasts have the opportunity to try something beyond the average dining experience with flaming pots of melted chocolate and assorted foods for dipping. If you want an exciting night out and you love chocolate covered delights, head on over to this unique eatery.

8. Montclair Bread Company

New Jersey can't get enough of gourmet donuts and sweets. Take a break from that no-sugar diet and travel to Montclair for a taste of Montclair Bread Company's sugary charm. With a wide variety of treats, donuts are not the only thing that this bakery holds behind its rustic, garage-like exterior. Besides their spectacular donuts, they have an entire menu of sandwiches, danishes, and breads that have made them one of the best bakeries in New Jersey.

9. The Tiny Elephant

This tiny restaurant in Montclair seems to be the epicenter of Watchung Avenue. Connected to a thriving independent bookstore, The Tiny Elephant is the ideal place to eat after purchasing some good reads. If you are looking for a relaxing outdoor cafe vibe with pleasant service and healthy options, The Tiny Elephant is the place for you.

10. Thatcher McGhee's

Northern New Jersey is home to many Italian, Mexican, Chinese and Thai restaurants, but one type of cuisine that is hard to come across when driving down a strip of eateries is a restaurant featuring a vast menu of Irish cuisine. Thatcher McGhee's menu ranges from corned beef starters to entrees of bangers and mash. Not only do they have some of the best Irish cuisine in the area, they also have amazing service and beautiful decor that makes you feel as though you are in the heart of Ireland.

11. Lee's Hawaiian Islander

When you think of New Jersey, you don't exactly think of palm trees or tiki torches. At Lee's Hawaiian Islander, Northern New Jersey residents can feel the southern pacific vibes of Hawaiian traditions and enjoy island-themed decor and exquisite Chinese Polynesian entrees.

12. Kafe Mozart

Located on the ever busy Route 10, Kafe Mozart is an incredible gift to travelers and locals who want a savory crepe after their main meal. Kafe Mozart offers actual food such as salads, soups, and daily specials, but essential to Kafe Mozart are its wondrous crepes. From s'mores crepes with warm Nutella to an Elvis Presley crepe with peanut butter and sliced banana, you will not be disappointed.