12 Things I Learned In 20 Years

12 Things I Learned In 20 Years

"Surrender to what is, let go of what was, have faith in what will be"

12
12 Things I Learned In 20 Years

1. Life is way too short to be unhappy

No use in getting upset over spilled milk, life truly is short. You may think the days go on and on but when you look back it all flashed right by you. If you aren't getting treated right at your job, leave. If your significant other tears you down and lets you cry yourself to sleep at night, leave. If you need a change, move. If you feel stuck in a deep, dark hole, seek help. Do what you need to do for your own mental well being, put your happiness first.

2. Not everyone is going to like you

People either like you, or they don't. You cant please everyone, just be true and honest to yourself. Don't let it bother you. For that one person that doesn't like you, there's over 20 who adore you.

3. Step out of your comfort zone

Do something you normally wouldn't. Face your fears. Challenge yourself. The after feeling when you finally take that step is overwhelming and amazing.

4. You don't have to have your shit together right out of high school

This one, this one got to me for awhile. If you didn't go to college, it's not the end of the world. If you did and you're struggling, don't worry it will all work out. You will get a good job, you will graduate, you will make it. All it takes is hard work and dedication and everything will fall into place.

5. It's okay to make mistakes

Everyone makes them. It's what you do with your mistake. Turn it into a lesson learned and move on. If you continue to think on your past mistakes you will stress yourself out beyond belief. Learn and move forward.

6. Photograph everything that makes you happy

Yes, everything. Memories last a lifetime but they can fade, pictures give you a sense of nostalgia and happiness when you look back at them. Keep a scrapbook, you will be glad you did.

7. Buy the plane ticket

If you've always wanted to visit somewhere new, go. Don't let excuses like work get in the way. Take some time off, because if you don't do it now you maybe never will. Save a little each paycheck and you'll be surprised how easy it is if you finally just go. Experiences are more vaulble than money will ever be. Adventures feed your soul.

8. Follow your damn dreams

I can't tell you how many times I've heard people older than me talk about the dream they had. They didn't chase it, and they regret it. If you have a passion for something and it lights a fire within you, run after it. Everyday work towards it, get closer. It could seem unattainable, but you can make it happen. Trust in your dreams, they lead you where you're meant to be.

9. Never go a day without reminding your family of how much you love them

The people that have had your back since day one, and even when you mistreated them they still stuck around. They love you and would do absolutely anything for you. Life is unpredictable, you never know when the last time you'll see someone is. So hug them, visit more often, and love them unconditionally.

10. Always take time to hangout with yourself

Take a walk, read a new book, order takeout, binge watch Netflix, you're never to busy to take time for yourself. Take care of your mind, body, and spirit.

11. Don't stress about dating

You're young, you won't be "forever alone" because you're single. The right person will find you, in the meantime work hard on your dreams and goals.

12. Make someone's day

No you don't have to pay for the person in the drive thru behind you (although that's my fav thing to do) simply complimenting a stranger, do the dishes even when its not your turn, help someone who's car is broke down on the side of the road, go out of your way for others. Some won't appreciate it, and that's fine. You will feel good with yourself at the end of the day.

"Have faith in your journey, everything had to happen exactly as it did to get you where you're going next" - Mandy Hale