12 Things To Do On The Disney College Program At Walt Disney World

Walt Disney World offers a lot of opportunities for Disney College Program Interns to take advantage of these awesome memory-making opportunities!

1397
Missy Hargrove, Personal Facebook Page

On the Disney College Program, you have a lot of opportunities and awesome events planned that you don't want to miss! I enjoyed the events and had a great time on my program. There was so much to do and dedicated days to challenges and doing something new. I found many cool things to do on the Disney College Program that you don't want to skip out on. Here are 12 of my favorites:

1. Four Parks in One Day

This challenge is actually popular and Cast Members love to do it. As a Cast Member, you can easily go in and out of the parks which makes this challenge even easier. Grab your buddies, check your calendar and make a plan. Start with the park that is first to close and work your way down. When I did this challenge, my roommates, Alecia, Kamber and I started with Animal Kingdom and next was Hollywood Studios and Epcot, and last Magic Kingdom. We planned three attractions at each park and had a fantastic day. We actually included more stops than just the four parks, which was a resort, trip back to the apartment (I forgot to bring my other shoes and wore rain boots due to the heavy rain shower that morning), and dinner at Bahama Breeze before ending it with Wishes at Magic Kingdom.

2. Disney VoluntEARs

As a Cast Member, you are offered opportunities to volunteer for charities, schools and the overall community. I know a friend who volunteered to help build a playground at a local school. I unfortunately never volunteered, and wish I did. I plan to start volunteering more when I move back and hopefully become a Cast Member again next fall. I want to encourage anyone who is a Cast Member to consider volunteering through Disney, and if you’re not a Cast Member, you should still consider volunteering in your community.

3. Cast Connections and Company D

Take advantage of being a Cast Member. Check out Cast Connections for some awesome deals on Disney merchandise. Cast Connections also has Property Control in the building, where cast members can purchase merchandise that has been returned or damaged for cheap. I found a lot of cool things at Cast Connections that they don’t sell in the parks anymore and some awesome stuff in Property Control without hurting my bank account. Go and visit Company D for some awesome Cast Members only merchandise. This is where you can purchase Cast Exclusive pins and the awesome lanyard cords with your favorite Disney Character. I have an Ariel lanyard, Disney College Program pins, a Carousel of Progress Cast Exclusive t-shirt and a blue water bottle that says Cast Member on it. This is where you also buy I.D. holders for your blue I.D. and discounted tickets to the parks.

4. Wild Africa Trek

Of course, anyone can do the Wild Africa Trek with admission for Animal Kingdom, but as Cast Members, you get a discount on the three-hour tour in the Pangani Forest and more parts of the Safari. You get a closer look at the animals and learn more about them, get amazing views and a great lunch on the Savannah. This tour is phenomenal. You learn a lot about the animals and get the best photos. The experience is well worth it. Walking across the rope bridges and looking down to see hippos and crocodiles is something I’ll never forget.

5. Resort Hop

Most people don’t think to do this, but it’s great to explore the resorts and as Cast Members, you have the time. Spend an off day exploring the resorts. There are so many great resorts to visit. You can walk through a Disney movie at Art of Animation or go horseback riding at Fort Wilderness. Grab a Dole Whip at the Polynesian and eat at 1900 Park Fare in the Grand Floridian. The resorts have a lot to offer, so definitely check them out.

6. Attend The Housing Events

Disney Housing always has themed events for the interns. Most of the time held at Chatham Square Field where you can grab a piece of pizza, meet people and play games, and sometimes, even meet rare characters. I didn’t get to go to many due to my work schedule, but when I did, I got to meet Chip and Dale in a cute Chinese outfit and Mushu. The event was Chinese-themed and it was a great cultural opportunity. We had a lot of fun, and the decorations were awesome, and there was free food. They even throw pool parties and those are even more fun. Doing the cha cha slide in the pool and hanging out and making friends was so much fun. Don’t miss out on these opportunities if you’re able to go. I hated missing them.

7. Explore Orlando and Travel Outside of Orlando

Orlando is full of stuff to do. There’s a mini golf course on almost every street, and the premium outlets next to The Commons, Chatham Square and Patterson Court are awesome to go shopping at. They are always having great sales at the stores. Try out the local restaurants like Tijuana Flats: it’s amazing. It’s near Sea World, and is an awesome Mexican restaurant. My roommates and I loved to go here and became obsessed with it. Also, Florida has other great cities surrounding Orlando that have great things too. Just 45 minutes away is Daytona Beach, FL -- a beautiful beach that happens to be the "World’s Most Famous Beach". Perfect for a beach day.

8. Take a Disney Class

As part of the Disney College Program, interns can take classes that are specific to their major or classes that explore and give additional insight on the Walt Disney Company. I took Disney Heritage which explores the start of Walt Disney and the company. It was awesome to learn about Walt’s childhood, the studios and how the company grew to what it is today. My roommate, Alecia, took the production class (I forgot the name), where she got to learn about the shows like "Fantasmic!", and go behind the scenes to learn how the show is put on every night. These classes offer a lot of opportunities. There is networking, hospitality, marketing and other classes that are offered. Definitely think of taking one or more if you can.

9. Swim With The Sharks At Typhoon Lagoon

Okay, now this one wasn’t for me, but my roommates seemed to love it. I chickened out as always. It just wasn’t my thing. But my roommates loved it. So if you’re not scared by it, it would be an awesome experience.

10. Go To The Park By Yourself

Sometimes you want to go to the parks with your roommates or friends, but then it may be your off day and none of your roommates or friends are off work. Don’t be afraid to venture by yourself to the parks. It is not as bad as you think. I often spent time in the parks by myself and loved it. I could easily grace through the park doing what I wanted to without a care in the world. I spent one day just meeting characters and spent another reading in the hub grass in front of Cinderella Castle -- I enjoyed it. I was by myself, but I was having fun. Me time in the parks is so relaxing.

11. Dedicate A Day To Meeting Characters

Spend one day going character hunting. I loved taking my autograph book and getting it filled and meeting characters. My roommates and I loved meeting Mickey, Tinker Bell, the princesses and Gaston. I always remember my princess chats with Cinderella, tips on braiding hair with Rapunzel, swimming with Ariel, dreaming over Gaston and doing the hot dog dance with the boss, Mickey Mouse. Meeting characters always filled my heart, and spending a whole day meeting them is awesome.

12. Attend The Disney College Program Graduation

You don't want to miss this: You've earned it. You've worked hard, and now the end is coming and it's time to celebrate. Pick up your grad ears and your certificate and grab a pic with Graduation Mickey and Minnie. Then head over and grab a plate of the catering food, for graduation on my program Sonny's BBQ catered, and it was amazing. After that, Alecia and I spent our graduation day in Magic Kingdom Celebrating. It was a great day I'll never forget.

13. Go To The End Of Program Event

Towards the end of your Disney College Program, Disney Internships and Programs plans a huge event for all the interns. It’s a great night of fun, meeting characters, and celebrating. If you’re in the fall program, they host a winter formal. In the spring time, it’s a pool party. Not just any pool party. When I was on my program, they rented out Typhoon Lagoon for us and had Starlit Splash. I had planned to go. I came home from playing at Hollywood Studios, and put on my swimsuit. I was almost out the door when I decided to not to go. It had gotten a little chilly after the sun went down and I decided I didn’t want to go, which was a mistake. I wish I had gone now. My friends and roommates had a ton of fun! Don’t skip out on these opportunities unless you have to. You may regret them.