Why The Disney College Program Could Change Your Life

If you have ever thought about doing the Disney College Program, what are you waiting for?

55
Missy Hargrove

The Disney College Program applications have officially dropped. It is officially recruiting season again! And for every Alumni like myself, I know the agony of recruiting season and you can’t apply for reasons we all have (for me, it was school). But I know we all want to share this amazing opportunity more than anything, and if you have ever been on the boat or edge about doing the Disney College Program, let me share with you how it changed my life and how it could change yours. And nothing ever hurts applying! You never know what’s going to happen, sometimes you just have to take the jump.

For many, the Disney College Program can be life changing. I know this was the case for me. I went down for the Disney College Program in the spring of 2015. I was following a dream of working at Walt Disney World. I didn’t know what I was actually in for. That January was a brand new world for me.

This program could be the first time you live on your own. I know this was the case for me. I attend a junior college right now that is close to home, so instead of getting an apartment or staying in the dorms, it’s easier for me to stay with my parents and drive to school. So the DCP was the first time for me to live independently. And goodness, it was a roller coaster but at the same time, a blessing. I moved in with five other girls into a three bedroom, six person apartment. It was a crazy adventure. I had so many memories with these girls. Every person you meet, whether it be your roommates, coworkers, or even the guests you encounter become part of your program. And they can either make or break your experience. But it’s what you make of it. Out of the six of us, I became best friends with two of them. I parted ways with the other three of them. We had some challenges and some disagreements. I was little inexperienced when it came to settling an argument, but I learned. And we were able to get through our program without fighting or hating each other, and I still remember the impact they had on my program and I smile. Moving in with other people can be scary, but have an open mind. Be patient, and talk it out. Find a way that works. It was a blessing in disguise. And those two roommates who are now my best friends, Alecia and Kamber. I don’t know where I would be without those two. They have become dear close friends, who are like family. My mom even wants to trade Kamber for me. I’m just joking, my mom loves me. I also met many people throughout my program. My coworkers were the best. And I made a great friend at my location, Tess. The many times we’d go out and get something to eat and her trying to mimic my southern accent with “sweet tea” is one thing I remember the most and find myself laughing about and reminiscing over our memories. There were many others along with these three girls who shaped and made my program absolutely amazing.

I was given so many opportunities on the Disney College Program. The program is an incredible opportunity itself, but Disney host a lot of events for the interns to make connections and make friends. They hosted fun housing events with cool themes. You can meet a lot of people here and the themes are sometimes cultural and give you a taste of a different culture and it’s cool to take that in.

Working at Walt Disney World, making magic for the guests was my favorite part of the program. Some of the guests had an impact on me. I saw a lot of young princesses and princes, pirates, fairies, and adventurers come through the park. I enjoyed every moment of getting to interact with them and make their trip extra magical. Some guests have left memories with me, like the one princess dressed as her favorite princess Belle from Disney’s "Beauty and the Beast." We were chatting as we rode to her ball field (I worked at ESPN Wide World Of Sports and drove the Courtesy Carts) and she melted my heart as she talked about "Beauty and the Beast" and how her daddy is the “Beast.” It was the cutest thing I ever saw. And her parents were so happy to see her opening up and talking to me. That moment was magical for both of us. And then there was another time, when I was greeting and my fellow cast member, Juliana and I were standing with a lady waiting on her daughter and this lady was talking to us about her trip and asked us about our lives. She asked about school and our passions. And when I spoke about my passion of musical theatre, she insisted I start singing, and that she could be an undercover boss, and I would never know. We had a little singing show right there in front of the complex, it’s one of my favorite memories.

I had a lot of fun on my program. I grew up so much. I learned how to live on my own, how to live with roommates, how to manage my money. I explored the state of Florida, and I fell in love with it. I took trips to Daytona Beach, Vero Beach (I’ve been here a lot, my Aunt Kay lives here), and Cocoa Beach. Kamber even found a beautiful drive on country back roads to Cocoa Beach, which was awesome! I made lasting friendships across the globe. And I learned so much and made connections in an amazing, huge company. Now, I am more motivated in school and have great skills that help me in school and at my job, and even with my hobbies. If you are on the edge of the Disney College Program, don’t scare yourself out. Take the jump and apply. You never know what will happen. Stop thinking about the “what if.” Take the chance, it may be the best thing to happen to you! And it never hurts to apply! Hey, all this has me thinking that maybe I should apply for a second program (wink, wink!).