12 Reasons To Love Clemson, South Carolina

"Where the Blue Ridge yawns its greatness."

563
Dawson Powers

Clemson, South Carolina is the town that once you enter it, your heart longs to stay forever. It's the town that is filled with thousands of people every other Saturday in the fall to cheer on the current reigning National Champions (that is still so fun to say). It's one of the many towns that I love and here are the 12 reasons I love Clemson (and probably everyone else does to).

1. Death Valley

Whether it's a Saturday in the fall or a random day of the week, Death Valley is sure to be a welcoming place. The place where the Tigers play. The place where you can witness the most exciting 25 seconds in College Football. The place where the 2017 seniors saw their Natty rings for the first time...I had to include that, the place where you cheer on the Tigers with over 80,000 of your closest friends and the place that you feel right at home when you see the words "Clemson Welcomes You To Death Valley".

2. The Family Atmosphere

Anytime I have ever been to Clemson I have felt welcome and like a part of one big, happy family. Seriously, anytime you hear someone say "Clemson Family", they really mean it. Whether it's a Saturday in Death Valley or a week-day visit you will most likely be greeted by someone associated with Clemson and welcomed with open arms. People in Clemson are not only die hard Tiger fans but they are some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

3. The Swinney Family

Dabo, Kathleen, Will, Drew, and Clay. Every time I hear those names, I think of the sweetest, most selfless, and most genuine family you will ever meet. I have never met them personally but from what I have seen and heard, I would have to say they are pretty spectacular people. Dabo will take pictures with you at Friday night football games when he'd probably rather be getting something to eat or watching his sons play but he's just that nice. The football players don't call Kathleen, "Mama Kathleen" for anything. I've heard she's super special too. Those Swinney boys seem to be absolutely precious too (and they have fabulous genes). If you ever get the chance to meet this family, you'll know what I mean.

4. The Football Program

Clemson is most known for their football program. A program that has taken high school players from small towns and made them well-known NFL stars and a program that continues to develop into the best football program in the country. This past January was the icing on the cake for this program. Winning a National Championship for the second time was and still is the celebration of a lifetime. Seriously, I cried and jumped up and down for the longest time, it was absolutely surreal and something I will never ever forget. It's also the program that not only high schoolers but young kids dream of playing for and I can't wait to watch this program soar.

5. The Fans

Clemson fans are in a category of their own. I am one of them and I have to admit, we're pretty spectacular. We're the fanbase that gets up before the roosters crow just to tailgate and spend time together before the game. The fans of Clemson will also travel near and far to cheer on their Tigers and celebrate like no other. We're the fans that will gather by the thousands (60,000 to be exact) for a Spring game and the ones that will gather by the thousands to welcome back the National Champions. We're also the fans that will greet you with open arms into our Stadium and show you what true Southern hospitality is and you're sure to always remember us.

6. Tiger Rag

Played by "The Band that Shakes the Southland", the Tiger Rag is a song that will have you screaming to the top of your lungs. Tiger Rag is the song that is a lot of people's ringtones and a song that when you hear it, you get chills and can't stop smiling. C-L-E-M-S-O-N T-I-G-E-R-S, fight Tigers, fight Tigers, fight fight fight!

7. Danny Ford

Most people can't think of Clemson without thinking of Danny Ford. Danny played football at the University of Alabama and years later he became the youngest head coach in Division 1 football. He lead the 1981 football team to Clemson's first National Championship and was named National Coach of the Year. In his 11 seasons as a coach, he compiled 5 ACC Football Championships and his winning percentage is the third highest in ACC history. Also, his 96 victories as one of Clemson's head coaches, puts him at 4th best in ACC history. Danny Ford was one heck of a coach and is one of the most genuine people you will ever meet.

8. Downtown Clemson

Whether you want to shop for a game day outfit or eat good food, Downtown Clemson is the place to be. You can listen to good music, eat a good burger or just hangout with friends. Friday nights before a game and Saturdays before and after the game, downtown is filled with people of all ages. If you get the chance to go to Clemson, be sure and go downtown, you won't regret it.

9. The Esso Club

The Esso Club is usually a must stop for many Clemson fans on game days. It is one of the top sports bars in the country and was once home to a gas station but was later transformed into a place where Clemson fans, students, and even ESPN anchors would and will continue gathering for years to come.

10. Howard's Rock

Howard’s Rock is not just any rock. It’s a rock that countless players have touched before running down the hill and onto the field. It is very sentimental and a vital part of Clemson football and the history of Clemson. Many pictures are taken at Howard’s Rock and if you ever get the chance to touch it, consider yourself special. As Frank Howard said, “If you can’t give me 110% then keep your filthy hands off my rock”.

11. The Natty

January 9th, 2017 will be a day that Clemson fans will never forget. It’s the day that the Clemson Tigers won the National Championship and I still get chills when I hear/see the ending of the game. That night was a night that Clemson fans cried happy tears and shared some of the best moments. That night was celebrated with shirts, parades, and lots of parties, and even rings. Can’t forget the rings. The 2017 National Championship will be something that I will never forget and I can’t wait to see it plastered right next to the 1981 National Champions in Death Valley.

12. The Hill

Deemed as “The Most Exciting 25 Seconds in College Football”, running down the hill is yet another vital part of Clemson tradition. Right before a game, when the players file off the buses and stand at the top of the hill and the canons sound off, you’re about to witness history. Clemson football players run down the hill and it will literally give you chills. When they say it’s that exciting, they’re not kidding.

There are many other reasons to love Clemson, but these are my top 12. I love this town and I love the Clemson Tigers!

Go Tigers!