13 Reasons Why Hong Kong Is The Best City

I could go on for longer but then you'd get bored.

1427
TechCrunch

There's a city located in Southeast Asia between Mainland China and the South China Sea called Hong Kong. There are three major territories: Hong Kong Island, Kowloon, and New Territories. You may or may not have heard of it. In case you haven't, here's a little bit about the best city in the world (absolutely no bias here).

1. It's an international financial hub if you're into that.

The picture above clearly demonstrates the sheer number of licensed banks that exist in Hong Kong. In 2015, as well as past years, it has been voted the "Best Business City in the World" by Business Traveller Asian Pacific magazine.

2. People actually want to use public transportation.

Honestly speaking, who wouldn't want to? Our subway system is called the MTR and it has free Wifi. Our buses have two floors and functioning air-conditioners for the summer. Enough said. But seriously, Hong Kong's population is one of the least car-dependent cities in the world, with 90% using public transportation regularly.

That doesn't change the fact that rush hour is still awful.

3. Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee.

Anyone who calls themselves a Martial Arts or Kung Fu aficionado, or has seen Rush Hour, will know these two men. These are just two among some famous Hong Kong natives. Another name to add to that list is Professor Charles Kao. Hailed as the "Father of Fiber Optic Communications", he won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2009.

Those abs, am I right?

4. City living is an understatement.

Hong Kong is home to around 1,302 skyscrapers. That is 583 more than New York City, just saying. The International Commerce Center, at 108-stories, stands as the tallest building in the city. At one point it was the fourth tallest building in the world, but other countries decided to build skyscrapers too and now it has moved to the 10th tallest. At least it's still in the Top 10.

5. But if you're looking for scenic landscapes, we have that too.

6. A population diversity that is unparalleled.

Hong Kong ranks fourth in the world as the most densely populated state, with a population of 7.3 million and a land area of 427 square miles. That is greater than the number of people who live in the state of Washington. Its population consists of those from all over the world especially Indonesia, Phillippines, England, and America.

7. Anything and everything you could ever want to eat. You could eat here:

This place is called the Jumbo Kingdom and is a floating restaurant on the Aberdeen Marina (one of the many in Hong Kong).

Or Here.

Tsui Wah is a fast food restaurant with locations scattered throughout the city. It brings a whole new meaning to fast food.

8. Dim Sum.

I already mentioned food but Dim Sum directly contributes to why Hong Kong is amazing. It is a must-try item on any tourist's itinerary. Since we're on the food note, its worth mentioning that Hong Kong has around 15,000 restaurants.

9. Hong Kong International Airport.

Aside from the basic functions of an airport, there is a Golf Simulation Center, an Aviation Discovery Center, and an IMAX Movie Theater. Yes, an IMAX Theater.

10. Two theme parks? I think yes.

Given the city's experience with cramming people into small places, it is no surprise that we have not one but two theme parks. Disneyland and an aquarium-zoo-theme-park. Don't let the name Ocean Park deceive you, it has both land and aquatic animals. Take that SeaWorld. Did I mention that it has cable cars too?

11. The party district.

Hong Kong has one of the most famous party districts (it's really just one long alley) in the world - Lan Kwai Fong, otherwise known as LKF. What many, including locals, don't know is that the area used to be home to some flower stalls and warehouses, giving the area its name that loosely translates as "Orchid Square." The area began its transformation towards what it is today in the 1980s, thanks to Allan Zeman, the "Father of Lan Kwai Fong".

12. The view from here.

Or here.

I guess this is alright too.

13. A culture where East and West coexist peacefully.

This probably sounds like a travel guide, but it's really just a plug for the best city in the world. Hong Kong is a place that values its Eastern and Western heritage which directly contributes to the worldview of those who call it home. You'll often find that people from Hong Kong are worldly and open-minded because we have been exposed to so many different cultures. There are so many more reasons why it is the best city in the world, but for now, this should suffice.