12 Questions I Had For The University Of Cincinnati Before Enrolling

An overview of the questions you may have before enrolling at University.

54
Lucy and Louise

Have you already begun your journey at the University of Cincinnati? Maybe you're considering your options, and UC is your safety net. Regardless of your situation, you've no doubt had questions that need answering before you can give the final say on the next few years of your life.

Before I joined the UC community, I was a student at a local community college, and boy did I have some questions. I'd like to share some of those questions and the answers that I received from UC's staff or on my own through a little bit of exploration.

1. Should I give the university a call?

Whatever you do, don't be afraid to ask the questions that come to mind. If you're at home wondering whether or not you should pick up the phone, do not hesitate to call the admissions staff. Admissions is dedicated to providing you with all the information and tools necessary for your success.

2. Has the University of Cincinnati received accreditation?

One of the biggest problems that students around the nation face when attempting to transfer their credits is finding out that their school is not an accredited institution. This can cause major discrepancies when transferring credits and can even make students retake courses they have already passed. The good news is that UC is accredited by the HLC/NCA.

3. Who can help my transition to the University of Cincinnati?

If you're worried about where to purchase your annual parking pass, when the deadline is to enroll for classes, or maybe where to get your student I.D., then a quick stop to the advising department for your program is exactly what you need. UC's advisers have been pivotal in my on-campus experience and have helped me at every turn. No matter the question, they were always there to help.

4. Does the University of Cincinnati have minors that interest me?

If you know what it is you intend on majoring in, then you most likely have a minor in mind as well. UC offers a variety of minors to fit your academic interests, so all you have to do is pull up the website, find the college associated with your choice of minor, and see what's available and what classes you will need to fulfill the requirements for that minor.

5. What is the campus life like and how do I get involved?

Whether you're looking to party or find a group of like-minded individuals to hash out ideas and projects with, it's important to find out what the campus life has in store for you. As an English major, I've found a variety of clubs that suit my personal and professional interests and really only needed to contact the people who posted the fliers and spread the word.

6. How successful is the program I intend on enrolling in?

This is very important. One thing I did regarding this issue was find a graduate from my program and get in touch with them to see how they felt about their individual education. I could have asked an adviser, but I wanted to make sure that the response I received was unbiased so that I could make the decision on good information.

7. What kind of job internships are available for upperclassmen?

UC has a program called the Academic Internship Program (AIP) which helps connect interested students and employers. The wonderful staff that runs this program is welcoming to all students and will work with you to find a place of employment that will help pave your way to a promising career.

8. Does the University assist graduates with post-graduation job placement?

Employers regularly visit UC in search of bright new minds. UC also runs an annual Fall and Spring career week to give their students and prospective employers a chance to unite and chart a path forward. In addition to this, you also have the previously mentioned internship program which can, through hard word and dedication, usually lead to a long term position.

9. Will refunds be dispersed early enough for me to purchase my school supplies?

This may seem like a strange thing to worry about, but when you are relying on your refund to help pay for school supplies it is important to recognize this as a legitimate concern. I'm glad to share that UC's refund distributions are processed several days prior to the start of the semester, barring any personal discrepancies with financial aid.

10. Are there a variety of electives to choose from to fulfill my credit requirements?

While my taste in electives may vastly vary from yours, I can confirm that UC has a HUGE collection of available electives to help expand your studies. Being that I transferred in, I am required to take a particular number of credits within the McMicken College before I can graduate, and I have used this opportunity to expand my expertise and usefulness in the job market.

11. Does UC offer a reasonable amount of distance education (online) courses?

After transferring, I was pleased to find that I could complete a large majority of my general education (Gen-Eds) online without hassle. UC offers plenty of online courses to help alleviate the strain of a semester burdened with a busy campus schedule.

12. Are there ample housing opportunities and reasonable transportation services?

While I decided against living on campus for financial reasons, there were plenty of on and off-campus housing units available for students to move into. In regard to transportation services, UC has partnered with the local metro company to reduce the cost of bus transit via a unique student metro pass.

I hope that my experience with the University of Cincinnati has proved insightful for you. If you have any additional questions, feel free to drop a comment below, and I will do my best to address it.