12 Exciting Spring Break Destinations That Aren't Beaches

For those craving an adventure this spring break.

104
Tessa Hanlon

Sometimes a week at the beach lying in the sand is the perfect way to get away from the stress of spring semester. But if you’re looking to satisfy your wanderlust and go on the adventure of a lifetime, it’s time to ditch the beach and go outside your comfort zone—whether that means exploring a new city or climbing a mountain. Here’s a list of awesome American adventures waiting to be checked off your bucket list:

1. Zion National Park, Utah

From Angel's Landing at nearly 6,000 feet to the valley floor, Zion offers natural beauty in every color. In addition to numerous hiking trails, this national park is known for its unique adventures including rappelling, rock climbing, and trekking through the narrows of the Virgin River.

2. Smoky Mountain National Park, Tennessee

The most beautiful section of the Appalachian Mountains lies on the border of Tennessee and North Carolina and features thick forest, flowing rivers, and plenty of woodland creatures. If you're looking for more than a trek through nature, check out Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, the two resort towns just outside of the Smokies offering tons of restaurants and entertainment.

3. Yosemite National Park, California

This national park contains some of the most breath-taking sights in the natural world, from sky-high Redwood trees to the rocky formations of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Although much of the higher ground will still be covered in snow during spring break, there is plenty to do and see in the valley at warm springtime temperatures.

4. Las Vegas, Nevada

One of the top items to check off your bucket list after you turn 21 is a trip to Las Vegas, and spring break is the perfect time to make that trip. The dry, southwestern weather is great for basking in the sun by the pool during the day and walk comfortably around the Strip at night. In addition to great nightlife, Las Vegas also offers top-notch entertainment, dining, and shopping.

5. Los Angeles, California

Vibrant culture, beautiful year-round weather, and celebrities everywhere you turn: Los Angeles and the surrounding regions of Southern California have it all. Check out the attractions that the film and television industries have to offer, then take a stroll through Griffith Park and enjoy a beautiful Southern California spring day.

6. Washington, D.C.

With the heat and humidity of a Washington, DC summer, spring is a great time to visit our nation's capital. The city is alive with political action, from protests and marches to exhibits and memorials celebrating the great things about our nation. Don't forget to check out the must-see historical sites: the Capitol, the Library of Congress, the Washington Monument, and all the memorials, among others.

7. Nashville, Tennessee

If you're a country music fan, then Nashville is your go-to destination for spring break. Whether you like to pour over classic country records or watch rising stars in concert, Nashville can meet the demand of every country music lover. Plus, soak up the Southern culture here in this Tennessee city.

8. New Orleans, Louisiana

For those seeking a festive time, New Orleans is the place to travel this spring break. Whether you're here for Mardi Gras or just to have a great time with friends, this city will deliver with its upbeat nightlife, exquisite Cajun cuisine, and unique culture.

9. Carlsbad Caverns, New Mexico

With over 100 caves beneath the surface of the Chihuahuan Desert, the Carlsbad Caverns give you a glimpse of the inner workings of our great world. Take a guided cave tour and admire the beauty while you learn about this fascinating ecosystem.

10. Shenandoah National Park, Virginia

The colors come to life in Shenandoah National Park every spring as its diverse array of plant life comes into full bloom. The park is full of trails for rugged backpackers and recreational tourists alike, making it a great place to spend your spring break in the presence of nature.

11. Winter Park, Colorado

If you want one last trip to the slopes before the ski season is over, look no further than Winter Park, Colorado. This resort offers everything from bunny slopes to black diamonds to suit every level of skier, and because of its elevated location in the Rocky Mountains, there is still plenty of snow to ski through during the early springtime.

12. Grand Canyon, Arizona

The Grand Canyon is a must-see destination for many Americans, and there's no better time to visit it than over your spring break. Capture the vivid colors of the glistening rock in the spring sun, and stand in awe of the immensity of this geological marvel.

If you're looking to try something other than the classic Florida beach trip for this year's spring break, the possibilities are endless. From rugged mountains to diverse cities, the United States offers so many opportunities to create the memories of a lifetime. Go explore it!