11 Ways You Can Stay Hydrated In The NOLA Heat

Show this weirdly warm winter who's boss.

19
Unsplash

Even though it's only January, temperatures in New Orleans have been hitting the high 70s this week! In this type of weather, it is very important to stay hydrated, especially if you are going to be spending a lot of time outside in the sun. Here are 11 tips to make sure you don't get dehydrated while enjoying the beautiful, sunny weather in NOLA!

1. Carry a water bottle everywhere you go.

You're way more likely to drink water if you always have it on you. Buy a reusable bottle - its better for the environment and more durable than a flimsy plastic bottle.

2. Flavor your water with slices of lemon or a powder like Crystal Light.

You're more likely to drink it if it tastes good! You can also add fruit slices for a unique flavor.

3. Powerade, Gatorade, and coconut water are also great options.

They replenish electrolytes, which are lost when you sweat. They also come in a variety of yummy flavors!

4. Fruit is your friend.

Most fruits contain a high amount of water. Of course, you should also be drinking water and not just relying on fruits for your source of hydration. Some veggies are also a good source of water, so eat up!

5. Drink water even if you're not super thirsty.

Slight thirst is a sign that you could become dehydrated soon if you don't drink water.

6. Pay attention to urine color.

It should be a light yellow - this means that you are well hydrated. A dark yellow or brown color means you should drink some water ASAP.

7. Favor regular water over drinks with caffeine like coffee or soda.

Caffeine is a diuretic that can pull extra fluid from your body. Always try to reach for plain water first before other alternatives.

8. Instead of chugging a large amount of water in a single sitting, try to sip on it at regular intervals throughout the day.

This is a better method of staying hydrated, because your body can only absorb so much water at once.

9. Alcohol is incredibly dehydrating.

Try to have a glass of water for each alcoholic drink that you consume. This also helps prevent the horrible hangover the day after.

10. Weigh yourself before and after exercising, then drink 20-24 ounces of water for each pound you lost during the workout.

This helps replenish the water you lost through sweat.

11. Lastly, know the signs of dehydration!

Having a headache or feeling tired or dizzy are the most common ones. If you're experiencing any of these symptoms, try drinking some water to see if it helps.