11 Things I Needed To Hear At 15 Years Old

Maybe you're a little awkward now, but you have the world ahead of you.

659
Cameron Ford

I really don't know how you grew up so fast. This is so cliche, but it seems like just yesterday you were 15 and going to your first day of high school. Now you're a Junior in college and about to turn 21.

But these are all things that you really needed to hear at 15 years old (and probably even now). I know you're awkward and shy and self-conscious, and that's okay, but just know that those things won't last forever.

1. Take more pictures

Yes, I typed that right. Take more pictures. One day when you're 21 sitting around with your college friends, those hilariously awkward pictures will give you some much-needed laughs. So take those extra selfies and awkward group pictures.

2. Don't let your looks define you

This is something that I struggled with so much during middle school, and even into high school, and still now in college. When you're 15, it's easy to let yourself just try to blend into the background because you feel ugly or have a couple zits. But guess what? You aren't going to look like that forever. Trust me, it gets better.

So don't worry about how you look. You're a 15-year-old girl with a bright future and you should just be happy and have fun.

3. Go get your eyebrows done

I know I just said "don't let your looks define you," but you really probably should get rid of your unibrow. Or maybe on second thought, do just wait a couple more years, because once you start, the madness never stops.

4. Stop worrying so much about what other people think of you

Another hard thing to do as an adult, much less a 15-year-old. But still, something you should always keep in mind. Don't let other people judge you and make you be someone you don't want to be. Be yourself. The person you are is beautiful and amazing, so please don't let others change that, because if they're trying to change you, they aren't your real friends. So don't worry about them and just be you!

5. You don't want to grow up

Please stop wishing these days away. At 15, all you want is to be 16 and have your license, or be 18 and graduate high school and go to college. Stop that. All of those things will come fast enough. Enjoy these days because they are going to fly by.

6. Keep pushing yourself

I promise you, all that pressure you're putting on yourself right now will pay off. Even though you're only in 9th grade, keep making sure you're studying hard, doing your homework and making the best grades you possibly can. Remember, time is going to fly and college is right around the corner.

Also, if you ever decide to slack off and stop pushing yourself, your parents will be right there to push you. Thank them for that.

7. Take advantage of every single opportunity you are offered

You're going to a great school, you're smart and you have lots of opportunities to take advantage of, both big and small. An opportunity can be something as small as just being in class. Make the most of it. Do your best, ask questions and build strong relationships with your teachers, friends, and classmates.

8. Listen to your parents

Believe it or not, they really do know what they're talking about. They love you so much and only want the best for you. Talk to them, listen to them and don't have a smart mouth. Your mama will hit you.

9. Smile

I know you're self-conscious about those braces, but you have a beautiful smile. Don't be afraid to show it!

10. Don't get your hair cut short

Some girls look amazing with short hair. You are not one of those girls.

11. Always remember to look around and be thankful for everything you have

You have so many things going for you and so much ahead. Don't forget to pause and thank God every day for all of the wonderful things and people He has blessed you with. You're so incredibly blessed, so don't forget that.