11 Reasons to Appreciate Winter in Santa Cruz

Let me count the ways...

902
US Sports Camps

Being from southern California winter is a wonderful mystical thing that sort of shows up for a couple weeks each year, but mostly just bridges fall--which is already negligible--and spring.

So what to do for those of us who love winter but live in an urbanized desert that only occasionally dips into the 60s and, gasp, 50s during waking hours. Well, I made the decision to go to college in northern California in order to get my fill of slightly colder and rainy weather every holiday season. It is my third year living in Santa Cruz, and I love nothing more than getting a little bundled up for every activity. However, this past year, we pretty much skipped over fall completely with the summer heat lasting until a couple weeks ago when a cold snap hit along with a couple downpours of rain. Having to wait this long for winter this year helped me appreciate Santa Cruz's specific brand of cold a little more so I decided to enumerate the ways in no particular order below!

1. Fog

One of the special things about being a university located both at the beach and in the forest is the incredible fog we get almost daily during the cold months. It makes you feel like you're getting a big cold, and slightly moist hug, enveloping our whole little bay city. It's also incredibly pretty.

2. Sunsets

Wintertime Cruz sunsets are actually insane. Since this Instagram post by a friend of mine a week or two ago, a couple dozen more have been posted by various friends of mine on campus. Also, I just checked my Snapchat and literally five different friends posted pictures of tonight's sunset. The sky turns all sorts of colors (although usually orange and pink) and the aforementioned fog, also, sometimes means clouds that streak through the sky and get lit up an array of hues. Also you get to watch the sunsets over the ocean: what could be better?

3. Nighttime

Nighttime in the Cruz gives the sunsets a run for their money, however. Usually at night the fog dissipates and we are left with a beautiful clear sky where I can see more stars on a cloudy night than I ever could in Los Angeles. Either that or it is cloudy, and then you just get a nice chill in the air, sometimes accompanied by a less "chill" wind.

4. Coffee

Good coffee is everywhere in the Cruz--some of our best shops in the downtown area are outlined here--and when it's brisk out and you have a lot of studying or homework to do, nothing will do a better job of keeping you warm and perking you up. Basically pairing already good coffee with the invigorating cold is a recipe for happiness. (And for the record, rainy day coffees are even better.)

5. The beach

As I mentioned earlier, the beach can be great during winter as a place to go for sunset viewing, but it can be even better on those foggy days. Going to the beach when the air is crisp and you have to be bundled up to look out at two planes of grey meeting on the horizon helps you appreciate the beauty of the beach in a completely different way. Plus some of the beaches allow bonfires, which make a great nighttime hangout spot with friends that'll keep you warm.

6. The forest

To me, one of the biggest selling points of UC Santa Cruz was the fact that I get to go to school in the forest. Case in point, that above image is our main library, nestled away amongst many, many redwoods. The forest is pretty year round, but during winter when that fog rolls in it looks like I go to school on the set of a horror movie. I realize this may sound unappealing to some people, but when you're truly socked in among nature in its multiple forms it's very relaxing and makes for a good study view.

7. Rain

Rain in Santa Cruz makes truly happier than almost anything else in the world. Just last week we had a huge storm and it showered all day, while one of my housemates and I sat in the living room, looking out and exclaiming "Oh my god, this weather!" And while it is the perfect weather to enjoy from the comfort of your own home, as it makes for ideal lay in bed and do nothing (or watch a movie) weather it can even be nice on campus when you're not having to trek through it. It makes the trees smell good, adds to the atmosphere, and brings out all the...

8. Animals!

Well, we actually have some of them take cover, but I've seen a ton of animals so far this winter season so I'm going to claim they all come out play. We mostly get banana slugs (our dope school mascot!) when the wet season hits, but lately I've also seen deer hanging in the forest, raccoons are a daily occurrence, and Hank the turkey is still terrorizing those trying to park on the east side of campus.

9. The "cold"

Do you see what those students are wearing? One is in a t-shirt, one has a puffer jacket, and one is in a slug costume! What do all of these items have in common? Nothing! And that's the point. While Santa Cruz will occasionally be actually cold, most times it is the perfect level of chilliness. Want to wear jeans and a shirt? Go for it. Want to throw on a sweater? You'll probably also be fine! Essentially, you do you, man.

10. Walking to class

Since attending college here, I've always made the joke that it is a 15 minute hike anywhere on campus. And I've always had non-UCSC friends scoff at my remarks only to come visit and be proven very wrong. They'll be panting and sweating, unable to cover distances I have to hurry across in 20 minutes between classes. And I will admit that there are many days that I myself will still both profusely sweating and panting, taking off layers and putting my hair up along the way (especially with all the heat we've had rather recently). But when it's cold out, something amazing happens, you can walk to class without breaking a sweat, and maybe even keep your sweater on the whole way.

11. Heat!

Finally, but almost most importantly. When I used to sweat on my way to class I'd eventually plop doing in a hot classroom filled with other overheated and sweaty students because about two buildings at UC Santa Cruz have A/C. And while most of the time the cold isn't that cold, the rain isn't that rainy, and the fog isn't that foggy there are days that one or all of these weather systems hit hard. And on those days I am so thankful that every building does, in fact, have heat because it makes suffering through class just a little bit cozier.

So, my fellow Banana Slugs, take a moment out of your day during finals this week to look around and appreciate the beautiful winter wonderland you live in; it may make it easier to keep on keeping on.