11 Reasons I Don't Miss High School

11 Reasons I Don't Miss High School

It gets better kids, I promise you it gets better.

667
11 Reasons I Don't Miss High School

Let me start off by saying that not all of high school sucked, I have some great friends that I will keep forever! Although, a majority of high school sucked. That’s not poetic or worded beautifully, it’s just the truth. And the following are 11 reasons I would never return to high school.

1. The “popular crowd”, that no one quite knows why they’re “popular”

No really, keep talking loudly about how drunk you are right now while about to take your midterms. Or how your parents gave you condoms at fourteen. I don’t care about your life, you do you, but I don’t need to hear about it.

2. The seven hour class days

I didn’t realize how hard it is to stay at school for seven hours at a time until I don’t have classes until 11:10 am. I don’t think I could go back to waking up at 6 am.

3. Waking up early going to go to school

As stated previously, 7 am could never possibly happen again after my life now.

4. Teachers using their entire designated block times of teaching

If my professors are done 20+ minutes before classes are supposed to end, they don’t come up with busy work, they let us go early.

5. Gym class

Every school has those guys in gym class that go too hard or are too aggressive, and those people that stand around doing nothing. I will not miss either end of the spectrum.

6. Dress code

LET ME SAY THIS LOUDLY FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK. STORES DO NOT SELL BERMUDA SHORTS FOR TEENAGE GIRLS. WE DON’T WEAR SHORTS TO SCHOOL TO DISTRACT BOYS. WE WEAR SHORTS TO SCHOOL BECAUSE THE SCHOOL SYSTEM DOESN’T PAY FOR AC AND WITHOUT IT WE WILL SWEAT TO DEATH. DON’T SEXUALIZE MY BODY BECAUSE OF THE FACT I SWEAT TOO.

7. Teachers that take their jobs too seriously.

I agree that everyone should be passionate about what they do, but being rude to students and unwilling to give extra help in a high school CP class is unprofessional. College professors get away with it because they have TA’s to help, don’t be a terrible person and help the students.

8. The food

I’m probably spoiled now going to the University of New Hampshire with their nationally ranked healthy food programs, but because of how spoiled I’ve been I could never go back to cardboard flavored $3 pizza and pesticide flavored $5 salads.

9. Cliques

If you say that cliques don’t exist in high school, it’s probably because you belonged to the worst one. Just because people are in cliques don’t make them terrible people or anything, but there are the sporty kids, the theater kids (hollah), the student government / preppy kids, and everywhere inbetween. Whether you’re in a clique or not, it sucks because you feel unable to talk to anyone outside of your group of friends. There were so many seemingly great people I wanted to meet in high school that were out of my friend group, so I never got the confidence to do it. That’s not something that could get in my way now in college.

10. Certain activities being deemed lame or stupid

In college, you do what you want and you’re cool for it. Two of the coolest and most popular activities at the University of New Hampshire are BINGO NIGHT and KNITTING CLUB. If you’re doing what you love, that’s what’s cool. High school should be treated more like that.

11. If you don’t like someone, you can’t avoid them

It was the biggest pain to have a friend of a friend you don’t like. Constantly being at the same sleepovers or parties with people you don’t like can cause quite a headache. Guess what, once you’re in college, if you don’t like someone you don’t have to see them. So no more fake being nice to keep the peace, because you can just get away from them.

High school wasn’t bad, I have some great memories. Granted, the bad memories probably weigh out the good memories, so I couldn’t be happier to now be a Wildcat. If you’re in high school - don’t worry. It’s four years, and then it’s over. You can do it. Enjoy the great parts of it while it lasts.