100 Days In Athens

100 Days In Athens

"A hundred bad days made a hundred good stories/A hundred good stories make me interesting at parties" -AJR

86
100 Days In Athens

Since I first moved into my dorm on August 11th, I have been logging my daily activities and emotions. This idea started through a mere post on my "Finsta" but has grown into a collection of memories amassing 103 days and counting. Instead of boring you with the specific details, I will go week-by-week – noting highlights, lowlights and some of the interesting times I have had in Athens thus far.

At Freshman Welcome with my hallmates

Week 1: Days 1-7 (August 11-17)

This week was the "get-to-know" week. I met my hallmates, reconnected with my orientation friends and got acclimated to campus. Within my first seven days at UGA, I got hypnotized, acted as the "mom" downtown and got pulled over by a cop coming back from Wendy's (probably the most awkward experience to this day). I wasn't feeling too homesick; however, all of my in-state friends were excited for their friends to visit campus – a privilege that I did not have.

My Dance Team

Week 2: Days 8-14 (August 18-24)

The week started strong, but I realized that while I became close with my hallmates in such a short period, I wanted to "spread my wings past Hill Hall." While I did not successfully achieve this goal this week, I accomplished something different. I found similarities with my two hallmates, Abby and Tess, who I hung out with a great deal throughout the week. This week was also the week of the infamous glue-stick costume/Snelling story which will probably go down as one of the strangest things I have done on campus. To finish off the week, I made the competitive dance team then went to my friend Ben and Lance's room with my friends Caroline and Arianna. Here we came in contact with our lovely friend "Bacon" in addition to Luke who agreed to drive me to Knoxville in October.

Your browser does not support the video tag. Just Jumpin' with Ben & Lances3.amazonaws.com

Week 3: Days 15-21 (August 25-31)

80% of students end up changing their major at least once during college, and this week, I did just that – switching from Management to Sports Management. I'm not saying this will be a permanent choice, yet I am glad I did so. In addition to my lovely major change, I applied and interviewed for multiple organizations. (Spoiler Alert: I did not get chosen for any of them!) Other than that, it consisted of more bonding and experiencing all that college has to offer.

Phi Slam's Big Party with Tess & Abby

Week 4: Days 22-28 (September 1-7)

The days started becoming monotonous until the first week of September. Starting with going to Ponce City Market with Abby and Tess on Sunday, then a Braves game on Thursday and Phi Slam's BIG PARTY on Friday – this week was something special, to say the least. I branched out my circle a little further and experienced my first Saturday in Athens once the weekend hit. At this game, we met a group of freshmen – one whom I still am friends with – and afterward, I had my first of many Creswell volleyball games.

Bridget Visiting UGA

Week 5: Days 29-35 (September 8-14)

Things continued to go up. I finished my first college paper and took my first college exam which went better than expected. This week I started attending Phi Slam's Swing Dance every Tuesday – something I am truly thankful for. The week was full of a lot of work in preparation for Friday because my friend from high school, Bridget, was visiting. This visit was much appreciated and I thoroughly enjoyed sharing my love for the university with a familiar face. Together, we experienced yet another Georgia victory and late-night Creswell volleyball game before we had to part ways.

At College GameDay with Abby and Cameron

Week 6: Days 36-42 (September 15-21)

While my goal was to "spread my wings past Hill Hall"; instead, I met new friends from my hall, just a different floor. Becoming an honorary member of Hill Hall Floor 3 came at the perfect time. This week was full of new friends and experiences. – Ramsey Palooza, an Ice Dawgs game, a Phi Slam event, College GameDay then the big Notre Dame game. I got little to no sleep, but at the end of Day 42, I forgot about the sleep deprivation because I finally felt like I was making friends and truly experiencing all that college has to offer.

Your browser does not support the video tag. Sneezing because I was sick:(s3.amazonaws.com

Week 7: Days 43-49 (September 22-28)

Everybody experiences the hump. You know, that week, when there is a lull in activity and everything seems to be going poorly. For me, it was nearly the midpoint of my time in Athens. I was sick, had minimal events and to top it off, no football! Other than swing dance, practice and a few sporting events, life was boring. Once the boredom struck, my homesickness set in. I realized that it was going to be 2 months before I came home, the downside of being an out-of-state student. I was at the point in the semester when there were so many things to look forward to, but nothing in the present moment – a difficult problem that I luckily overcame.

At Tennessee with my friend Kylie & her suitemates

Week 8: Days 50-56 (September 29-October 5)

The simple way to describe this week was "Same Ole Same Ole," until the weekend hit at least. While my life was not as dull as the week prior, it was still not my peak. The one thing that kept me uplifted was a weekly swing dance. Now that I've mentioned swing dance multiple weeks in a row, I want to go on a quick tangent. Every week I looked forward to Tuesdays because of swing dance. It was my way to meet new like-minded people and step out of my comfort zone for an hour or two – something that helped me get through the rough times these past 100 days. Now back to the week, because it wasn't completely boring! I decided to book a flight home for Fall Break – a much-needed trip after a rough patch – and after a long week of small-scale events, I headed to Knoxville for the Georgia-Tennessee game with Luke (See Week 2). I stayed with my friend from high school, Kylie, and her suitemates. This trip was a nice break from the routine, helping me to realize that homesickness is completely normal and difficult to deal with.

My "Big" on my dance team, Olivia

Week 9: Days 57-63 (October 6-12)

Still in Tennessee on Sunday, I was glad to visit but excited to return to Athens. This week, I focused more on self-care and studying, but still managed to fit in some fun. I met new friends at a swing dance, had a big-little reveal for dance, and packed my schedule Thursday-Saturday. Thursday I lived out my dream of riding in the back of a tailgate thanks to my friend Will. Friday was a little different. I volunteered with my sports management major, went to an Ice Dawgs game and bonded with Tess and Darby (Oh yeah, meet my friend Darby!). Saturdays were for the Dawgs and my newly acquired Mexican Train set which became a weekly tradition. Things were livening up and I completely forgot about the misery I was in during Weeks 7 and 8.

Meet Angelica & Ella

The Week 10: Days 64-70 (October 13-19)

I did not expect much from Homecoming Week; however, it was one for the books. With events every night, I was always up and moving – something I thoroughly enjoy. Other than my first rainy Saturday in Athens, the two major highlights have to be the Morph Suit Adventure and Homecoming Carnival. No, I am not saying a mere carnival was a highlight of my first semester in college, but I met two people who have been by my side ever since – Ella and Angelica. These two friends will be reappearing in the following weeks and hopefully throughout future semesters too.

At Phi Slam's Halloween Party with Ella, Lily & Angelica

Week 11: Days 71-77 (October 20-26)

This week started with a lot of studying, but only went up from there. There were two Phi Slam events – swing dance and their Halloween party – both of which made me love Athens even more. In addition to Ella and Angelica, I met Lily at Phi Slam's Halloween Party – another reoccurring friend & one of my future roommates. The week featured a trip to Savannah with DGK (my broadcasting professional frat). This trip went better than expected and I left the trip with a few new friends who are also pursuing careers in journalism.

Me with my "Floor 3" friends Hannah & Morgan, and my friend Kayla

Week 12: Days 78-80 (October 27-November 2)

While this week was full of Halloween antics, it was not completely spent in Athens. I started it off a little differently than normal, "Completing My UGA Bucket List," for a video. Not everybody may have a valid excuse to walk around campus and simply talk to strangers, but if you can come up with one, I would highly recommend. After going to BYX's Halloween Party on Day 80, I left for home – something I was looking forward to. Since I wasn't in Athens for the rest of the week, I'll keep it short, sweet and to the point. I love home – visiting family and friends was amazing – however, after coming home, I realized just how much I love Athens.

Abby, Tess, John and I Before the Game

Week 13: Days 81-87 (November 3-9)

It seems like a theme where I have tests at the beginning of the week, and this week was no different. After I studied for hours on end, I celebrated by going to a basketball game then swing dance (This week I met a new friend named Matt). Wednesday was more exciting than normal because my dance team performed at the Atlanta Hawks game, so Abby and Tess drove to Atlanta to watch the performance. At the end of the week, I went to Mr. Catholic Center with Angelica and Katie (oh yeah, meet my friend Katie), then to a party with Faith (See Week 4. "one whom I still am friends with"). Saturday was a cold day in Athens spent going to lunch, the football game and Cane's with Tess, Abby, Will, and Abby/Will's friend John – of course, finished off with a late-night game night.

Abby, Lily & I at the Auburn Game

Week 14: Days 88-94 (November 10-16)

This week started as my first of many "Midlife Crisis'." The reason for my hardship is difficult to explain but luckily did not last very long. By Thursday, I was eating dinner with my RA Sophia and friends Brooklyn and Gabbi. Afterward, I vented to my friends, Naomi, Anna, Delaney and Hannah before realizing that my midlife crisis was just me overreacting. This week was topped off with a last-minute day trip to Auburn with Abby, Lily and Abby's friend Bailey. A much-needed getaway from the hustle and bustle of Athens.

Hannah, Matt, Matt's Friend and I at Swing Dance

Week 15: Days 95-101 (November 17-23)

Week 15 started off bad, but quickly gained strength in part because of the last swing dance of the season. I didn't have any tests but prepared for a group presentation which went better than expected on Friday which was also coincidentally Day 100. Day 100 was very eventful, to say the least. I had Friendsgiving at the Catholic Center, went to Phi Slam's date night and a party with Faith. To finish off the week, I experienced my second rainy Saturday in Athens.

A Mirror Pic with Arianna, Chloe, Ben, Abby & I

Week 16: Days 102-103 (November 24-30)

Thanksgiving Week was short-lived in Athens, but I still made memories. I went to Ike & Jane, a cafe that has officially closed, with Abby, Angelica and Ella then my first Student Mass Dinner with Angelica. Afterward, something special happened – I reconnected with a few friends who have become distant in the last 100 days. While making new friends is amazing and it was nice to "spread my wings past Hill Hall," sometimes you take friends for granted. These two days helped me to realize what I am truly thankful for. And, the next morning I headed off to the airport with Abby. And now … I am home for Turkey Day.

When I first got dropped off in Athens on August 11th, I wouldn't have expected the rollercoaster that I would go through during my first few months in college. I have made some of the best memories with some of my closest friends. While the semester is not completely done, finals season is upon us, so the days of studying will feel like weeks. The greatest thing I have learned in college thus far is to count. Do not countdown the days until, but instead count the days. Count the memories and experiences. Count the laughs and cries. Count the blessings you have. Most importantly, count on the friends who you share the days with. It feels like just yesterday I arrived in Athens, but after 100 days, I am looking forward to seeing what will happen after 100 more days.

From Your Site Articles
Related Articles Around the Web