10 Ways To Make The Most Of Your 2020 Summer If You Live In South Florida

In the tri-county area of Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties, there is so much to do!!

185
Personal Picture

South Florida is not only a popular summer tourist destination, but it is also home to so many locals that know there is so much to do right in their backyard, but always complain their bored and can't think of any fun activities to keep themselves busy. Between Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami, there is about two hours worth of land surrounded by beaches and countless hours of unique things to do and add to your bucket list. Whether you are visiting, or you've lived here your whole life, here are 10 iconic and entertaining opportunities you should take advantage of this Summer:

1. Experience a drive through safari

This one of a kind unique experience is right in our backyard at Lion Country Safari. Located in Loxahatchee, FL in the heart of Palm Beach County, you and whoever you can fit in your car can drive through a real wildlife preserve with an audio tour! In today's climate, this is a perfect way to do something fun with your children without breaching their exposure to COVID-19, but if you want some in person experiences, check out Zoo Miami, Flamingo Gardens, and the Palm Beach Zoo, among others.

2. Waste away in Margaritaville 

With an appropriately decorated Jimmy Buffet hotel that serves drinks on Hollywood Beach, what is not to love??

*Que "It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere" by Alan Jackson*

3. Take a dip at Rapids Water Park

I'm pretty sure every South Floridian has made the trip to Rapids at least once, but this often forgotten right of passage is the perfect destination for summer fun! Located in Riviera Beach, FL (West Palm Beach), Rapids is the area's most popular water park with a lazy river, tons of waterslides, and pools. There is also other parks like Quiet Waters and C.B. Smith that are also in the Tri-County area and have more low-key, but still super fun water parks.

4. Shop 'til you drop at Sawgrass Mills Mall

This is definitely a must-do in South Florida at least once. This mall, located in Sunrise, FL, has a great selection of regular and outlet-style stores that will give you the best bang for your buck. Don't let all the tourists with luggage scare you off, this mall is a staple to the South Florida shopping scene.

5. Spend a day at the giant Guitar hotel

The Hard Rock hotel and casino was already a huge part of the South Florida culture, but now with the new Guitar-shaped hotel, everyone is raving about how cool the franchise is. The new hotel is equipped with a luxury pool, a handful of nightclubs and bars, spas, shops, golf, casino games, and restaurants on site for all guests to enjoy. Venturing on over to this hotel in Hollywood, FL can be loads of fun for all ages.

6. Have a full-blown beach day 

After all, this is South Florida. Between all three counties, there is a beach within 30 minutes of you at all times and the weather is always warm. Grab your cutest suit, double check for lots of water and sunscreen, and pack a cooler (do not forget the Publix subs) before heading down to one of the many gorgeous beaches. South Beach, Delray, and Ft. Lauderdale beaches are more tourist-oriented and always packed, but crowd favorites for sure. There's also a few cool part-lake, part-beach places that are also worth checking out.

7. Go to a Swap Shop drive-in movie

Going to the Swap Shop itself is an adventure that I feel like everyone should do at least once, but after the re-opening of their drive-in movie section, it is definitely worth a trip over there. Over in Ft. Lauderdale, the big screen is showing old movies at 8:30 P.M. every night for just $2 a kid and $7 an adult. You can sit and watch a movie comfortably in your own car, without fear of contracting the Coronavirus and experience something you may have never done before.

8. Tee off at Top Golf

I know Top Golf is a chain, but it is a very fun chain at that. Top Golf is essentially darts in golf form and it is a fun outing for families and adults alike. There is also a handful of places with a similar idea to Top Golf that are exciting to check out as well.

9. Waltz around Wynwood

The art deco area of Miami is an art-lovers dream. Throughout that whole sector, there is cool buildings, colors, architecture, and so much to explore. Undoubtedly, the most fun is the Wynwood Walls. The entire Wynwood area has amazing art, delicious (and overpriced) food, and fabulous photo-ops for a day full of fun. Best of all, admission to the Wynwood Walls art area is free!

10. *BONUS* Venture into The Keys for tropical fun 

Between some really tropical resorts and bars and the ability to interact with all the wildlife, The Keys (which is not exactly in the Tri-State area, but pretty close) allows you to relax on the beach, fish and boat, swim with dolphins, and feed tarpon.