10 Ways To Help You Get Into The Gym

10 Ways To Help You Get Into The Gym

Here are a few tips to help you fit exercise into your schedule and motivate you to go.

60
10 Ways To Help You Get Into The Gym
Gear Patrol

Managing your time as a college student is something everyone struggles with. Finishing your homework should always be a top priority but with that comes a lot of time consumption from studying. Going to the gym is usually people’s last priority. Here are ten simple steps to take that will help motivate you, and help you fit exercise into your busy college schedule.

1. Use a Calendar

Using a calendar can help you sort out what time in the day is best to go to the gym. Whether it’s a calendar on your phone or one hanging on your wall, both work and will help you in a lot of ways. Make sure you consistently write when you plan on going or when you went to the gym.

2. Publicize it

Publishing that you’re going to the gym or what goal you plan to reach at the gym on social media keeps you accountable and motivates you to stick with it.

3. Go at a consistent time, every time

If you make it a habit to go at a certain time every day, you’re less likely to skip out on the gym. It’s okay if you have something going on during your usual gym time, just try to stay as close to your normal time as possible, even if it’s an hour or more off.

4. Have realistic health/fitness goals

Don’t start off by saying you’re going to get a six pack in two weeks, it’s not going to happen. Focus on a basic fitness goal such as building muscle or losing weight. Research or ask other gym goers about which exercises will help you reach your goal before you even step into a gym. Knowing which machines do what, and how to work out will help you feel more confident about going.

5. Have a positive attitude about it.

If you look at exercise as a waste of time, you’ll never be motivated to do it. Start your routine out with a positive outlook and focus on all the benefits you will have from it.

6. Get over your “gym-intimidation”

Yes, we all have it or have had it before, but it’s time for you to realize everyone is there to do the same thing as you and no one comes there to watch and judge you. Sometimes you may get the occasional “hey, you might need to straighten your back or you’ll hurt yourself”, that’s okay! It’s good advice.

7. Take it easy

Go slow with your routine for the first few weeks. This gives you time to add or eliminate what is and isn’t working for you. It is perfectly fine to start with simple exercises to help you get comfortable with going.

8. Don't let your emotions keep you away

Try not to let your emotions keep you cooped up in your room. If you're stressed or sad, working out will help you feel a lot more relaxed and happier.

9. Always challenge yourself

The more you push yourself the more progress you’ll make. Don’t be complacent, once things become easier try doing more reps.

10. Find a workout partner

Easier said than done. It will take time to find someone who is willing to go consistently with you but once they do, you are able to keep each other accountable. If you can’t find a workout partner go to the gym anyway, you’re more than likely to meet someone there who will work out with you.

Fitting anything extra into your college schedule is difficult and takes time just to manage your time. It’s okay if you miss a gym day occasionally, but don’t let it stop you from reaching your fitness goals. It will be better to look back at the end of the semester and think about how many times you went to the gym rather than saying you quit going altogether.