10 Surefire Ways To Get Fit For The People Who Hate Running

If you hate running, there are 10+ other things you can do to stay fit!

33
Samantha Goldberg

I hate running. That hard, tense feeling of repetitively stomping your feet and feeling uneasy in your chest and knees is not an enjoyable experience. In middle school, I always did my best to fake an injury so I wouldn’t have to run the dreaded mile or take part in the deadly shuttle runs. But somehow, the kid who deliberately chose not to run in gym class is a college athlete and needs to get fit. Below are 10 ways to workout that avoid running:

1. SoulCycle

It’s a dance party on a stationary bike. SoulCycle is a forty-five minute cycling class featuring motivational instructors, epic spaces, a supportive atmosphere, and upbeat music. My best friend begged me to go to a class with her and I’m glad I got to see what all the rave was about. SoulCycle is an adventure. First of all, I loved that the lights were turned off, so it was mostly black, where no one could see me struggle. Then the music came on, and I felt like I was at a concert. The warmup killed my legs, but after ten minutes of riding I couldn’t feel them anymore. Sometimes we did these moves where we threw our arms in the air and clapped while our legs kept cycling! Almost everyone in the class was drenched with sweat after. It was a climb, a walk in the park, a sprint, and a dance all in one. Did I mention that every studio sells SoulCycle apparel and accessories?

2. Pilates

Undoubtedly my favorite type of exercise on the list. Pilates is designed to improve physical strength, flexibility, posture, and mental awareness. This form of exercise focuses on the alignment of the body and breathing. I’ve found that Pilates is relaxing, yet challenging. In the classes I go to, we use mats, light-weights (I use three pounds), a latex band, and a Pilates toning ring or block. It’s also a full body workout, so you definitely wake up the next morning in pain (the good kind). As the kid who skipped the mile, count me out for sit-ups too. But after four months of a weekly Pilates class, I have found a significant increase in my abdominal strength and could probably kill that presidential fitness test now.

3. Zumba

If you’re looking for way to burn calories, get your heartbeat going, and dance to your favorite songs, then Zumba is the workout is for you. Zumba is an aerobic (involves cardio) form of exercise inspired by various styles Latin American dance and can be done to either Latin American or pop/hip-hop songs. The routines usually consist of a combination of repetitive simple dance moves that rely on the beat of the music. This workout in disguise can improve your core and lower back strength, timing, and well-being. Research shows that the people who hate exercise, typically love Zumba.

4. Barre

It’s a ballet class on steroids. Barre classes are upbeat, intense, and done to up to date pop music. Classes begin with a warm up focusing on posture, improving upper back strength, and alignment. The warmup is followed by a series of upper body exercises using light weights. What makes barre different than most traditional workout classes is the use of a ballet barre. The ballet barre is used to sculpt the lower body, core, and enhance flexibility training. Using the bar is my favorite part of class because it makes me feel like I’m in Taylor Swift’s “Shake It Off” music video. Then, we head down to the mat with a fitball for core work. Finally, the class finishes with a relaxing, well-earned final stretch.

5. Biking

Biking is probably one of the most relaxing, yet beneficial forms of exercise on this list. I absolutely love going on scenic bike rides through my neighborhood or while exploring a foreign country. You can set the pace of the ride with sprints, hills, or just biking on a leveled road.

6. Rowing

Rowing is the full body workout you never imagined. The machine used in rowing classes is called an erg, which is a simulation of the sport. During a class, your instructor will encourage you to row at different speeds and use different levels of force. Rowing tones your muscles, improves your cardio, and strengthens your core. Some instructors like to throw in exercises off the erg such as burpies and push-ups, but if you have an erg at home, then you don't have to add extra pain to your workout. For the few times I had to run the day after a rowing class, I felt like my legs got stronger and I was less tired after my run.

7. The 7 Minute Workout

The 7 Minute Workout is a high intensity interval training app for your iPhone that can be done practically anywhere. In approximately 7 minutes, you will have completed a set of jumping jacks, push-ups, crunches, step ups, high knees, squats, tricep dips, lunges, and push-ups with rotations. In addition to these sets, you will hold a wall sit, plank, and side planks. This is the perfect workout if you're unable to make it to the gym or didn't make it into one of your workout classes. Research has shown that in some cases, it is more beneficial to complete a few minutes of short, intense training rather several hours of running. Woohoo!

8. TRX Training

TRX Suspension Training, utilizes the TRX, a tool that leverages gravity and the person's body weight to complete a number of exercises. Developed in the Navy SEALs, Suspension Training increases a person's strength, balance, flexibility, and core. I love TRX training, it makes me feel like a superhero and I forget that I'm working out. My personal trainer likes to use this during a "recovery day" to fix any mistakes in my technique. The TRX is quite flexible when it comes to difficulty, the user is in charge of how challenging they want their workout to be.

9. Kickboxing

Kickboxing is a form of martial arts that combines boxing, kicking, and karate. It combines cardio with strength training, and tones muscle while burning fat. It's also helpful to gain a little knowledge of self defense from a class of kickboxing. For me, kickboxing classes are similar to Zumba except there's way more kicking and punching than dancing. Your instructor will give you a series of sequences that you will perform to upbeat and motivating music. Kickboxing is great stress and anger reliever.

10. Yoga

After a long, tiring week of work or school, yoga is a great way to get your exercise in. Derived from the Hindu culture, yoga is a form of exercise that practices controlled breathing, meditation, posture and body alignment. The goal of yoga is to improve one's health and relaxation. I've found that yoga relaxes almost all of my muscles, including the more tense ones. There are different types of yoga such as Vinyasa, Ashtanga, Yin, and hot yoga, so everyone can find the style that works for them!

Regardless of what form of exercise you choose, it's important to know that you'll get the most out of a workout if you put your all into it. Although you may feel sweaty and gross on the outside, the post workout feeling of knowing you worked your hardest is one of the best feelings.